AEG Game Night
Posted by nickdog

Hey there. Take this post with a grain of salt.

For the AEG game night, it seems that this is becoming an event that isn't living up to the hype. Last year was mediocre. We got okiaj games and one was late so they made it up with less than average games. OK, last year was a weird year so no biggie. This year, they have a late change to the game line up, from a title that I was very interested in (ready set bet) to a title that is already out and again has an average review. For 40 bucks, it's a great value. Full stop. However, this was a highly anticipated event after I heard about it in 2019. I don't think the two games they are presenting (this old Wall paper and another ran game) is compelling. They have wormholes which seems more compelling and I'm sure some others. Come on AEG, get me excited about this event. I'll probably still go. And I'll probably have a good time. But, I'm just not that excited anymore and I really want to be. It's not you, it's me. 

Posted by timiddrake

I've been going to AEG game night since 2013 or 2014 and it's definitely gone downhill. I decided not to go this year because I haven't been excited about the featured games for a few years now.

Posted by nate_lockhart

Like 7 or 8 years ago I bragged it up to my friends and convinced them to go. That was the year they gave out a box full of empty boxes to put other games in. This year is at least an upgrade from that, but I've sworn the event off. 

Honestly they aren't going to put something that is new and going to be hot in the box because it will hurt their bottom line. I'd be pretty happy if they put in some older games that were good but aren't going to be hot convention sellers rather than whatever they think their con garbage games are. 

Posted by helenbb

I'm not sure how it hurts their bottom line to put something 'hot' in the box. After all you're paying for it with your ticket price.

However, for this year, there may be supply issues and they may only have so much inventory to give out.

Posted by nate_lockhart helenbb

helenbb wrote:
I'm not sure how it hurts their bottom line to put something 'hot' in the box. After all you're paying for it with your ticket price.
However, for this year, there may be supply issues and they may only have so much inventory to give out.
Because they can sell people a couple of games they don't really want through the event and then get some of those people to come to the booth to spend another 50 bucks on the hot game they do want. Not only did they sell some people 3 games instead of two, one of them was at MSRP.

If they give the games people want in the box, they're just selling their hot games at a discount and cutting into full price sales they could be making at the booth. 

Posted by boc_mage

I'm going because i get to hang out and learn and play a few games with friends that i wouldn't otherwise play. Do i expect fantastic value no. Do i expect to have a good time and get value for my ticket absolutely. Ten was my highlight game from last year. 

Posted by kevinrg

I have no frame of reference to what they used to do, but last year was my 1st time going and I enjoyed it.    Think I ended up with 4 games and they had a ton of raffle giveaways.   To me the event was like the $40 random box of game vendors in the hall.  Either you love that type of thing or don't.

Posted by pcorey

I have been stewing on this for a week now, but I think I can now safely say 2022 was my last Big Game Night. Not only were the games mediocre, the actual event was a complete disaster.  Chaotic, poorly run and boring. We were promised we would play three games, not one game over and over...and over. I sold this event to my friends and family and showed up with 8 people. I feel like I robbed my group of their Friday night at Gen Con.

Posted by kevinrg pcorey

pcorey wrote:
I have been stewing on this for a week now, but I think I can now safely say 2022 was my last Big Game Night. Not only were the games mediocre, the actual event was a complete disaster.  Chaotic, poorly run and boring. We were promised we would play three games, not one game over and over...and over. I sold this event to my friends and family and showed up with 8 people. I feel like I robbed my group of their Friday night at Gen Con.

I really enjoyed 2021 big game night as my 1st time attending.  This year was horrible.    I would attend again if I had nothing else to do, but I would not make it a priority.

The person we had teaching the game and the people I was seated with were awesome, but the management/execution of the entire event was lacking.

Posted by ladye nate_lockhart

nate_lockhart wrote:
helenbb wrote:
Because they can sell people a couple of games they don't really want through the event and then get some of those people to come to the booth to spend another 50 bucks on the hot game they do want. Not only did they sell some people 3 games instead of two, one of them was at MSRP.If they give the games people want in the box, they're just selling their hot games at a discount and cutting into full price sales they could be making at the booth. 
And the word of mouth on the latest hot game from the 500 who not only got it at a discount, but can attest to how much fun it is, to 50,000 potential customers, is less than most advertising campaigns. The good word of mouth, versus the current opinion that their event is overhyped, would do them good.

Posted by ladye pcorey

pcorey wrote:
THIS. I completely agree. It was a hot mess, and the line at the end to get the bag was WORSE than the vaxx check line on Wednesday evening. Some of their crew on clean up SHOULD have been on line organization. FYI, from what I saw, the 3rd game was going to be Tiny Towns, which I played in 2019, the last time I was at GenCon.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.