Few Magic: The Gathering choices this year
Posted by gitzlaff

Is this just a matter of chance or timing, or is there something going on I didn't hear about that's swept them off the calendar this year?  Last year there were scores of options with thousands of player slots, this year I see two and they look a little bit like afterthoughts.

Posted by njseahawksfan

I seem to recall this happening last year too.  Pasttimes runs all Magic events at GenCon and they are notorious for turning things in late.  I think they got posted before Registration went live last year ...

Posted by derekguder

The Magic events currently in the system are "independent" ad hoc events. The normal full schedule is still pending and will be added as soon as we are able to get them in.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by gitzlaff

Thanks - my kids will be happy to hear that.

Posted by njseahawksfan

I Facebook messaged Pasttimes and they responded thusly:

"Unfortunately our GenCon schedule hasn't been set yet. We'll post information as soon as it's final. Thanks for checking!"

So ... forthcoming, but not here yet.

Posted by boc_mage

Normal for past times, Ares (wings of war/glory) is also notoriously laggy in this respect. It sucks for those of us that have to schedule ahead of time to due to volunteer/hard commitments. 

Posted by xanathon

Is there a time frame in which the Magic events run by Pastimes Games will be in the event listing?

Posted by derekguder

No. Generally, we don't provide a timeline for late submissions - they are processed as soon as we have the opportunity to do so.

Check back regularly and/or follow us on Twitter for major updates.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by sweendog

Who do we follow on Twitter for this?  

Posted by kaledor

I hope they do a 93/94 format! That would rock this world!

Posted by njseahawksfan

Pasttimes told me today that the events have been submitted.  I hold out hope they'll go live soon ...

Posted by kugo2006

Very few events if any fill up, and signing up in Gencon's system doesn't actually sign you up in the pasttimes MTG event, so you're usually better off registering day-of anyway.

Posted by gitzlaff kugo2006

kugo2006 wrote:
Very few events if any fill up, and signing up in Gencon's system doesn't actually sign you up in the pasttimes MTG event, so you're usually better off registering day-of anyway.

I don't disagree that few MtG games fill up, but also that's not really the main concern. I, for one at least, would like to know when the Pastimes events are going to be held so that my sons and I can decide what OTHER games to sign up for. Many of those other games we're thinking about do tend to fill up quickly. 

Posted by leo2005

It really is a bummer that the main Magic events aren't up before event registration opens.  I too would like to see them before I purchase tickets to other games that might overlap the Magic events I want to attend.  I'll also probably be interested in some of the more unique Magic events, with usually come with a lower max participant cap than the ones that continually fire.  Will there be any way to know immediately when the Magic events finally become available, and is it too much to hope for that there might still be some kind of queue to get those events?  I do remember the Magic event list coming out pretty late last year (but believe it still made it before event registration opened).  If the reason we do not have the list yet is that Pastimes submitted it late, and if this sort of disorganization is habitual on their part, I seriously hope they are being penalized in some way that will get them to care (or that a more organized event runner can be found in the future).

Posted by derekguder

There will be no queue nor direct notification.

We'll post on Twitter & in the forums when they're active, but there is no capacity to notify you directly when new events are added.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.