Will you work for a space in a downtown hotel?
Posted by ladyflame

If you didn't get what you were looking for in the Gencon hotel lottery today -- Contact me on this page if you want to run games for The Blue Max and I thru Fight in the Skies Society. Perks can include free badges and DOWNTOWN HOTEL SPACE!!

Posted by aurelt

What type of games and what kind of time commitment are you looking for?

Posted by lore seeker

Yeah, which games?

Posted by ladyflame

You need to run 200 player hours for a space in a hotel room-- player hours are calculated by length of game x number of players-- so a 2 hour game with 8 people is 16 hours..   it is not difficult to do in a reasonable amount of time.  Especially if you stack your games- ie... teach a 2 hour + game but don't play in it, and then start another game an hour in.  My group runs everything in one day and then we are done for the con... Realistically, you can do it very easy in 2 and still have lots of time to enjoy yourself.

As far as games, we are wide open- we let our GMs run what they like for the most part... :) 

Posted by lore seeker

No thanks.

Posted by ladyflame

Sorry you feel that way- it is very achievable to do this and get a comped $1000-$1500 hotel space... I have been doing this for a few years now and one day of my con to not fight the hotel rush and even better, not paying for it-- totally worth it.  Last year some of the GMs were at Crowne, Embassy, Hilton and Hyatt and I think the Westin ... 

Posted by jcirillo1971

I think that is a great offer, Ladyflame.   I lucked out with a room at the Westin today and I am planning on running a couple of games already so I cant take you up on that deal.  It is the volunteers and the game masters that make GenCon tick and I am glad to see it is those downtown rooms you are offering to them.

Posted by ladyflame

Thank you for understanding what we are offering -- if you have any interest in running a game or two for us as well to try us out, we are always looking for qualified GMs, and then maybe next year you can put in for a room with us :)

Posted by gib_rebeg

Ladyflame. I will say your offer is very generous, but question why you would offer here. I also GM a couple events at Gencon, and if I needed aid to help run events, I would first offer such a deal on our game's FB page as well as mailing list and website.

Why I wouldn't offer here is most people here have no idea of our game and wouldn't fully understand it's game mech's. Making it unfair to expect them to demo or aid in running our games in a way that does it justice. Where players who have played and love the games we run, would fully appreciate the offer and come with knowledge of how to play the games to aid in demo/run the games in a way to make it look good to new players.

Posted by sycotik

i would like to learn more about this. Please tell me more.

Posted by ladyflame

I offer it here after we have offered it to all our returning GMs and people that have expressed interest.  We don't run any particular games at Gencon, therefore, the GM's get to choose what they know and love to run.  We are the largest game group running games at Gencon- running well over 300 events last year.  We choose our GM's carefully but how are we to find new people when we don't look :)

Posted by ladyflame sycotik

sycotik wrote:
i would like to learn more about this. Please tell me more.
@sycotik-- are you on FB to chat?   Email me your FB info if so..   ladyflame4 at gmail dot com

Posted by mllungfish

My husband and I would be interested in at least learning more. We both have run RPGs and more. 

Posted by ladyflame mllungfish

mllungfish wrote:
My husband and I would be interested in at least learning more. We both have run RPGs and more. 
Sounds great-- please email me at ladyflame4 at gmail dot com  your FB info (seems to be the easiest way to talk)  :)

Posted by woodelf

Two thoughts:
200 player-hours of RPGs is a lot. Even if I could give a good experience for groups of 10 (which works for very few RPGs) that would still take 20 hours (probably 5 4-hr events) to rack up that time. At a more realistic group size of 6 players, you're looking at spending 34 hrs of your roughly 54 hrs (taking out sleep) at the convention running games.

I'm not in a position to take you up on this this year, but what about setting up a threshold just to get access to the hotel room? I'm not so much looking for a free room, as simply the chance to pay for one downtown. 

Posted by ladyflame woodelf

woodelf wrote:
Two thoughts:
200 player-hours of RPGs is a lot. Even if I could give a good experience for groups of 10 (which works for very few RPGs) that would still take 20 hours (probably 5 4-hr events) to rack up that time. At a more realistic group size of 6 players, you're looking at spending 34 hrs of your roughly 54 hrs (taking out sleep) at the convention running games.
I'm not in a position to take you up on this this year, but what about setting up a threshold just to get access to the hotel room? I'm not so much looking for a free room, as simply the chance to pay for one downtown. 
We have parameters set up for RPG GMs-- please email me at ladyflame4 at gmail dot com your FB info if you would like to discuss further :)

Posted by jerrytel

That is the rub - our group runs plenty of hours of games (close to 1000 for about 8-10 gms), but that only qualfies us for 1 room via the GM block. So...short of everyone in the group runnning 200 hours of games each to get a GM block room/share, we rely on the Housing Portal to get at least one room to supplement. We are a bust this year for the portal, so half our games are being cancelled and alternate plans are in process for those that are still attending.

Posted by glory jerrytel

jerrytel wrote:
That is the rub - our group runs plenty of hours of games (close to 1000 for about 8-10 gms), but that only qualfies us for 1 room via the GM block. So...short of everyone in the group runnning 200 hours of games each to get a GM block room/share, we rely on the Housing Portal to get at least one room to supplement. We are a bust this year for the portal, so half our games are being cancelled and alternate plans are in process for those that are still attending.

This stinks, Jerry. If I find anything, I'll keep you posted. 

Posted by ladyflame glory

glory wrote:
jerrytel wrote:

This stinks, Jerry. If I find anything, I'll keep you posted. 
I too am sorry that your group didn't get what they wanted, but why are putting that on my post?  Our GMs do work what is required to get their room spaces.. You make it sound like we are taking up rooms in the portal that we aren't earning..  We have the largest gaming group at Gencon and we work hard to maintain that - running 350+ events last year.. We have a very dedicated group of GMs every year. We always look for new blood but we aren't giving these away for a few hours work either- you have to earn them...  1000 hours for 10 GMs doesn't work for free room space... 

Posted by jerrytel

Sorry - in no way did I mean it that way (or how I was implying as such). I was just commenting on what another had mentioned. 200 player hours is alot of hours for one person. That is all. Good luck in recruiting.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.