Communication with Event Ticket Purchasers
Posted by biffindy

Is there a way to send an email to players that purchase a ticket to a scheduled event?

My goal is to perform some pre-convention coordination with players for an event I want to submit for 2018.  I'm hoping there are some fields in the event submission form that would let me enter the text of an email that would be sent to ticket purchasers.

I know there is a field for the email address of the GM, but I'm looking to actively contact the interested players.
Thanks!

Posted by dblade

There is the automatic email that is sent to players when they purchase a ticket. I forget how many characters are allowed in the message though. If you just need a static message with event details that might work. If you need to have active communication with a little back and forth, I'm not sure how much you can do without the purchasers contacting you directly. The GenCon folk will have a more official answer to that.

Posted by noone

Officially they say the out can’t but when I played a castle falkenstien Larp the guy who ran it sent emails to everyone registered to see their experience and what they would like to play.  If you go to high programmers website you could get the email of the guy who ran it and see how he did it.

Posted by derekguder

When you submit an event, you can add a note to be emailed to everyone who gets a ticket, but there is no way to communicate to players after that point.

We can send emails manually, but that is limited to essential messages, really, and should not be planned on. We don't want to bother players who didn't sign up for notices and we want to minimize the time we spend having to send them out ourselves, as well.

So "Yes, but don't plan on it, it's only for emergencies - use the field on the submission form and plan ahead."

Also: you should always plan for the worst and be prepared for players to show up onsite not having received or taken action on any pre-show instructions, anyway.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by armandopenblade

Is this something that would ever be theoretically changed?

I recall last year that I had a lovely time running for one group of guys in particular and had wanted to get in touch with them for some thoughts on the game, but didn't have any means to do so (and we ran close enough to the end of the session time that it wasn't realistic to get contact info while cleaning off the table for the next GM).

I understand the point about unwanted emails, but (recognizing we're talking dev hours and organizers' attention here), a checkbox could be added to event registration to "Allow Event Organizer to contact me about this event" and, since the system already does have some support for sending that initial email to players, presumably at least some of the tools necessary to do so again (say, post-game) are in place.

Don't want at all to seem demanding; I just think that could be a nice way to foster an even better sense of community among players and GMs :)

Posted by marimaccadmin

Honestly, I don't see that happening. GM's can already add their email to their event listing, as noted above, and can send a message to registered players that they'll receive when they sign up for the event.  The system is already set up to be able to send an email when someone registers for an event; it would be quite a different thing for the system to send an email to the GM every time someone registers for their event, should the attendee opt in.  Honestly, there's a lot more pressing things that need to be done to the system dev side before turning to this.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Ccon LLC

Posted by frif10kitty armandopenblade

armandopenblade wrote:
Is this something that would ever be theoretically changed?
I recall last year that I had a lovely time running for one group of guys in particular and had wanted to get in touch with them for some thoughts on the game, but didn't have any means to do so (and we ran close enough to the end of the session time that it wasn't realistic to get contact info while cleaning off the table for the next GM).
I understand the point about unwanted emails, but (recognizing we're talking dev hours and organizers' attention here), a checkbox could be added to event registration to "Allow Event Organizer to contact me about this event" and, since the system already does have some support for sending that initial email to players, presumably at least some of the tools necessary to do so again (say, post-game) are in place.
Don't want at all to seem demanding; I just think that could be a nice way to foster an even better sense of community among players and GMs :)
One thing you could do, is maybe come to your game with a few business cards (that have your email on it) and if you find a group like that that you want their feedback or opinions you could offer your card and ask them to write you if they have any suggestions.

Just a thought?

Posted by linkn

Just to be clear, it's perfectly fine to have the automatic message sent to attendees include an email address and ask them to contact you, correct?

And yes, if you'd like your players to get in contact, the best thing would be to have something like a business card to hand out, or a sheet of paper for them to write name and email address on.

Posted by derekguder

Yes - there is a field for email address on the submission form and you can request players email you when they sign up, but we encourage GMs to be prepared for players that do not, for whatever reason.

Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

New Post Sign in to write a new post.