GM and additional TO's reimbursements
Posted by boardcrunch

So I plan to run a few hefty 64-person tournaments which will require some help. I have enrolled the assistance of a couple friends who will be traveling to GenCon with me to help TO the events but can they qualify for badges through me somehow?

My 3 events will likely yield over 1000 hours (64 players x 6 hours x 3 events = 1152 potential player hours) of player time. It seems counter intuitive to think that 1000 hours of play time equates to a single GM badge where if I broke it down into 12 smaller events, for the same player hours, I could simply qualify for 12 badges if we all GM'd a pair.

I would like to keep it simple and schedule them all myself AND get our badges comped.

Any options?

Posted by derekguder

Events generate player-hours, and those can be divided among staff members as necessary.

Just submit your event(s) under a gaming group name, and then you can request a badge allocation that could cover yourself and your staff.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by boardcrunch

Perfect, thanks!

Posted by mrshiny

If you look at the EHP, you'll see for 1,000 player hours you will get 1000/80=12 badges and up to 4 hotel reimbursements (at 800 hours per 4 hotel reimbursements). 

There are caveats (such as no Wednesday night reimbursement unless running an 8AM Thursday round, hotels must be in the housing block).  If you do this year after year, you might be recognized as an established gaming group and even get your hotel comped up front. 

Since you will have friends, definitely submit as a gaming group (because that is what you are!).  Makes the process easier.

Posted by otthawk1

Hi all,

We run Aerodrome Games .. and will be in our third year .. I have read the GM hotel reimbursements pages and scanned the forums. My question is .. just how do they reimburse the hotel cost ?

I have 5 events with 36 players 3.5 hours per event registered , we'll have a open event ( 5 of them ) basically 3 registered tables per event plus 1 open for generic tickets, as last year we turned away about 25 players per day because we had so many people interested. Each event is $8.00 ,$4.00 for the Gencon price and $4.00 to cover the medals and awards...does the hotel reimbursement come from that $4.00 extra we charge ?

Just wonder .. thanks..

ALex

Posted by watchdog otthawk1

36 X 3.5 = 126 hours. 

otthawk1 wrote:
Hi all,
We run Aerodrome Games .. and will be in our third year .. I have read the GM hotel reimbursements pages and scanned the forums. My question is .. just how do they reimburse the hotel cost ?
I have 5 events with 36 players 3.5 hours per event registered , we'll have a open event ( 5 of them ) basically 3 registered tables per event plus 1 open for generic tickets, as last year we turned away about 25 players per day because we had so many people interested. Each event is $8.00 ,$4.00 for the Gencon price and $4.00 to cover the medals and awards...does the hotel reimbursement come from that $4.00 extra we charge ?
Just wonder .. thanks..
ALex

Re: your open events, Gen Con really frowns on the whole "reserve some spots for generics", even if it's just one or two seats at a single table, so I wouldn't count on getting allocated an entire table for generics that may or may not show up. If you really think you'll fill all four tables, you should ask for enough seating for four tables, especially since "anticipated generics" aren't going to be calculated as part of the player hours for hotel reimbursement.

The hotel reimbursement is completely separate from any overage you charge for each event ticket. 

Posted by otthawk1

Thanks Watchdog ,

We we have 3 tables of 12 players each and enough GM help to cover those, the Generic Ticket Table , would be a learn the game table with the Extra GM's we have. Though they are not able to come in till Friday night.

Last year we had 8 tables so it worked out well .. our sign up sheet for the 2 table spots that have to be open for Generic tickets holders. Had about 18 to 25 people signed up per event .. we are just amazed at the interest in the game .. I will consider adding the 4th table to registered events .. that is probly not a bad idea.

Thanks for the info on the reimbursement :)

Alex

Posted by derekguder otthawk1

otthawk1 wrote:
Hi all,
Just wonder .. thanks..
ALex

There are a couple imporatant points to make.

1. Hotel reimbursements have nothing to do with ticket prices. If you add an additional fee to your event, then a check is mailed to you after the convention for that amount, based on tickets reconciled to your events.
  2. Hotel reimbursement is an entirely separate process, and involves individuals submitting their hotel bills to Gen Con. Those individuals receive checks for their share of their hotel bills. Details are in the Event Host Policy.
  3. Companies are not eligible for hotel reimbursement, full stop. That means Aerodrome Games is not eligible for hotel reimbursement, so it's a bit of a moot point anyway. I didn't see any events last year for Aerodrome Games, however - just AerodromeAce, which was not directly associated with the company, in my understanding. You'll want to drop us a line to clarify that, certainly before you want to make any plans around hotel reimbursemnt.
  4. What do you mean when you are referring to "open" or generic-only tables? None of your events last year were listed as generics-only, and that is strictly controlled. You cannot reserve space at your events just for generic ticket holders without express permission directly from Gen Con - and that requires justifying why on-site walk-ups need to be prioritized over pre-registered players. Broadly, the schedule you're describing doesn't match your events in the system from 2015, so we will want to talk about that, as well, to clear up whether your events need to be submitted differently or not.

Probably a good idea for us to chat directly at [email protected] or via phone at 857-559-2420 so we can make sure we're all on the same page. I wouldn't want anyone (whether you, Gen Con, or a player) to show up at your events expecting one thing but finding another.

Thanks,

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by otthawk1

Derek,

Thanks for the help ..

Alex ;-)

New Post Sign in to write a new post.