Non-gaming event (SPA) questions from a new EO
Posted by julianatfrolic

I'm thinking of hosting some beginner juggling events.  Here are my questions...

1- How many people does one of the basic empty space rooms hold? (My memory is 30-40 depending on how physical the activity was...)

2- What do people usually charge for this kind of event?  (Considering that I will providing juggling balls and not sending participants home with anything but memories.)

3- If you've led such events in the past, were you happier doing 1 event on each of different days or doing multiple events on just one day?

4- Do you think anyone will want to learn to juggle?  How many events should I consider doing, 1, 2, 4?

5- Is there anywhere to store equipment or do you lug it in and then lug it out right away again?

6- Anything else you think I should know?

Thanks a ton!  I'm not a huge gamer but had a blast at the con last year with my huge gamer spouse and child.  I really enjoyed the ancillary things I did (sword skills, belly dancing, jewelry making) and thought I might enjoy doing an event myself.  I am not a good juggler but I am very good at teaching total beginners how to juggle and I do have enough juggling balls for 40+ people to be juggling together all at once.

Posted by carse

I've never ran any events, but for question 4 I can say I'd be interested if it fits my schedule, and I'm sure plenty of others would be also.

Posted by piggystarfish julianatfrolic

julianatfrolic wrote:
I'm thinking of hosting some beginner juggling events.  Here are my questions...
1- How many people does one of the basic empty space rooms hold? (My memory is 30-40 depending on how physical the activity was...)
2- What do people usually charge for this kind of event?  (Considering that I will providing juggling balls and not sending participants home with anything but memories.)
3- If you've led such events in the past, were you happier doing 1 event on each of different days or doing multiple events on just one day?
4- Do you think anyone will want to learn to juggle?  How many events should I consider doing, 1, 2, 4?
5- Is there anywhere to store equipment or do you lug it in and then lug it out right away again?
6- Anything else you think I should know?
Thanks a ton!  I'm not a huge gamer but had a blast at the con last year with my huge gamer spouse and child.  I really enjoyed the ancillary things I did (sword skills, belly dancing, jewelry making) and thought I might enjoy doing an event myself.  I am not a good juggler but I am very good at teaching total beginners how to juggle and I do have enough juggling balls for 40+ people to be juggling together all at once.

I am not an EO but I did attend a SPA event last year. A lot of my information is coming from the GenCon event db someone puts together every year. Not sure if links are allowed, so I won't link it but you can just google it. 

1. I saw events for as low as 12 to 15 people up to the 30-40 range. 
2. Costs looked to be about $10-$20 on average. I paid $18 for a learn to knit class. We got to keep a ball of yarn and a set of knitting needles. 
3. n/a
4.I think you will find people for any kind of activity you want to run. I never thought I'd take a knitting class, but I did. 
5. The instructor had to bring everything in at the start of the event. We split a room with a cupcake decorating class as well, and same thing, they brought their stuff in and took it down when they were leaving. Not sure if there's a place for EOs to store stuff. I think they have a special room for just EOs. possibly, but not sure if you can store stuff there or not 
6. Do it. 

Posted by julianatfrolic carse

carse wrote:
I've never ran any events, but for question 4 I can say I'd be interested if it fits my schedule, and I'm sure plenty of others would be also.
Thanks!  Gives me hope...

Posted by helenbb

If it interests you and you want to share, sign up to run the event! Gen Con is so big, you will find people who have an interest.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.