Downtown Indy
Posted by raptorov

This may be more for Indy locals, but what is the state of downtown going into this year? Has anything new opened up to replace some of the gamer haunts of old? I didn't get to go last year and heard mixed reviews on how Goodwood was. I knew Bee Coffee left, but has anything replaced it?
I hope to be there this year and just wondered if there were any new cool gamer must-go places.

Posted by hahnarama

I can tell you that

• a lot of business have sent their employees home forever to work virtual
  • I have not seen any new cool places to hang out, and the places that are still open are limited seating not because of COVID restrictions but because of a labor shortage. (Yes its everywhere I know)
  • and Circle Center Mall was just sold today. I guess they are going to turn it into mixed use office space and housing

So to answer your question, no there are no new must see attractions :(  

Posted by raptorov

Loss of the Circle Center Mall is actually huge. My wife is not a gamer, and it was always nice to wander in, look around and maybe catch a movie.
If that is all gone, that really diminishes downtown Indy. Cincinnati is wiping out its downtown mall, and if that isn't a warning, nothing is. Never emulate downtown Cincinnati for anything! Downtown Cincy could be (and has been) dealt four aces and a king and still lose.
(I tried to come up with a good gamer metaphor rather than default to poker, but was unable in a short span. Apologies.)

Posted by aldctjoc

Wait... according to the local paper, Circle Center Mall isn't changing it's makeup yet

I know it's paywalled, but first time visitors can get a few free viewings:
https://www.indystar.com/story/money/2022/02/04/simon-property-group-sells-circle-centre-mall-indianapolis/8420089002/

"It appears the deal won't impact tenants, at least immediately. JLL, the commercial real estate firm Simon brought in to help manage the mall, will continue in its management role. "The ownership group would continue to manage the mall in the same fashion that it's been managed for the last five to 10 years," Collins said. "Nothing's changing from our perspective, in terms of how the model operates, how it's been managed."

They'll change things around eventually, but they're still in the figure-it-out stage:

"Circle Centre Development Co. expects the design and pre-development stage to be completed by the end of 2022. Afterward, the company will embark on the next steps to redevelop the mall."

The article mentions that change is inevitable given the rise of internet shopping impacting physical stores, but that currently ""None of the leases or other management agreements have changed". 

So the mall won't stay like it is forever, of course. But for the meanwhile - at least for the rest of this year, and who knows how much of next - it's still going to be more or less the same. 

Posted by tacomuerte raptorov

raptorov wrote:
This may be more for Indy locals, but what is the state of downtown going into this year? Has anything new opened up to replace some of the gamer haunts of old? I didn't get to go last year and heard mixed reviews on how Goodwood was. I knew Bee Coffee left, but has anything replaced it?
I hope to be there this year and just wondered if there were any new cool gamer must-go places.
Bee Coffee left? That's disappointing.

Posted by quarex

For real.  Bee Coffee Roasters was the only place I was willing to visit when the Exhibit Hall was open, as it was just that good.  They still have a store in Indianapolis, which is nice, but obviously not located in a Gen-Con-accessible location.

Posted by jimdigris

Did they open a significant number of new hotels downtown in the past two years?  Many of the hotels north of Indy aren't on the housing list.

Posted by austicke jimdigris

jimdigris wrote:Did they open a significant number of new hotels downtown in the past two years?

I don’t know, but the housing portal includes four new downtown hotels this year (and lost one).

Posted by robertgonzales

Thanks for the suggestions. My birthday is coming near and for that I am searching for a place online where I should give my birthday party. After reading your post, now I know where should l go for my birthday. I am so glad I have found your post while searching for this https://letsgradeit.com/review/classyessay/ website online. I am a school student and I want to hire an essay writer but I don't know how can I hire them. That is why I am searching for it online. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.