General Cost for Running an Event?
Posted by chronicdr2000

This is my first time running an event at Gencon so I get to learn all the fun in's and out's, Weeeeeeee! For my event, we have a meeting room at Lucas Oil. In general, if I am low tech and do not require much at all, what kind of cost am I looking at for running my event? Also any pointers for a first time event runner?

Thanks all!

Posted by marimaccadmin

I'm going to suggest that you review the Event Host Policy, at:

https://files.gencon.com/genconeventhostpolicy.pdf

It talks about all the aspects of your event, specifically, what you pay for and what you do not, and note particularly what A/V you are provided in your large seminar room for free.  We do ask all event hosts to be familiar with that document, thanks.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Posted by garhkal

What sort of game?  If an RPG, it shouldn't cost that much at all..

Say 8-12 pages of stuff to print out (cha sheets for pregens, or 3-5 sheets if using say house rules to build a PC with), and how ever many pages needed for the module you are running (if home made).
40-60 bucks if you are providing an extra copy or two of the base book for others to use in game (that you get back!)
5 bucks for some spare dice
3 bucks for some spare pens and pencils..

Posted by stahlnee garhkal

garhkal wrote:
What sort of game?  If an RPG, it shouldn't cost that much at all..
Say 8-12 pages of stuff to print out (cha sheets for pregens, or 3-5 sheets if using say house rules to build a PC with), and how ever many pages needed for the module you are running (if home made).
40-60 bucks if you are providing an extra copy or two of the base book for others to use in game (that you get back!)
5 bucks for some spare dice
3 bucks for some spare pens and pencils..
Just add the necessary information to the character sheets and avoid the cost of an extra copy or two of the base book for others to use in game.

You can get sets of dice for around $2 if you shop around and you can also share at the table. No need for each player to have their own set.

Get pencils at IKEA when you are the neighborhood or pens from the hotel you are crashing at. No need for erasers in a non-campaign game.

Posted by kidlidar

Our LARP costs us about $6.00 per person to put on in materials for the players (paper, envelopes, small props).  Coming up with the plot, characters, setting, etc. takes a lot of time, but it's free.

Posted by buffythecatslayer

I'm a bit confused by the Gen Con base price for the event.  It says it's $2 per 2 hours; is that the total cost, or per-attendee?  So, if I have 4 people at my event, the cost is $8?

Posted by hendelbolaf buffythecatslayer

dkrantz152 wrote:
I'm a bit confused by the Gen Con base price for the event.  It says it's $2 per 2 hours; is that the total cost, or per-attendee?  So, if I have 4 people at my event, the cost is $8?

Yes, that would be per attendee. If you were running a two hour event and selected $2 as the ticket price and four attendees bought tickets and turned them into you, then your event would have generated $8 for Gen Con.

Posted by roderick buffythecatslayer

dkrantz152 wrote:

That's how much a single ticket costs an attendee, and goes to Gen Con, not you. 

It's possible to tack on an additional fee to cover your own expenses (when you submitted the event, not now!). So, for example, True Dungeon is a $78 ticket. See the Host policy that Marian referenced above (page 11 is where to look).

New Post Sign in to write a new post.