The "I don't want to eat downtown; where else can I go?" thread
Posted by aldctjoc

Before we get started: I'm not saying there's anything wrong with downtown restaurants. On the contrary, that's what I'm mostly going to patronize.

But, maybe there are folks who want to explore a bit farther out. This is why I posted the thread. People who have suggestions about places an Uber/Lyft or car trip away should please feel free to add your recommendations here.

-----

I'll start: Lou Malnati's pizza. They're a Chicago deep dish joint that finally expanded out to Indiana. They're my favorites out of all the big names from that city (Gino's, Uno's/Due's, Giordano's. etc.). Most of the Indy locations are delivery/carry out only, but the Broad Ripple location has dine-in tables. They're 8.2 miles from the ICC according to Google, so IMO it's definitely a car ride away.

Posted by aldctjoc

Oh, if anyone's willing to brave Reddit, the r/indianapolis sub has some threads under "Food Recs" that are filled with recommendations. One for BBQ, one for breakfast, one for Chinese, and so on. Obviously some of those will be repeats of places already mentioned in r/gencon threads, but many will not. And that's good.

Posted by quarex

My group has a gathering at the Rathskeller on Wednesday every year; hard to justify making any sort of excursion away from the convention center proper during Gen-Con, but it is certainly well worth the trip if you love good German food and have some time.

Posted by aldctjoc quarex

quarex wrote:My group has a gathering at the Rathskeller on Wednesday every year; hard to justify making any sort of excursion away from the convention center proper during Gen-Con, but it is certainly well worth the trip if you love good German food and have some time.

Rathskeller is a damn good place to eat. Wurst, schnitzel and other dishes, plus one heck of a walled, open-air beer garden/live entertainment area. Like I've said elsewhere, it's like going from a restaurant to a music bar without leaving the building.

Posted by incredisteve

Lucky Lou Dim Sum was quite good last year. Mind that they're closed Wednesday.

Posted by usrbin

There used to be a good breakfast buffet at the Marriott but they no longer have it.   Anyone know of a hotel with a decent breakfast buffet near DT?

Posted by armadilloal

I know The Westin has been pushing one on the Facebook group.  I can't speak for the quality, but it sounds decent enough.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.