Close food options to Stadium?
Posted by boc_mage

Thanks to the layout shift i'm now spending majority of my con (30+ hours) in Lucas oil stadium. Trying to get a feel for what is available for food options as a dine and dash during volunteer breaks. I've learned to avoid the food trucks  I've never walked farther south than the Omni so looking for ideas.

Advice/suggestions appreciated,

Posted by trace_sl

The questions is when and how long do you have.  Unless it has changed in the last two years I have not been, there is a Hooters on 25 W Georgia St, just a couple of blocks away that I seems to miss a lot of the Gen Con crowd. 

Posted by jhs

I went to a cafeteria/deli called shapiro's that was fantastic a few blocks south of there.  I will be going again, too!

Posted by aldctjoc

Google is showing me a few spots I never knew existed, like the "Tavern on South" in the Holiday Inn Express immediately west of the stadium (FYI, I tend to abbreviate Lucas Oil's name as "LOS"). I don't know if it's any good, but it's showing up on Google Maps.

Really, though, there's plenty of decent stuff not too far north. Both Claddagh Irish Pub and The Old Spaghetti Factory are not too far from there, just a few blocks north and east of LOS.

There's a place I've heard of but have never gone too that's directly  east of LOS: The Slippery Noodle Inn. I don't know anything about its food, but I've never heard bad things about the business itself. On the contrary, it seems to be a well respected spot by locals.

Posted by aldctjoc

Whoa, somehow this double posted. Duplicate erased. 

Posted by boc_mage

Thanks for the suggestions, my google fu must be week today. Looking for something i can grab and walk back to stadium between volunteer shifts and dungeon runs (40-60min time window). With 1st year for TD moving over there all my muscle memory and normal routines likely need changed.

Posted by brotherbock boc_mage

The restaurant in the Crowne Plaza will do carry out. They're not bad, but a bit overpriced. They are close, which is nice. 

Posted by alans aldctjoc

aldctjoc wrote:
Google is showing me a few spots I never knew existed, like the "Tavern on South" in the Holiday Inn Express immediately west of the stadium (FYI, I tend to abbreviate Lucas Oil's name as "LOS"). I don't know if it's any good, but it's showing up on Google Maps.
Really, though, there's plenty of decent stuff not too far north. Both Claddagh Irish Pub and The Old Spaghetti Factory are not too far from there, just a few blocks north and east of LOS.
There's a place I've heard of but have never gone too that's directly  east of LOS: The Slippery Noodle Inn. I don't know anything about its food, but I've never heard bad things about the business itself. On the contrary, it seems to be a well respected spot by locals.
Tavern on South is going to have the "Munchkin Tavern" again this year, after a year's absence...

Posted by jerrytel

Slippery Noodle was good a few years back when I was there

Posted by trace_sl

Something to think about are places that allow you to call in or email in your order for pick-up, it can save time.  the problem is you are going to have to check the web sites for that info but you can do that ahead of time and have it ready for Gen Con.

Posted by maijstral2 boc_mage

boc_mage wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions, my google fu must be week today. Looking for something i can grab and walk back to stadium between volunteer shifts and dungeon runs (40-60min time window). With 1st year for TD moving over there all my muscle memory and normal routines likely need changed.
IIRC there is a white castle about a short block away on the corner. I believe if you walk out the north entrance of the stadium or come up the underground walkway into the ICC you can look to your right and see it. same side of the street as the Stadium catty corner to the ICC.

Posted by brotherbock maijstral2

bobvilla wrote:
boc_mage wrote:
IIRC there is a white castle about a short block away on the corner. I believe if you walk out the north entrance of the stadium or come up the underground walkway into the ICC you can look to your right and see it. same side of the street as the Stadium catty corner to the ICC.

Yeah, but White Castle is like drinking the water on vacation. If you're not used to White Castle, you really don't want to eat it on vacation. 

Posted by aldctjoc

Oh, Mother of God, why would I White Castle myself on vacation? I'd end up spending half my con hours in the bathroom if I ever did that! ;)

Posted by marimaccadmin

Oh, there's an Arby's right there, that might help you out.  It's maybe a block away.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.