Didn't get your room? READ THIS!
1 3 5
1 3 5
Posted by watchdog joelf847

joelf847 wrote:
While it might not make a huge difference, I think with the insane demand for downtown hotel rooms they should stop reserving some for the VIG program.  Completely not fair that some can pay extra to get a preferred hotel room if your lottery system is supposed to be fair for everyone.  There's no reason Gen Con should have a top 1% situation.
They have hundreds of people willing to pay $600 a year for VIG membership, which means they have well over one hundred thousand reasons to do so.  

Posted by joelf847 watchdog

watchdog wrote:
joelf847 wrote:
While it might not make a huge difference, I think with the insane demand for downtown hotel rooms they should stop reserving some for the VIG program.  Completely not fair that some can pay extra to get a preferred hotel room if your lottery system is supposed to be fair for everyone.  There's no reason Gen Con should have a top 1% situation.
They have hundreds of people willing to pay $600 a year for VIG membership, which means they have well over one hundred thousand reasons to do so.  
Sure, and if they put profit over fairness, they will continue to do so.  But it severely weakens their stance that they do the lotto out of fairness, if they simultaneously let people buy their way to the front of the line.  Can't have it both ways.

Posted by lore seeker joelf847

joelf847 wrote:
watchdog wrote:
joelf847 wrote:
Sure, and if they put profit over fairness, they will continue to do so.  But it severely weakens their stance that they do the lotto out of fairness, if they simultaneously let people buy their way to the front of the line.  Can't have it both ways.

They're an American corporation; of course they can.

(Heavy on the bitter sarcasm, since there's no font tools to indicate that)

Posted by jcirillo1971

The same bitching and moaning happens every year on the day of Hotel Registration.   People get upset because they don't get what they want.  They say they are not going to GenCon.   That year, its a record attendance for the convention.

The same bitching and moaning happens every year on the day of Event Registration.  People get upset because they don't get what they want.  They say they are not going to GenCon. That year, its a record attendance for the convention.

If I was the owner for GenCon LLC, I too would be thinking "If it aint broke, dont fix it".

Posted by kjelstad

VIG is a few rooms that don't go into the lottery but less people trying to use the lottery as well so you wouldn't get that much help.  Some people just have bad luck.  Out of eight people in our group at least six had times under an hour.  Ameritrash at its best 

Posted by mr. spock's ears

I think this thread shoulds be stickied.  The info at the top is really helpful for anyone who didn't get a downtown room and is looking for construcive options on what to do.

Posted by david greig- ma

SLEEP INN & SUITES AND CONFERENCE CENTER DOWNTOWN still has rooms available, just made the switch from Southport to there.

Posted by sadieros73

Thanks David-- I just made the switch from 10 miles out to the Sleep INN.  Still hoping for something connected to open up later, but this might workout

Posted by lore seeker

Yeah, Sleep Inn has some decent prices, but it's 2.5 miles out - not bad, but too far to walk. And given the state of convention transportation, I worry about even that small distance.

Posted by marimaccadmin

I would not walk it, but it wouldn't be a too bad Uber ride.

Posted by david greig- ma

4km or so, that's walkable to me :)

Posted by marimaccadmin david greig- ma

david greig- ma wrote:
4km or so, that's walkable to me :)
  You say that, but you have to remember you'll be walking a lot in and round the con too.

Posted by lore seeker

Not to mention it's going to be August - that is, one of the hottest months of the year.

Posted by lore seeker

Okay, stupid question time about that Sleep Inn place:

-Does it charge for parking?
-Do the rooms have individual toilets?

Never been there, and I don't like taking anything for granted.

Posted by marimaccadmin lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
Okay, stupid question time about that Sleep Inn place:
-Does it charge for parking?
-Do the rooms have individual toilets?
Never been there, and I don't like taking anything for granted.

You can google it, however, I assure you that no chain hotel in this country does NOT have individual toilets.  Not sure if you are from out of the country or what, but, but yeah.  That's not an issue in this country in hotels.

Posted by lore seeker

Thanks. And no, I'm from the US - like I said, I take nothing for granted. Better to look stupid for a second than have an unpleasant surprise.

Yeah, I looked at the pics on the hotel site, and while there were no toilets depicted, I saw a dispenser in one shot, so I figure that was a sign. And there's free parking, according to TripAdvisor. And cab fare one-way is $8.60, which is easily compensated for by the savings on parking.

So I booked a room! Thanks to david for suggesting it!

Posted by marimaccadmin

I assure you, all chain hotels in this country, and really any hotel, except maybe some B and Bs or youth hostels, have individual toilets.  Don't need a pic.

Posted by linkn marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
lakoda wrote:
"Attendees are encouraged to find the transportation and parking needs that best suit their convention and housing plans."
So basically, FU, you are on your own. Typical.

Well we had a shuttle for the past two years, and people didn't really like that service either.......

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard the shuttle service was incredibly user-unfriendly.  I don't remember the details, but it sounded like you had to plan out your day well ahead of time to reserve a shuttle, and even that didn't always work as some of the shuttles were pretty late.  I could be mistaken, misremembering, or just hearing horror stories that aren't representative of the actual experience, but if that's at all true then I don't think it was a very good shuttle system.

Posted by mrshiny

Keep in mind too that cabs in the downtown area (which the Sleep Inn is just blocks out side of - but you could easily walk to where it is) are $5

http://www.circlecityclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/taxi-service-dt-program.pdf

Posted by mrshiny

Sleep Inn Amenities:

• Computer w/ Internet
  • Meeting Room*
  • Free Handicap Parking on Premises
  • Free Coffee
  • Multi-Lingual Staff
  • Braille Coded Exits
  • Fitness Center
  • Valet Cleaning Service*
  • Bus Parking
  • Free Hot Breakfast
  • Banquet Rooms*
  • Guest Laundry*
  • Designed to Dream Property
  • Late Check-Out Available*
  • No Pets Allowed
  • Truck Parking
  • Business Center
  • Braille Elevator(s)
  • Indoor Pool
  • Guest Use Copy Machine
  • Outdoor Parking
  • Windows Open
  • Government Travelers: FEMA Approved
  • 100% Smoke Free Hotel
  • Hotel accessible to individuals with disabilities
  • Guest Use Fax Machine
  • Multiple Phone Lines
  • Voice Mail
  • Free Newspaper Mon-Fri
  • Speaker Phone
  • Elevator(s)
  • Room Service*

* Indicates services/amenities that may require an additional cost.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 5
1 3 5