What do you think of the gaming groups?
Posted by brotherbock yog-sothoth in jersey

yog-sothoth in jersey wrote:
brotherbock wrote:
yog-sothoth in jersey wrote:
I think the gaming group or event organizer matters a lot, especially for RPG or LARP.  I won't sign up for an event unless I've researched the group and other people have had good experiences in the past.  
I've personally had a great experience with: 
Novus Ordo Seclorum
You Too Can Cthulhu (is that the same as Novus?)
MU Skulls
Iocane Productions
Rogue Judges

Iocane is legit, absolutely. Their BSG larp was great, I'm upset I missed it last year. A ship needs it's security chief! They are great players too, we (BYOV) hit each other's games a lot :) I've always heard good things about Skulls, YTCC, and Rogue Judges too. Been around a long time with good word of mouth.  

I hear great things about BYOV! I need to try one of your events! 

Heck yeah :) We've got tickets available -- Sci-Fi, Contemporary Fantasy, B-Movie Madness, and Fey games this year. I'm in on the writing for the Sci-Fi and Contemporary Fantasy (Breath Before the Gallows/Pacts and Prophesy), coming together nicely.

Huh, GenCon's forums don't like embedded links to a search from their event lists. Here's the ugly version of a BYOV event list:

https://www.gencon.com/event_finder/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&search=BYOV

-

ryvre wrote:
I pick my larps based on the group running it more than the game itself.  I love Iocane, Mu Skulls, and BYOV!  There are some other larp groups that I know aren't my style, so I avoid them.  Even if the game sounds right up my alley, I won't have fun with certain play styles.

Thanks :)  You're right, there are a lot of different LARP styles, rule sets, moods, etc. There are some that I know are well done but aren't up my alley as well, and I've gotten similar feedback from a few people in the past about my own games - "Glad I played, but it's not my style." It's cool. There are tabletops play styles I don't enjoy as much as well.

We just try to help you have fun regardless. Usually it works. :)

Posted by glory daveculp

daveculp wrote:
The only group I look for is Game Base 7 and actively avoid games run by them.  I had a very bad experience in a Pathfinder game a few years ago run by them and decided I would never go to another game run by them.

Ditto this... but it was actually two negative experiences. So - I cross them right off the list when I'm looking. 

Posted by thejoltess glory

glory wrote:
daveculp wrote:
The only group I look for is Game Base 7 and actively avoid games run by them.  I had a very bad experience in a Pathfinder game a few years ago run by them and decided I would never go to another game run by them.

Ditto this... but it was actually two negative experiences. So - I cross them right off the list when I'm looking. 

What sort of negative experiences did you guys have with them? I signed up for a game that is in their group but I am debating dropping it.

Posted by garhkal

Also, did you contact them about that bad experience to try and get it resolved for the next year (or at least find out WHY it was bad??)

Posted by glory

I mean... sometimes GMs aren't just your cup of tea, right? They have a different play style or personality that makes enjoyment of the game fun. I've had two bad GMs through GB7. So, since my gaming time is limited I decided to cut out the entire group to make sure that I'm not wasting my time. 

Is that fair? Maybe not. But it works for me. 

EDITED: One of those GMs let in 10 people for what was supposed to be a 6 person RPG. That's crazy and it made the game AWFUL. I bailed halfway through I was having so little fun. 

Posted by parody

I guess I haven't posted this for a long time now, and any old posts are probably gone, so here goes.

My group of three friends gave up on Game Base 7 board/card game events a long time ago.  A summary of our experiences:

Each time the "GM" just came by, threw down a game box, took our tickets, and left.  (Unlike many other board/card game events where the GM helps the players with the game if needed.)

Two of three times the game box was missing parts, so we had to go to HQ and see what we could find.  One of those three times my friend's group was unable to cobble together a complete set from what was available at GB7 HQ.  After arguing with the HQ folks, they gave up on getting their tickets refunded and just left.

That's why we don't play GB7 games.  These things happened a long time ago, so things may have improved.  We don't feel like finding out when there's plenty of other ways to play board/card games.  Also, I don't believe any of us has tried playing a GB7 RPG event, so I can't offer an opinion on those.

FWIW: if you're going to run a game rental service, advertise it as such.  (These events were not advertised as such in the book.)  Make sure the sets are complete, because it's not much of a rental service if you can't actually play the game.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.