Mythic Darkest Dungeon Kickstarter Backers done dirty
Posted by oldcurmudgeonstudios

Mythic just released an update for their Darkest Dungeon game, asking for an additional "contribution" to be able to ship the games that backers already paid the shipping on. But later in the update, it's no longer a contribution, but an out and out demand for the extra shipping, or you'll have to pick it up from China yourself.

"Your game is printed, it's yours, and it's currently stored in China. If you are unable to pay this contribution immediately, we will store your game for as long as possible."

Posted by david campbell

Yeah, got that a little while ago. I wasn't tracking the drama, my usual MO for Kickstarter is back and then it shows up someday, so when I saw the email I thought "Wow, that sucks, no problem'.

And then I went and read the background on the Kickstarter page. Not sure what to do now, and a limited time to decide.....

Right. I spent $600, so they have me over a barrel. I'll end up paying for it, but I won't be surprised if they pull the same trick for the Wave 2 stuff, that I'll have paid shipping for twice already.

Planning on giving them an ear full at the con.

And, usually, I'm right there with you regarding the back and forget MO. Be pleasantly surprised when it shows up, but in this case, if you do that, you'll never get the items you backed.

Posted by david campbell oldcurmudgeonstudios

oldcurmudgeonstudios wrote:
And, usually, I'm right there with you regarding the back and forget MO. Be pleasantly surprised when it shows up, but in this case, if you do that, you'll never get the items you backed.

Yup. I know I'll pay, and they know it too, I'm just out here pretending I have Free Will for a few minutes :)

Posted by cinnibar

Wait until they are selling copies on the floor shipping-free.  THEN you will know hate.

Posted by lore seeker

Wow. That sounds incredibly shitty of them.

Posted by squirecam

Yeah this is all sorts of wrong. You should be able to cancel. Let them sell the set to another. 

But you guys had a deal. And they are breaking it.

Posted by xanathon

This is one reason why I don't back anything on Kickstarter.  Those who rely on Kickstarter seem to forget that they will have to spend their own money on aspects of their projects and thus continue to ask for more money from those who make their Kickstarter project a success.

I've heard the same from Loke Maps on his Kickstarter that he requested more money from his backers because of higher than estimated shipping costs.

Posted by wells

I have cut way back on Kickstarters during COVID and all the shipping issues. I did some small stuff where I was willing to just lose the money. Mythic is not the only board game company in trouble over shipping and delays right now.

Posted by brumcg

I have a ton of sympathy for the backers and (probably) for the publisher.  The shipping crisis is just brutal.

I realized a few years ago that the traditional release model into stores works the best for me.  By the time I receive something, my interested level has likely gone away.  If I back something these days, I kiss my money goodbye and hope I receive something.

Posted by chilepepper

Not as bad as Blacklist Games’ Fantasy Series 1. Six months of lies up to and including “We have written a check to QML and we’re sending them an updated address list.”  Now “We owe QML $60000+, and we’re broke with zero incoming cash.”

Posted by kevinrg

Blacklist and Mythic are on the vendor list.   That will be interesting if they are truly there.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.