Limited Event Submission for Gen Con Indy 2021
1 3
1 3
Posted by derekguder geezer

geezer wrote:
Derek, does this apply to seminars as well?

No. Seminars and other performance events that take up a whole room and are never really given dedicated space anyway will be handled differently. Space is still limited for those, but we don't expect a seminar to run all convention long.

Marian has been doing a review of historical seminars to determine pre-approval, but that is another case where folks will want to email [email protected] to let us know what kind of seminar (or performance) they would like to hold and who will be on their panel, etc.

-
Derek Guder
Director of Events
Gen Con LLC

Posted by 65petro lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
agn0stic3000 wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
agn0stic3000 wrote:Forming/joining a group with other independent GMs sounds like an intriguing option, but I could definitely use more info on the metrics required before putting in the organizational effort. For example, how many players and hours would we need to support for viability?

If you actually go forward with this plan, count me in.

DM sent.

Got it!
I have a small group of GMs that typically run 4 games (board) at a time for about 4 hours a day.  If that helps, we would be interested in joining a group of independents.

Posted by toxic_rat

65petro, shoot me a DM and we'll see what we can do.

Posted by nebelwerfer41

Toxic_rat, how do I send you a DM via these forums? 

Posted by toxic_rat

Under your account info, there is a "My Messages" section.  You can send it from there.

Posted by shinteetah derekguder

derekguder wrote:No. Seminars and other performance events that take up a whole room and are never really given dedicated space anyway will be handled differently. Space is still limited for those, but we don't expect a seminar to run all convention long.

My group is trying to organize and make decisions re workshops and seminars. Do we know approximately how many attendees will be allowed at these events? If we normally run a workshop at 35 people and buy materials in minimum bulk, it might not be financially feasible with 10 attendees and a bunch of unused material with limited shelf life. 

We're assuming badges are still 70 player-hours, as well? 

Thanks!

Posted by toxic_rat

Badges are still 70 player-hours, yes.  That's in the Event Host Policy.

As for workshop/seminar setup, I didn't see what the seating capacity was.  It is probably very site specific anyway.

Posted by nascragman

I know I read that there won't be 24 hour gaming, but I can't find the official hours.  How late will events be open?

Posted by traveller

I think its safe to assume that they will need at least a 4 hour window for cleaning.  Its pretty reasonable to guess between 1 and 5 am, giving them a little wiggle room at the end.

Posted by derekguder

Events will need to end by midnight and start after 8 am to let facilities sanitize appropriately overnight.

-
Derek Guder
Director of Events
Gen Con LLC

Posted by derekguder toxic_rat

toxic_rat wrote:
Badges are still 70 player-hours, yes.  That's in the Event Host Policy.
As for workshop/seminar setup, I didn't see what the seating capacity was.  It is probably very site specific anyway.

We don't provide pre-built max capacities for most events. Folks submit what they can handle and reasonably expect and we attempt to accommodate that as best we can.

That's still the process for this year - some events are likely to be smaller, but wherever we can, we're looking at giving events more room to operate in, particularly if they were full (or nearly so) in previous years.

-
Derek Guder
Director of Events
Gen Con LLC

Posted by damedley

How is this going? I was dissuaded from submitting any events because of this announcement. Is space still very tight?

Posted by jpederso

As a person who comes to Gencon to primarily play older and or obscure RPGs this doesn’t bode well for filling my schedule. Wonder how this will affect “The Isle of Misfit Events”?  Hoping that the Orc Stomp will happen this year. And Tower of Gaxx.

Posted by derekguder damedley

damedley wrote:
How is this going? I was dissuaded from submitting any events because of this announcement. Is space still very tight?

The answer depends on what kind of space you are looking for :) If you can coordinate a handful of tables through the weekend, then we can accommodate you and we welcome anyone who can manage their own dedicated space through the convention to reach out to get approved to submit events.

If you're looking for a large, private space or if you need a lot of space for just one event, options are more limited. We can still discuss those, but you will likely need to be very flexible on both time and adapting the event.

We do not anticipate being able to change the approach to handle our usual small-scale intermittent events that we review and place on tables that rotate through different groups over the weekend, but we are expanding open gaming to accommodate that. It won't be quite the same, but there will still be plenty of space for Independent GMs to get people together to play something.

-
Derek Guder
Director of Events
Gen Con LLC

Posted by orfane

Might be too late to do anything about this but I emailed about getting permission to submit an event a week ago and never heard back. I don't have approval at the moment to submit one directly, anything I can do?

Posted by derekguder

Please re-send the email to make sure we received it. We will still try to accommodate later submissions as best we can, just like in previous years. It's just going to be an even tighter timeline this year.

-
Derek Guder
Director of Events
Gen Con LLC

65petro wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
agn0stic3000 wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
agn0stic3000 wrote:Forming/joining a group with other independent GMs sounds like an intriguing option, but I could definitely use more info on the metrics required before putting in the organizational effort. For example, how many players and hours would we need to support for viability?

DM sent.

Got it!
I have a small group of GMs that typically run 4 games (board) at a time for about 4 hours a day.  If that helps, we would be interested in joining a group of independents.
I apologize if I'm not doing this correctly...I don't have much experience using these forums. Basically, my wife and I started a small independent board game company and we were very much counting on running events at GenCon this year. We aren't able to run the kind of massive events that GenCon staff are requiring this year, so we would love to group up with some other indie folks to run some events! How can I get in touch with someone about this? I can't figure out for the life of me how to private message someone :(

Posted by lore seeker [email protected]

[email protected] wrote:
65petro wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
agn0stic3000 wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:

DM sent.

Got it!
I apologize if I'm not doing this correctly...I don't have much experience using these forums. Basically, my wife and I started a small independent board game company and we were very much counting on running events at GenCon this year. We aren't able to run the kind of massive events that GenCon staff are requiring this year, so we would love to group up with some other indie folks to run some events! How can I get in touch with someone about this? I can't figure out for the life of me how to private message someone :(

-Go to your avatar in the top-right corner of your screen
-Go to "My Messages" in the drop-down menu when you hover over the avatar
-Click "New Conversation"
-Put the recipient's username in the "Participants" field

Posted by derekguder [email protected]

[email protected] wrote:I apologize if I'm not doing this correctly...I don't have much experience using these forums. Basically, my wife and I started a small independent board game company and we were very much counting on running events at GenCon this year. We aren't able to run the kind of massive events that GenCon staff are requiring this year, so we would love to group up with some other indie folks to run some events! How can I get in touch with someone about this? I can't figure out for the life of me how to private message someone :(

We're not requiring massive events, by any means. "Three tables" can mean as little as 4 players per table and 12 players at a time. The challenge for most folks is in managing that space all weekend. It'll be a rough weekend for you and your wife to work a full 8 hours a day (10-6 pm) for 4 days straight, but that becomes much more manageable if you can recruit even 1 friend to help you.

If that kind of schedule isn't feasible, you are still more than welcome to run events in the expanded open gaming area we'll have set up - there should be plenty of space for folks there. Those events just won't be scheduled ahead of time through our registration system.

-
Derek Guder
Director of Events
Gen Con LLC

Posted by rfsullivan

So, from the player side of things, how would we find games in the "open gaming area"? Is there some sort of listing? Signs? 

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1 3
1 3