What to pack for GenCon 2016
1 3
1 3
Posted by h2so4

Not necessarily what to pack, but if you plan on eating out (which Indy has a number of good restaurants) and are fairly OCD on eating schedule, start eating earlier before you go to acclimate. Plan to eat on the "old person" schedule and you'll generally avoid wait times at restaurants. Also, avoid the chains, they're not only not as good, but the familiarity/name recognition breeds tired gamer impulse dining. 

Posted by stormforge

I agree with trace_sl, get chewable Airborne, they are great. With all of the people walking in close proximity and the hotel rooms, it works. I didn't take it one year, got sick when I got home. I take individual snacks like the 100 calorie Oreo crackers or the Belvita crackers. Healthy and they will hold you over until you can get to a food line somewhere. Water is essential too, take a water bottle for your pack, comfortable shoes, don't matter what kind just so long as you can stay light on your feet. It gets warm in there so shorts and t-shirts are a must. They usually give away some small recycled material handle bags or the messenger bags, grab at least one or two of those for extra carrying capacity. I keep a couple of those small one shot Colgate toothbrushes in my pack, keeps you fresh, and some floss picks too. Don't take everything, I have overpacked for this con many many times over the past 30 years and I never use half of what I bring so make sure it is something you definitely want to use or need. Plan ahead with the Author's Avenue for bringing books to sign. I usually write a list out of everything I need to bring, started that two weeks ago, you always forget at least one thing no matter what.

Posted by cali159

a list of "Must see, must buy, must bother" vendors.

Posted by bpunkert

Oooh, hey a vendor list. I know roughly where the half dozen or so musts are, but it might be a good idea to write them down along with booth numbers.

I have also discovered Jaimesons' Raspberry Lemonade vitamin packets. I am vitamin B12 and D deficient (proven by bloodwork so let's not get on the whole "there's no truth that you need multivitamins and they're all liars" train, shall we?) and I really didn't want to bring whole bottles on the plane (coming from Canada) or buy a multi I would take for five days and throw out before I flew home or feel like a dead sloth because my energy was shot by day two.

These come in conveniently (and more importantly CLEARLY)  labeled individual serving size foil tubes. You mix it with water and drink it. Score! I can throw half a dozen in my luggage and put then through with the medication ziploc. Problem solved.

Some days it's the little things.

Posted by garhkal

unsoundergnome wrote:
I've been going for 13 years now and am disabled and have found a few very useful things to have.  You'll want to bring a roll of toilet paper, ICC usually struggles to keep the tp stocked in all the bathrooms, especially on Saturday, although it might be better in the women's room, idk. 

LOL..  Heck i would much rather bring those scott butt wipes..
trace_sl wrote:
Just to repeat; do not bring every book or card you own, you just will not need them. 
Security -- do not trust anyone and be careful where and how you put your stuff when you are not holding it, do not let it out of your sight.  Do things like placing the strap around your leg when you set your stuff down.  Over the years you hear stories.    

And for those who do those Collectable card games (MAGIC!!), keep an eye on your boxes/folders of stuff..  I have seen several threads on this site, mentioning some horror stories of those being snagged..
bpunkert wrote
Being able to smell your deodorant/cologne/perfume/shampoo from more than ten feet away is just as bad in its own way as gamer funk. Clean is awesome. Being a cosmetic counter the day before a major holiday and making my eyes water is not so awesome.
And if I haven't explicitly mentioned it yet, eyeglass cleaner and a lens cloth. Because trying to read my laptop through dozens of people's worth of dried spittle is not cool. And every convention since ever has people talking too loud, which means you end up with drool covered lenses. *sigh*

I agree.  Funk of some of the stronger perfumes/deodorant can be just as bad if not worse than funk from not bathing...

And i love the lens cleaner idea..  Heck if you can, bring one of those little 'glasses repair/cleaner' kit..  Easy to fit into a pocket..

brotherbock wrote
Hand sanitizer. I hate the overuse of hand sanitizer. I almost never use the stuff (just got back from a week in Honduras, glad to be done using the stuff every day). However...if you have to use a Con Center bathroom, and you have any sort of history of susceptibility to illness, it couldn't hurt to use it then. That many people, a lot of them wil already be sick when they arrive.

I wonder if that is WHY we see so many people being hyperalergic to things these days, along with all the 'super bugs' out there..  Cause as a society (in general, not specifically calling anyone out here), we have gotten so 'sanitized'.. to where people's immune systems have NOT had to work itself up naturally...
microwench wrote:
-badge wallet - something with a clear pocket to hold your badge (so it can be seen) that can also hold your credit/debit cards and cash, I also stash my event tickets in mine as well.  

I like these so much, after getting one issued to me, that is where i keep my Drivers license and other IDs in rather THAN in my regular wallet these days...  Its also a lot harder to forget a thick necklace wallet than a small in your pocket wallet...
microwench wrote:-tylenol and immodium - you never know and you definitely don't want to be without when you need 'em!

I much prefer those little Pepto tablet packets..
microwench wrote:
-schedule - last year we attended (2014) I got smart and printed a schedule that had mine AND my husband's events listed and color coded.  That way we both knew when the other was busy/where we would be/etc.  And I need my schedule printed out because I am a dofus and *will* forget repeatedly where I need to be and when!

I do that myself, more cause i find it easier to verify all my events off of, when i pick up my tickets..
wjmacguffin wrote:
Phone charger: I find that I use my phone way more than ever during cons, so a charger quickly becomes a lifesaver. 

I keep hearing people say this.  What exactly are they using it more than ever FOR?? 
wjmacguffin wrote:
Sweater: Some rooms will be hot as balls. Other rooms will be cold enough to store raw hamburger safely. Bring something you can take off and put back on. 

I agree.  Even though I much prefer being a little chilled, even I have sometimes regretted not having something to put on over my arms/legs...
wjmacguffin wrote:
Hidden cash cache: Never know when you might lose your wallet, and having some cash on hand for emergencies is smert.

It also helps out, if you forget the wallet in the room, and need to buy something now (food break time!)..  Had that happen a few years back, and luckly one of the guys i was gaming with who was on break at the same time, loaned me a tenner for food, which i paid back the following day...  Now i like keeping a 20 (or two) in my Neckpouch ID holder..
wjmacguffin wrote:
Deodorant: Optional, but if you're the type who gets smelly and sweaty at a con, bringing it is a public service. Just saying. 

Also, don't forget the Talc for the shoes!!!
presslerms wrote:
small pack of kleenex 

God yes..  I have lost track of the # of times i had to rush into a bathroom to get some TP to blow my schnozz with...
jmg7781 wrote:
If you aren't used to all the walking you might think about bringing an anti chafing stick or friction stick. It's cheap and only the size of deodorant but can save you from an uncomfortable few days.

Linked to that, is moleskin.  If you often get blisters easily from walking a lot, then those can be a foot saver!!
stormforge wrote:
I keep a couple of those small one shot Colgate toothbrushes in my pack, keeps you fresh, and some floss picks too. Don't take everything, I have overpacked for this con many many times over the past 30 years and I never use half of what I bring so make sure it is something you definitely want to use or need.

Never even thought of those flosspicks.   i would also add to that though, one of those travel mouth wash bottles..

On the clothing angle, one thing I do, is bring a nit bag (laundry one) so you can toss your used clothes in, so when it comes time to pack up you have your dirty stuff separated from the clean...

Posted by roundtop

Re: using phone - well, the con schedule and maps are available through there, plus Google maps for getting around / finding food

Oh and rulebooks. I can store all I need on the phone rather than lugging them with me.

And friends, nobody uses frs radios anymore, they just text/message/call now.

Some people use dice rollers.

I also have my what to get spreadsheets. And look up if product in dealers hall is decent price or rip off

Posted by marimaccadmin

My main suggestions that most people don't suggest are scissors, tape, and at least one, if not several, extension cords/power strips for the room.

Hotels are getting better generally about having power outlets next to the bed for you phone, but it's not a guarantee.  And onsite, I have to plug in, my phone, my computer, my camera, a back up phone battery, my fit bit, my pebble, and several other things.  You need a power strip.

Posted by donaldbain marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
You need a power strip.

Agreed.  I've brought one the last few years and it has been useful.  Also power strips (should) have a surge protector that regular outlets don't.

Posted by astrosetz

I travel light when it comes to electronics (Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, GoPro Hero 4) but as all of them use USB I find the 4-port iClever USB self-contained little brick to be all I need. They have a 6-port unit too...all 2.1 amp ports, as well. 

Posted by brotherbock astrosetz

astrosetz wrote:
I travel light when it comes to electronics (Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, GoPro Hero 4) but as all of them use USB I find the 4-port iClever USB self-contained little brick to be all I need. They have a 6-port unit too...all 2.1 amp ports, as well. 

Do they all maintain peak output when they're all in use?

Posted by astrosetz

Yes, they do. 40w 8amp all in a compact little self-contained plastic box :)

Posted by rhone1

Okay, here is one that I never see on the list but that people from my group swear by.

Glide.  

Glide looks like a deodorant stick and is sold at sporting good stores.  You out it on your feet or on your thighs were your legs rub together when you walk.  It does exactly what you think it might, let's you glide all day long with no chafing on your skin.  Runners use it.  All I can say is that it works!  Couple of the guys in my group are pretty husky and they say it is a game changer for Gen Con and all the walking we do.  Your feet, thighs and any other body part you can think will thank you.

Oh...and please folks, wear deodorant!

Posted by brotherbock rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
Okay, here is one that I never see on the list but that people from my group swear by.
Glide.  
Glide looks like a deodorant stick and is sold at sporting good stores.  You out it on your feet or on your thighs were your legs rub together when you walk.  It does exactly what you think it might, let's you glide all day long with no chafing on your skin.  Runners use it.  All I can say is that it works!  Couple of the guys in my group are pretty husky and they say it is a game changer for Gen Con and all the walking we do.  Your feet, thighs and any other body part you can think will thank you.

(actually been mentioned twice in this thread already, but bears repeating :) 

Posted by urielblue

Food/drink

As I rarely drink sodas, so I bring a pack of cold brew iced tea bags, which I just drop in a water bottle in the am; By the time I reach my destination, I usually have iced tea. I'm just as happy with water, and the day that I arrive ( Tuesday), I will be grabbing a case of water bottles at CVS, as well as a few choice root beers,etc @ that awesome Bottle Rocket store on the monument circle.

Snacks

Before I leave home ( San Francisco), I stop by Trader Joe's.
I'm grabbing a couple bags f turkey jerkey, trail mix, dried fruit, crackers, and a bin or two of dark chocolate covered nuts/fruit. I might bring a small bag of apples and/or oranges as well.
I take advantage of Southwest's 2 free bag policy ( They will be full of awesome loot on the way home). Also, I bring a bottle of hot sauce... Even the blandest chicken sammich ins 1000% better with the right sauce.

Meds

My asthma inhaler, Gout pills, ibuprofen, pepto-tables, multi-vitamins, small sunscreen ( It's not my native Az, but arms, and forehead can get toasted, especially when walking around outside for extended periods).

Personal

I'm there for 7 days, so I bring 8 days worth of clothes, plus 2-3 pair extra socks.bathing trucks...pool time!
Toothbrush,razor,toothpaste,etc... I also bring my own pillow case, as ... Hotels,yuck.
as well, I will prob re-dye my hair this weekend, and I don't want to get blue dye everywhere.

Nerdy Stuff

iPad, new super porta-battery for it and my iphone. 
Rulebooks for Fantasy Age, D&D 5th, The One Ring.
My bag of 50 dice or so, plus various tokens.
pack of ArcKnight gaming mats, about 100 prepaint minis ( Much lighter than hauling my painted stuff),
pens, misc... 

It's late, and I can't even remember if this was a 'What do you bring?' Thread...haha.

-Uriel

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3
1 3