Downtown dining
Posted by jimdigris

What good establishments  are known to have survived?

Posted by ungmar9567 jimdigris

jimdigris wrote:
What good establishments  are known to have survived?
I was sorry to see The RAM leave, but Goodwood (in the same location) is decent.

Posted by quarex

Harry & Izzy's was my favorite place to eat before Sugarfire Smokehouse opened, and now that Sugarfire Smokehouse has closed Harry & Izzy's is once again my favorite place to eat!

Posted by fethbone

Besides The Ram and Sugarfire, most of the restaurants that normally get a shoutout here survived.

Posted by quarex

Yeah, weirdly there were a few big closings the year BEFORE COVID-19 finished the job; Haveli and the nearby Noodles & Company both disappeared, taking out the last two places I was occasionally willing to consider for lunch (rather than skipping lunch entirely since it otherwise takes too long).

Claddagh probably counts as a place that was well-loved that disappeared since 2019, even if I personally found it maddening that they had started taking away most of their Irish food on the "special" convention menu.

Posted by urielblue

All three of my favorite places (Pearl Street Pizza, First Watch, and Eagle Tavern) are still going, thankfully... RIP The Ram. :(

Posted by aldctjoc

Slippery Noodle Inn is still there. Keep in mind that this is more a bar/blues club than it is a restaurant. But they do serve food (and darn it, looking at their tenderloin sandwich is making me drooool).

St. Elmo's, Harry and Izzy's, Yardhouse, and Nada are to the best of my knowledge still there. At least as of mid-January, last time I went through Indianapolis.

North of that up Illinois St., Ruth's Chris and PF Changs still appear to be going. That italian restaurant at the corner - The Palamino - closed in 2019. That was in the midst of the first COVID wave, but according to the news, staff claims it closed over a lease dispute.

A bit to the east, Kilroy's and Spaghetti Factory. Again for the first one (Kilroy's), that's more a bar than restaurant, but again, food is on the menu. Apparently the breadsticks are really, really good when you're stoned (LOL).

I just saw that Rock Bottom on Washington near the Conrad hotel closed. I didn't know that until I googled and found the Yelp entry. Yeah, they're a chain, but I still liked them. 

Patachou is still where it's always been. Probably will still be as crowded when Gen Con rolls around. :)

Weber Grill, Buca di Beppo, and Giordano's is still up north-east of the ICC, not far from Monument Circle. It's a bit of a walk for some, but I don't find it bad at all. 

The JW Marriot still has their restaurant "High Velocity" there. The other spot is now called OP Italian Indy (I think it used to be called "RPM"?). 

There are so many more, but those are the ones I thought about when I saw this thread.

Posted by krayzie

Shapiro's Delicatessen is about a 10 min walk

Posted by jhs krayzie

krayzie wrote:
and is amazing!

Posted by rich jhs

jhs wrote:
krayzie wrote:
and is amazing!
Indeed! We always make sure we get there at the very least for our last Monday on the way out of town meal.

Posted by sbodney

Loughmillers is still open. A regular spot for me whenever I am in downtown Indy.

Posted by del_grande

Here's a strange request: I just found out my flight into Indianapolis got changed and won't arrive until after 8 PM, so after I get my bags, get from the airport to my hotel, and check in, it will probably be after 10 PM. Any good downtown places open after 10? If so, how safe is it to walk there and back at that time of night?

Posted by brooks

I know Killroy's is open pretty late and in eleven years I've never felt unsafe walking around downtown late at night. 

Posted by rogersba

Mikado closed in December.

Posted by mcfizz

The last Gencon that I and my crew attended was in 2019 and we greatly enjoyed the Inferno Room. It is primarily a tiki bar but has some good food as well.

Posted by raptorov

I mourn Bee Coffee and their amazing breakfast burritos, crazy cool coffees and the T-Shirts....Ohh the T-Shirts...

Posted by brooks

Any locals know if there are some good new locations replacing Scotty's, Rock Bottom, Granite City, etc.? 

Posted by hahnarama

Goodwood took over the old RAM spot, buty don't expect them to embrace "The Geek"

Old Scotty's is still empty.

If you are just looking for good beer try the new Taxman location on Delaware south of the field house or St Joseph's up on N College, it's in an old church.

Posted by ungmar9567 hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:
Goodwood took over the old RAM spot, buty don't expect them to embrace "The Geek"
I have hopes that Goodwood might do some things for us attendees. They didn't last year, but it was their first Gen Con. I know they are hosting Death Cup this year, so maybe they will put on some fantasy or sci-fi shows on the TVs at least.

Posted by fethbone ungmar9567

ungmar9567 wrote:
hahnarama wrote:
I have hopes that Goodwood might do some things for us attendees. They didn't last year, but it was their first Gen Con. I know they are hosting Death Cup this year, so maybe they will put on some fantasy or sci-fi shows on the TVs at least.
They did have SFF movies playing in the bar last year. 

The menus also had a little blurb on them specifically addressed to Gencon attendees "introducing" the restaurant, so maybe they will do more this coming year. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.