Housing Suggestions
Posted by cpspalding

I'm lucky enough to be a companion for a VIG this year (Coolest Brother-in-Law Ever). I have missed the last two Gen Cons after making every single one since 1989. My favorite hotel is the Homewood Suites, but that's not in the block. I have spinal stenosis that limits my walking range to 2-3 blocks. I'd like a hotel close to the convention center, with a hot tub (really helps back), and walkable meals under $50. Any suggestions? I think I'd go Marriott, but I think they got rid of the pool. Omni is a bit further and has no free wi-fi.  

Posted by quarex

First off, yes, coolest brother-in-law ever, mine just kept me on his YouTube Premium family account (not that I was complaining)

The Embassy Suites has everything you are looking for, but it might be just on the edge of your comfortable walking range?  I love the Homewood Suites too, and yeah in general I try to stay at either Embassy Suites or Homewood Suites in general, both good options

Posted by crowingcommando

Embassy checks everything, but is on your outer range I think. If you use the skywalk though you cut through the mall and there are (at least in the before times) benches scattered trough out you could use. 

Posted by del_grande

Question: is the Skywalk through the Mall open when the Mall itself is closed?

Posted by quarex

The Artsgarten skywalk definitely closes at some point, which I think is the one you are talking about?  Maybe not, honestly, but since parts of the skywalk close at various times that probably means yes for your question too

Posted by squirecam crowingcommando

crowingcommando wrote:
Embassy checks everything, but is on your outer range I think. If you use the skywalk though you cut through the mall and there are (at least in the before times) benches scattered trough out you could use. 
I've stayed at the embassy and its shorter just walking on the streets then using the skywalk. Cut through the Hyatt if you need a rest.

Posted by jimmythesaint

From the Embassy, take the skywalk path through the artsgarden and go through the Hyatt instead of the mall. It's shorter, and in my experience has always been open late at night and very early mornings.

Posted by maijstral2 cpspalding

cpspalding wrote:
I'm lucky enough to be a companion for a VIG this year (Coolest Brother-in-Law Ever). I have missed the last two Gen Cons after making every single one since 1989. My favorite hotel is the Homewood Suites, but that's not in the block. I have spinal stenosis that limits my walking range to 2-3 blocks. I'd like a hotel close to the convention center, with a hot tub (really helps back), and walkable meals under $50. Any suggestions? I think I'd go Marriott, but I think they got rid of the pool. Omni is a bit further and has no free wi-fi.  
Its been a few years since I stayed there but the Omni does have free wifi you just have to sign up as a rewards member. It cost nothing and you will receive emails every few months or so so not a lot of spam.  Having said all that it was probably 6 years ago I stayed there. Its actually not that far if you don't use the sky bridges, counterintuively you just walk out the front door, across the pan am plaza( IIRC) and into the convention center. Skybridge takes you a long way around though the mall.

Posted by roderick maijstral2

bobvilla wrote:
cpspalding wrote:
Its been a few years since I stayed there but the Omni does have free wifi you just have to sign up as a rewards member. It cost nothing and you will receive emails every few months or so so not a lot of spam.  Having said all that it was probably 6 years ago I stayed there. Its actually not that far if you don't use the sky bridges, counterintuively you just walk out the front door, across the pan am plaza( IIRC) and into the convention center. Skybridge takes you a long way around though the mall.

You can also walk down to the Union Station and catch a pretty direct skybridge to the ICCC/Stadium meeting point. I use either the skybridge or the walk across the plaza depending on the weather. 

Unfortunately, the Plaza is due (is already?) to be demolished and a huge, ugly hotel put in its place, which will change migratory patterns. 

Posted by funny-shaped dice roderick

roderick wrote:Unfortunately, the Plaza is due (is already?) to be demolished and a huge, ugly hotel put in its place, which will change migratory patterns. 

Has anyone heard if the work being done in the Plaza includes tearing down the parking garage that is right under Pan Am Tower?  We park there every Gen Con - super convenient - and often ends up being cheaper than paying for parking at a downtown hotel.  Gate 10 is awesome - but the Pan Am Tower parking garage is covered and, I believe, monitored.

Posted by austicke funny-shaped dice

funny-shaped dice wrote:Has anyone heard if the work being done in the Plaza includes tearing down the parking garage that is right under Pan Am Tower?

From one news story: "Kite acquired the 1,200-space parking garage beneath Pan Am Plaza for $30 million in March 2019, and plans to fully rebuild the structure while razing the remainder of the plaza for the convention and hotel project."

Posted by werebat

I just checked and my housing portal time for tomorrow is 2:57 pm EST.
When does the housing lottery actually start?  What I mean is, what time are the earliest lottery slots?  And what I am driving at is, how likely am I to get a room via the housing lottery tomorrow?  I have an event the attend that happens to begin at 3:00 pm EST, and am weighing the worth of arriving late in order to try to get a room via lottery.

Posted by mikeboozer

The portal opens at Noon Eastern. 

Posted by austicke werebat

werebat wrote:I just checked and my housing portal time for tomorrow is 2:57 pm EST.
When does the housing lottery actually start?  What I mean is, what time are the earliest lottery slots?  And what I am driving at is, how likely am I to get a room via the housing lottery tomorrow?  I have an event the attend that happens to begin at 3:00 pm EST, and am weighing the worth of arriving late in order to try to get a room via lottery.

As Mike said, it starts at noon. Apparently the last time slots are at 3:30pm, so you're near the end.

However, it's difficult to say what you can get. In a normal year, it would not look good for getting a connected downtown room. Last year, downtown rooms didn't sell out. Will this year be closer to normal?

Posted by smirker

I was unlucky enough to have a late time and rooms were completely sold out when i tried to book on time.  

I just managed to get a room through the Housing portal - but it's ~7 Miles away.  I've tried looking for information on if the hotels will have convention shuttles, but I seem to be overlooking it if it is there.  

I'm hoping some openings will happen in the close/attached (via skywalk to mall or etc), but this is our first time to GenCon. Any advice on how often I should try and check portal to see if I can switch hotels?  I've been checking every day from the housing reservation link - but I feel like a fool for stopping due to always seeing the 'Sold out Inventory' still on the Sold out advisory.  

If anyone would care to give some guidance/advice I'd welcome it.  Thank you

Posted by austicke smirker

smirker wrote:Any advice on how often I should try and check portal to see if I can switch hotels?  I've been checking every day from the housing reservation link - but I feel like a fool for stopping due to always seeing the 'Sold out Inventory' still on the Sold out advisory.  
If anyone would care to give some guidance/advice I'd welcome it.

Check out this handy housing portal monitoring site (unofficial). Many folks looking for rooms keep this site open all the time.

Posted by smirker austicke

austicke wrote:
smirker wrote:Any advice on how often I should try and check portal to see if I can switch hotels?  I've been checking every day from the housing reservation link - but I feel like a fool for stopping due to always seeing the 'Sold out Inventory' still on the Sold out advisory.  
If anyone would care to give some guidance/advice I'd welcome it.

Check out this handy housing portal monitoring site (unofficial). Many folks looking for rooms keep this site open all the time._____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group
Excellent!  Thank you!

Posted by colbrook smirker

smirker wrote:
I was unlucky enough to have a late time and rooms were completely sold out when i tried to book on time.  
I just managed to get a room through the Housing portal - but it's ~7 Miles away.  I've tried looking for information on if the hotels will have convention shuttles, but I seem to be overlooking it if it is there.  
I'm hoping some openings will happen in the close/attached (via skywalk to mall or etc), but this is our first time to GenCon. Any advice on how often I should try and check portal to see if I can switch hotels?  I've been checking every day from the housing reservation link - but I feel like a fool for stopping due to always seeing the 'Sold out Inventory' still on the Sold out advisory.  
If anyone would care to give some guidance/advice I'd welcome it.  Thank you
If you're driving in or renting a car I've heard many excellent things about Gate Ten parking, they're close to the Convention Centre and have a shuttle running regularly at all hours, great for dropping off purchases at your car and not worrying about getting in super early to secure parking.

My first two years (2018/2019) I stayed quite far out of town and used Lyft to get back and forth, probably worked out similar or less cost to staying downtown (cheaper hotel) but obviously less flexible. I thought about renting a car but we didn't fancy driving on the wrong side of the road.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.