Event after Gen Con
Posted by aaronmlopez

I have been organizing the Gen Con Rear Guard gathering for the past several years that is kind of a drop-in, drop-out casual gettogether for Gen Con attendees to gather and share stories, play games, etc... I know events like "The Stink" are created and "ticketed" for before the Con actually starts, is there a way that the Rear Guard can do the same thing but for after the con? 

Posted by quarex

I imagine if it were possible to have ticketed events after 3:00 Sunday afternoon that they would already exist, but you do truly never know until you ask!

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Gen Con turns into a pumpkin at 4pm Sunday.  They've never supported any kind of planned events after that, and it's unlikely they'll do so.  Any get-togethers that people want to do Sunday evening are DIY.

Posted by aaronmlopez

I have been doing it as a DIY thing and have no problem continuing to do this. But with things like "The Stink" happening before Gen Con, I figured it may be possible. But either way, I'm still going to continue having the Rear Guard gathering!

Posted by brotherbock

I would imagine the big difference between before and after is that, once the Con is done, the staff (understandably) just want to get the **** out of there. Go back home, for some combo of relax and keep hammering away at all the post-Con work that has to be done (ticket counting just one example). They are already there on Wed setting up, so Wed ticketed events are no big hassle. Asking people to stay longer on Sunday I would expect to no go over well :)

Posted by derekguder

There are plenty of folks that stick around after the convention (there's a "rear guard" thread in the Events forum), but not in an official capacity.

All official Gen Con events need to be finished by 4 pm and most of our spaces need to be vacated by that evening so the venues can reset them for other clients coming in on Monday or later in the week.

Unfortunately we just don't have any space we can reserve or supply to folks who want to stick around for a bit more convention.

-
Derek Guder
Senior Event & Program Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by aaronmlopez derekguder

derekguder wrote:
There are plenty of folks that stick around after the convention (there's a "rear guard" thread in the Events forum), but not in an official capacity.
All official Gen Con events need to be finished by 4 pm and most of our spaces need to be vacated by that evening so the venues can reset them for other clients coming in on Monday or later in the week.
Unfortunately we just don't have any space we can reserve or supply to folks who want to stick around for a bit more convention.
-
Derek Guder
Gen Con LLC

Thanks for the reply, Derek! I'm the one who starts the Rear Guard thread every year. I was pretty sure that this would be the case (but it didn't hurt to ask!).

Posted by derekguder

Of course. Good luck!

-
Derek Guder
Gen Con LLC

New Post Sign in to write a new post.