Relocate GenCon to another city
( Locked)
3 4 5 7
3 4 5 7
Posted by suburbaknght noone

miked wrote:
funny you keep mentioning true dungeon do you understand that of the $40 true dungeon ticket gencon gets $2 just like ANY other 2 hour event?  Read the hosting guide.  The rest of the money is going to the guysnwho run true dungeon.  Funny how you ridicule any other measure of loyalty to gencon except the one you use.  How about people who run events to bring in the $1 an hour per player.  You talk about how you purchases of true dungeon helps gencon but all the money people spent on years before you attended shouldnt.  You are the one being elitist.  Much like a prevouis post said yes i would be unhappy not being downtown bit i would deal with it.  Its callednbeing an adult. Stanmpping your feet screaming im a true dungeoner im special isnt.

From the Gen Con host policy, p. 10-11:

"For events with a final cost equal to or greater than $20/2 hours, an additional fee may be applied. The Gen Con base price is effectively increased by an additional 10% of the final event cost in order to cover credit card and processing fees. The final event cost will remain the same; the additional fee you requested will be reduced.

"Example: A 4-hour LARP would normally have a Gen Con base price of $4. If you submit an additional fee of $36, then the final price of the event will be $40. That is equal to a cost of $20 per 2 hours, so instead of getting $36 for each ticketed player you had, you would only get $32: $36 – the $4 admin fee (10% of the final event cost). If the final event cost had been $38, there would not have been a fee."

Posted by njseahawksfan wjpennington

wjpennington wrote:
Most do. its just the initial anger of losing a housing lottery or not getting into a certain event that prompts these reactions and calls for special treatment for prior attendees. Many mellow out by august once they get over the disappointment. 

Here, here.  That's why these threads can be so exhausting to wade though.  It is invariably someone who has lost out on a room or an event that suddenly feels the need to overhaul the entire system, and always in a way that directly benefits them. 

Posted by ploveking

A loyalty program that lets old timers have an advantage in the housing lottery would shut out new attendees. Gencon has said in previous versions of this discussion that anything that shuts out new attendees is a total non-starter, and that makes total sense to me. We don't want to shut out the new people. Plus, we are all gamers here, that would be ripe to game the system.

As for the Vegas suggestion, Vegas is great for professional conferences. This being a recreational convention, there are big differences. None of us have employers paying for us to go. When you attend a vegas conference you don't get a room discount because they are so eager to fill rooms. You get the standard conference rate, based on what business will pay to get people into the conferences where money is made. Business is used to paying full price for hotel rooms. What's more, at a trade show, exhibit space makes big sales, and the companies pay a lot of money to be on that exhibit floor. you like seeing that small vendor in the exhibit hall? Forget about it in Vegas. A lot of small gaming companies would go bust just based on not making back their investment in a gencon booth. Plus, the union guy would have to be called in to plug in the vendors laptop in the morning, and uplug it at night, and there would be a line item on your bill for it.  Vegas has big conferences every week, along with a number of smaller conferences. We would be nothing special. We wouldn't even begin to be the fun unusual thing in town. Not even close.  We can walk around indy in costume because everyone knows about gencon, and most of them are amused or excited to have us. I've been to conventions in cities where that isn't the case. People stop cosplaying after the second person gets beat up in costume. Sharing the monorail with people in town for the 4th annual Uptight Business Seminar won't be much fun either.

Posted by ploveking

In response to the suggestion that we dump the housing lottery and contact the hotels directly. There are conventions that do that. It's aweful. Really aweful. We don't want that. It's just a lot of smaller totally disorganized housing lotteries.

Everyone tries to get the first hotel that opens it's reservation system. That's a huge disaster, and the hotel is full as quickly as their system can process the load. Then everyone tries to get the second hotel that opens, same result. On down the line for each hotel, with people cancelling previous reservations when they get into a hotel they like better. Some people end up with multiple reservations, some get none. Lots of time to invest. Huge amounts of drama.

Posted by mhayward1978 noone

miked wrote:
mhayward1978 wrote:
watchdog wrote:You have a point, but the hotel, airline, and rental car loyalty programs will usually earn rewards based on dollars spent, not how many years you've been using them.  So to expand on the point WJ made, that kind of rewards program would reward the attendee who buys multiple TD runs over the one who attends free seminars.

One could observe that a GenCon attendee who buys multiple True Dungeon tickets contributes more revenue to GenCon LLC. than one who attends free seminars...I agree a loyalty program based on years of attendance probably doesn't make sense.  A loyalty program based on money spent on badges and event tickets, and hours volunteered over the last 2-3 years I think could make a lot of sense.
Realistically as long as the con is growing there probably isn't much need.
If nothing else, having everyone who attended last year get room lottery entries before anyone who didn't would likely keep people coming (or at least buying badges) every year so they didn't lose their spot in the earlybird lottery.
funny you keep mentioning true dungeon do you understand that of the $40 true dungeon ticket gencon gets $2 just like ANY other 2 hour event?  Read the hosting guide.  The rest of the money is going to the guysnwho run true dungeon.  Funny how you ridicule any other measure of loyalty to gencon except the one you use.  How about people who run events to bring in the $1 an hour per player.  You talk about how you purchases of true dungeon helps gencon but all the money people spent on years before you attended shouldnt.  You are the one being elitist.  Much like a prevouis post said yes i would be unhappy not being downtown bit i would deal with it.  Its callednbeing an adult. Stanmpping your feet screaming im a true dungeoner im special isnt.

Are you trolling?

What do you mean "keep mentioning True Dungeon"?  I mentioned it exactly once in this thread, in direct response to another poster who introduced True Dungeon the topic by saying: "...that kind of rewards program would reward the attendee who buys multiple TD runs over the one who attends free seminars..."

You've misstated how GenCon shares revenue with its event hosts in general (*although see TD specific notes below):

• Your incorrect claim: Any 2 hour event nets GenCon $2, regardless of ticket price.
  • Correct information: GenCon recieves a minimum of $2 per 2 hour chunk of event time (rounded up to the nearest 2 hours).  For events that charge over $20 per 2 hour block, GenCon collects an additional 10% of the event cost, further...

• GenCon actually collects all the money up front, and only reimburses the GM/event host for the extra fees collected when a ticket is turned in at the event and then submitted to GenCon for reimbursement:

• Someone buys an event ticket but doesn't show up?  GenCon keeps the entire event fee
      • Exhibitor forgets to collect tickets / loses tickets? GenCon keeps the entire event fee

* There is no reason you would know this in particular, but True Dungeon doesn't function like any old game exhibitor - True Dungeon has a seperate agreement with GenCon, the terms of which are not public.  No one other than GenCon and True Dungeon would know for certain how they split up revenue, and whether True Dungeon is subject to any additional costs that other event hosts might not be (TD is unique among event hosts in blocking out an entire region of the event space for days before hand to set up).

As for the rest of your breathless allegations about me - I suggest you try to work on your reading comprehension, as evidently you can't undersand either me, or the GenCon event hosting quide, both of which you have misunderstood.

I never said "all money people spent on years before you attended shouldn't [be considered to help gencon]," or anything like it.

I never said TD attendees deserve any special treatment - I simply acknowleged another poster's point that a loyalty program that factors in money spent on event tickets would tend to benefit customers who spent more on tickets (TD being a salient example).  

I further observed that perhaps that wouldn't be a bad thing, from GenCon's perspective, as customers who spend more on tickets generate more revenue for GenCon than ones who don't.

Posted by marimaccadmin

I don't understand why there is such a to do about this, but no, Gen Con does not keep the entire fee when someone turns in generics.  That's wrong, and I don't know why you would think that.  Also, as tickets are fungible, while someone may not use a ticket for your event, it can be used for another event, and Gen Con does not keep the entire amount in that case. 

Anyhow, this is getting heated.  Take it down a thousand please, or move on to something else.

Posted by mhayward1978 marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
 Gen Con does not keep the entire fee when someone turns in generics.  That's wrong, and I don't know why you would think that.  

Good point - I removed the offending bullet.

Posted by raidkillsbugsded

I'm with the guy in that other forum thread...move it to Flint, MI.  Then maybe where you sleep won't seem nearly as important. 

Posted by noone mhayward1978

mhayward1978 wrote:
miked wrote:
mhayward1978 wrote:
watchdog wrote:You have a point, but the hotel, airline, and rental car loyalty programs will usually earn rewards based on dollars spent, not how many years you've been using them.  So to expand on the point WJ made, that kind of rewards program would reward the attendee who buys multiple TD runs over the one who attends free seminars.

One could observe that a GenCon attendee who buys multiple True Dungeon tickets contributes more revenue to GenCon LLC. than one who attends free seminars...I agree a loyalty program based on years of attendance probably doesn't make sense.  A loyalty program based on money spent on badges and event tickets, and hours volunteered over the last 2-3 years I think could make a lot of sense.
Realistically as long as the con is growing there probably isn't much need.
If nothing else, having everyone who attended last year get room lottery entries before anyone who didn't would likely keep people coming (or at least buying badges) every year so they didn't lose their spot in the earlybird lottery.
Are you trolling?
What do you mean "keep mentioning True Dungeon"?  I mentioned it exactly once in this thread, in direct response to another poster who introduced True Dungeon the topic by saying: "...that kind of rewards program would reward the attendee who buys multiple TD runs over the one who attends free seminars..."
You've misstated how GenCon shares revenue with its event hosts in general (*although see TD specific notes below):

• Your incorrect claim: Any 2 hour event nets GenCon $2, regardless of ticket price.
  • Correct information: GenCon recieves a minimum of $2 per 2 hour chunk of event time
  • (rounded up to the nearest 2 hours).  For events that charge over $20 per 2 hour block, GenCon collects an additional 10% of the event cost, further...

• GenCon actually collects all the money up front, and only reimburses the GM/event host for the extra fees collected when a ticket is turned in at the event and then submitted to GenCon for reimbursement:

• Someone buys an event ticket but doesn't show up?  GenCon keeps the entire event fee
      • Exhibitor forgets to collect tickets / loses tickets? GenCon keeps the entire event fee

* There is no reason you would know this in particular, but True Dungeon doesn't function like any old game exhibitor - True Dungeon has a seperate agreement with GenCon, the terms of which are not public.  No one other than GenCon and True Dungeon would know for certain how they split up revenue, and whether True Dungeon is subject to any additional costs that other event hosts might not be (TD is unique among event hosts in blocking out an entire region of the event space for days before hand to set up).As for the rest of your breathless allegations about me - I suggest you try to work on your reading comprehension, as evidently you can't undersand either me, or the GenCon event hosting quide, both of which you have misunderstood.
I never said "all money people spent on years before you attended shouldn't [be considered to help gencon]," or anything like it.
I never said TD attendees deserve any special treatment - I simply acknowleged another poster's point that a loyalty program that factors in money spent on event tickets would tend to benefit customers who spent more on tickets (TD being a salient example).  

Here  is your excite quote:

One could observe that a GenCon attendee who buys multiple True Dungeon tickets contributes more revenue to GenCon LLC. than one who attends free seminars...I agree a loyalty program based on years of attendance probably doesn't make sense.  A loyalty program based on money spent on badges and event tickets, and hours volunteered over the last 2-3 years I think could make a lot of sense

hmmm maybe YOU should take reading comprehension so you could under stand that you did say that true dungeon attendees deserve higher priority over those who attend free events. 

I further observed that perhaps that wouldn't be a bad thing, from GenCon's perspective, as customers who spend more on tickets generate more revenue for GenCon than ones who don't.

and then YOU ignored when I told you to read the event hosting policy to see a 2 hour $40 true dungeon ticket generates just as much as a regular $4 2 hour ticket.  

Sorry i I was wrong it's 1dollar an hour not 2. Bu then again YOU TOTALLY MISREPRESENT THE EXTRA FEES FOR OVER $20 an hour.  An 10% credit card processing fee is not extra revenue f gencon.

Example:  if I run a game there is a set price that gencon charges however I can
decide to charge more to off set the cost.  All he extra money goes o me so say an 2 hour event that I charge $38 for generates just as much money for gencon that a regular 2 hour event.  Again since you like to question the reading ability of others READ THE EVENT HOST POLICY.  As for trolling pointing out your biased strawman arguments isn't trolling.  Such as now pointing out that you want a loyalist you program for money spent and time Volunteered or events ran in the last 3-5 years.  Hmmm I wonder when it is you started attending or helping.  By putting a limit of time of money spent at gencon YOU ARE SAYING money spent before that shouldn't count.  So by your measure only YOUR recent contributions should count but no one else including someone who may not had helped do to health issues or attended for years to help build gencon.  And any other method o measure locality shouldn't count.

and finally it's trolling calling you out but you quoting a poster calling all attendees before he attended as "neckbeardies" and you arguing his points show you agree with him.  So don't call people names and a use them of trolling when they call you out.  Btw look up the word hypocrite some time.

Posted by marimaccadmin

And when I ask people to calm down, and they don't, I just lock the thread.  

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
3 4 5 7
3 4 5 7