Wish List Algorithm
Posted by grognard262

Suppose that I am interested in an event that is being held at multiple times.  If I add both the 9:00AM and 2:00PM versions of the event to my wish list to improve my chances of getting into one of them, do I risk being scheduled twice?  Or does the system know they are the same event and only schedule me for one of them?

To complicate it a bit further, what if the events are equivalent, but named differently?  For example, Baldman Games has:

D&D Experience @ Gen Con - Dreams of the Red Wizards - Tier 1 - Track R
D&D Experience @ Gen Con - Dreams of the Red Wizards - Tier 1 - Track S

These events have the same content, but are both scheduled at different times and named differently.  I'd want one or the other, but not both.

Posted by hahnarama

Nope you risk getting them twice

Posted by austicke

Nothing is automatically purchased. You'll have the opportunity to edit your cart before checking out.

Posted by grognard262 austicke

austicke wrote:
Nothing is automatically purchased. You'll have the opportunity to edit your cart before checking out.

I understand that, but I am trying to deal with this problem:

9:00 AM => Event A (Priority 1) or Event X (Priority 3)
2:00 PM => Event A (Priority 2) or Event Y (Priority 4)

One way or another I am trying to get Event A, at whichever time.  But then for the other time slot, I have another event I would like to get.  So if I get Event A at 9:00, I want Event Y at 2:00, and if I get Event A at 2:00 then I want Event X at 9:00.

If both versions of Event A get added to my shopping cart, then (I assume) both X and Y are blocked because the time is taken and I end up with hole in my schedule.

If the system was smart enough to only schedule Event A one time, then I would have a shot at getting X or Y at the time my wish list was processed.

Posted by austicke grognard262

chaoticneutral262 wrote:If both versions of Event A get added to my shopping cart, then (I assume) both X and Y are blocked because the time is taken and I end up with hole in my schedule.

Yep. How would the system know you only want the event once instead of twice without some complex programming?

Posted by grognard262 austicke

austicke wrote:
chaoticneutral262 wrote:If both versions of Event A get added to my shopping cart, then (I assume) both X and Y are blocked because the time is taken and I end up with hole in my schedule.

Yep. How would the system know you only want the event once instead of twice without some complex programming?

I guess it never occurred to me that someone would want to attend the same event twice.  I suppose in that case they would need an "Only Schedule This Event One Time" checkbox to let the user to decide.

Posted by elvinlord

Dont worry about getting multiple tickets for the same game, you will be lucky to get even one of your slots for anything remotely "hot" or limited.  Just wish list every time slot avaible putting most desirable slots first and cross your fingers

Posted by rgresch

What about the people who run True Dungeon runs 20+ times over the course of the con? They're out there.

Posted by hahnarama

If they ONLY ran event reg like a pre loaded Fantasy Football draft. Rank your picks, and then run a reverse the snake sysytem IMO everyone would be happier 

Posted by tdb hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:
If they ONLY ran event reg like a pre loaded Fantasy Football draft. Rank your picks, and then run a reverse the snake sysytem IMO everyone would be happier 

I totally agree.  A system where everyone gets their first pick before anyone gets their second would be way, way more fair.  And reversing the order of who gets picks every round keeps it pretty fair.

But here's the thing.  From Gen Con's point of view, it's good enough as it is.  People get registered for events, the games have players, and almost everyone puts up with it and has a great time in spite of it.  So how much of GC's limited time and money should be given to improving it?

Posted by armadilloal

At the rate the Wish Lists are processed, something like this would probably take an entire day, if not more, to calculate, and nobody would be able to touch their lists or check out during that time.  I don't think it's particularly viable any time soon.

Posted by kevinrg

While a cycle through the lists in a draft would be ideal, I'd settle for a 'Event in # of people's wish lists'.  If I build out a wish list with all events with 500 people chasing it, I might temper my expectations and put some with less demand.

Posted by kingburgundy kevinrg

kevinrg wrote:
While a cycle through the lists in a draft would be ideal, I'd settle for a 'Event in # of people's wish lists'.  If I build out a wish list with all events with 500 people chasing it, I might temper my expectations and put some with less demand.

This would be great.

Posted by matthewparrish

[This post has been removed]

Posted by toxic_rat kingburgundy

kingburgundy wrote:
kevinrg wrote:

This would be great.
From the EO/GM perspective, this would be nice to have as well.  It would help to know which events should get extra slots.

Posted by derekguder toxic_rat

toxic_rat wrote:From the EO/GM perspective, this would be nice to have as well.  It would help to know which events should get extra slots.

We can provide both the number of wishlists requesting an event and the total number of ticket requests across all wishlists to event organizers - just email [email protected] and we’ll send that to you as soon as we can.

We can’t do it in real-time, though, only have the opening of registration has passed, but it helps in planning for the future, if nothing else.

-
Derek Guder
Director of Events
Gen Con LLC

Posted by toxic_rat derekguder

derekguder wrote:
toxic_rat wrote:From the EO/GM perspective, this would be nice to have as well.  It would help to know which events should get extra slots.

We can provide both the number of wishlists requesting an event and the total number of ticket requests across all wishlists to event organizers - just email [email protected] and we’ll send that to you as soon as we can. We can’t do it in real-time, though, only have the opening of registration has passed, but it helps in planning for the future, if nothing else.
-
Derek Guder
Director of Events
Gen Con LLC
My apologies.  I did mean to say that real-time data would be nice.  We did get a copy of the wishlist data for this year, and it has been quite insightful.  It will get used as we plan for next year.  

Thanks for the response!
Mike
Conspiracy of Gamers EO

Posted by kevinrg derekguder

derekguder wrote:

We can provide both the number of wishlists requesting an event and the total number of ticket requests across all wishlists to event organizers - just email [email protected] and we’ll send that to you as soon as we can.We can’t do it in real-time, though, only have the opening of registration has passed, but it helps in planning for the future, if nothing else.
-
Derek Guder
Director of Events
Gen Con LLC

Instead of real time, any way to have the data displayed as of Midnight (or some other timeframe)

Not perfect, but better than nothing and definitely would help for people to plan.

Posted by derekguder

We would love to add more tools for event organizers to measure potential demand in real time, but realistically that is not something I expect we’ll be able to tackle for quite a while yet.

In the meantime, I advise planning as best you can before event registration opening and then taking a look at what has sold (or not) and making an adjustment a week or two after registration opens.

-
Derek Guder
Director of Events
Gen Con LLC

Posted by toxic_rat

Agreed.  Plus, many of our GM's (me included) are doing other stuff too, so it's not like we have a lot of spare time waiting to be filled with our own new events.

Side note, one of our guys was totally blown away by how many wishlists his stuff was on.  It was like a 4:1 ratio of demand to supply.  He was a little humbled by it.  It's a great resource to have.

Mike
Conspiracy of Gamers EO

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.