TL;DR - I want to organize a Dune event and I'm looking for advice from others with more experience.
First time Gen Con organizer and attendee. I'll keep this as short as possible. Any advice, either specific to Dune or just in general, is greatly appreciated!
- There are three Dune events already planned, but all of them are full. Is it okay for me to organize a new one? I'd avoid scheduling mine to conflict with theirs, but wasn't sure if this would still be impolite.
- I own one copy of the game and at first was only looking for five additional players. But after asking around on Reddit it seems there's a bit of interest in this. Should I set my maximum number to higher than 6? Also, would it be okay to ask in the event description for others to bring a copy of the game if they own it?
- Thoughts on changing this to a Dune tournament? Good idea, bad idea? If it's a tourny it'd probably need to be three games for prelims (at 5 hours each though is a long time), plus one final championship match.
- This is a more Dune specific question, but think it'd be okay to play by the WBC rule set? I know Dune has far too many house rules and personal interpretations, I figured this would be good way for everyone to be on the same page.
- I'd be willing to teach the rules for new players, but should I mention in the event description rules overview would be taught 45min prior to the start of the game? Or experienced players to show up 45min late?
- Any recommendations for special requests? I'd probably need the 5' round table (my Dune copy is homemade and VERY large). But any other recs?
I appreciate any help given, thanks so much!