X-Wing Events
Posted by boardcrunch

I am currently running X-Wing in South Florida at a few stores here and will be making my 1st trip to GenCon in 2016! I plan to bring a few events to the Con as well.

Maybe someone from GenCon can do a search for me to see how many X-Wing Miniatures events were run last year and how many tickets were sold for them so I could get an expected number of interested players? That would be great if I could get access to that information so I can plan accordingly :)

Thanks,
Arthur

Posted by dballing

This URL has what you seek: 

http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-indy-2015.cgi/type/NMN/X-Wing_Miniatures_Game

Posted by bluemax

The Fight in the Skies society plans to run X-Wing on Sunday of gen Con, more details later

Posted by boardcrunch

Thanks for the link!

Posted by derekguder

X-Wing Miniatures events were also prominent in the list of high unserved demand from 2015, so honestly you are more likely looking at a question of how many players do you think you can comfortable handle as opposed to how many will be interested.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by boardcrunch derekguder

derekguder wrote:
X-Wing Miniatures events were also prominent in the list of high unserved demand from 2015, so honestly you are more likely looking at a question of how many players do you think you can comfortable handle as opposed to how many will be interested.
-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Thanks for the heads up! I'd likely shoot for a couple 32-person events and maybe a large 64-person event to capture some of the spillover from the 200ish main event FFG runs.

Derek, I was reading the GM/EO docs and did I read it right that I could only charge more for an event if I had an exhibitor booth?

Posted by derekguder

The booth requirement is an old technicality that will be removed in the new EHP update, I believe, so you're fine to charge more.

With regards to event size, I'll just say that if you want to run a big tournament with all the players at once, be flexible on the time or run on off-peak times, like Thursday or Sunday.

Also, don't forget that plenty of people just want to play and don't need a tournament.

Generally, it's easier to find and dedicate space to a relatively small, consistetly running event than something that's big for just a few hours here and there.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

derekguder wrote:
The booth requirement is an old technicality that will be removed in the new EHP update, I believe, so you're fine to charge more.
With regards to event size, I'll just say that if you want to run a big tournament with all the players at once, be flexible on the time or run on off-peak times, like Thursday or Sunday.
Also, don't forget that plenty of people just want to play and don't need a tournament.
Generally, it's easier to find and dedicate space to a relatively small, consistetly running event than something that's big for just a few hours here and there.
-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Thursday will be FFG's main National preliminaries if they hold true to last year, so I will not schedule anything big that day. I will likely be playing in that event anyhow. I could schedule something late night, like 8-midnight'ish but I think it would be too close to the FFG scheduled event. However, people who do not get into the tournament may still be looking for a game. (Or diehards who just played 8 hours still looking? :)

I can be flexible on timing and I'll run some smaller 4-hour block 3-round Swiss events. Its a nice blend of competition and friendly play with a defined "winner".

My tentative goal is one larger event of 64 people sometime (so that would be 32 tables for about 6 hours), then I would be open to anytime on the any days to run a few more events in the 16-32 player range.

Possibly 5-6 events over the entire convention.

Are Wednesday nights generally harder to find players or just harder to get an event scheduled?

Posted by derekguder

64 players on 32 tables? You would only be running 2 players per 8' table? That's going to be hard to find space for unless you are very willing to be flexible on time and squeeze in where I can fit you.

For context, all of the X-Wing events from last year were either the standard 4 players per table for miniatures events or were something special where all 12-16 players were gathered around a single special table.

16 tables is still a non-insignificant amount of space for a single event, but it's much more easily managed than 32.

Oh, and Wednesday is a pre-show night. It's not during the official run of the show, so it's really just folks who arrived early and want to get gaming right away. Space is somewhat limited there, and events are supposed to be by-fans, for-fans kind of stuff. I'm sure you could easily get enough people for a couple tables.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

derekguder wrote:
64 players on 32 tables? You would only be running 2 players per 8' table? That's going to be hard to find space for unless you are very willing to be flexible on time and squeeze in where I can fit you.
For context, all of the X-Wing events from last year were either the standard 4 players per table for miniatures events or were something special where all 12-16 players were gathered around a single special table.
16 tables is still a non-insignificant amount of space for a single event, but it's much more easily managed than 32.
Oh, and Wednesday is a pre-show night. It's not during the official run of the show, so it's really just folks who arrived early and want to get gaming right away. Space is somewhat limited there, and events are supposed to be by-fans, for-fans kind of stuff. I'm sure you could easily get enough people for a couple tables.
-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

My mistake in calculating the tables. Yes, 4 per table for sure, not 2. So 64 players would only require 16 tables. :)

Thanks for that catch before it set into my mind when I prepare to submit the events.

Thanks for all of the info!

Posted by garhkal

The Sparks group has in the past, also hosted some Xwing tables..

Posted by arthurkelly garhkal

garhkal wrote:
The Sparks group has in the past, also hosted some Xwing tables..

Not sure who that is, but they did not run anything last year. Very few non-FFG events were run actually.

Posted by brewski

Amped is an under statement!
I was bummed by FFG not have enough tournament Xwing going on. Glad to see some events being planned well ahead off time.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.