Number of players in RPG events
Posted by shaneivey

In most years we cap our RPG events at six players plus the GM. This isn't most years. Are there rules or guidelines, or even a best-practices consensus, about how many to allow this time?

Posted by toxic_rat

The current event host policy says "One 6' round per 6 players.  Table sizes may vary."  That is the listed standard for submitted events.  I would assume it's 6 people around the table, so 5+GM.  

Posted by shaneivey

Thanks, I must not have read carefully enough.

Posted by garhkal

Personally, i'd like to see the tables get a little larger.  Say 9ft round ones (if that's possible)..

Posted by lore seeker garhkal

garhkal wrote:
Personally, i'd like to see the tables get a little larger.  Say 9ft round ones (if that's possible)..

Yeah, I'd like more room for my books, papers, and GM screen.

Posted by catlin

We set ours at 6 as well. Hopefully it will be good. 

Posted by derekguder

Unfortunately, table sizes aren't something that can be easily scaled - I don't know if I've seen any venue with 9' rounds, for instance. It's usually either 6' or 8' rounds, depending on what the venue has in stock.

For this year, default capacities are individual tables are not being changed - those depends too much on the nature of each individual game. We are spacing tables out further from each other, but not players at a given game.

If you are running a game and want to spread players out more than is typical, you can specify that when you submit the event. Set the number of players per table appropriately and the system will calculate how many tables you need - just keep in mind that multiple tables will mean multiple separate tables (for this year) unless you coordinate with us on your floor plan.

That said, any RPG submitted for more than 6 players at a single will get a lot closer scrutiny than they normally would.

-
Derek Guder
Director of Events
Gen Con LLC

Posted by garhkal

Never knew they had 8ft round ones..  Just always saw the 6ft round ones, and the 8ft rectangular ones..

Posted by derekguder

I may be misremembering what is available, as some venues have different sizes. The Event Host Policy confirmed 6' rounds for RPGs - that's what we keep that big reference document around for.

-
Derek Guder
Director of Events
Gen Con LLC

New Post Sign in to write a new post.