Recommended sit-down restaurants
1 3
1 3
Posted by lore seeker

So places would people recommend as far as places to have a good meal during GenCon?

Posted by rodoubleb

Lot's of reviews here. 

http://www.gencon.com/forums/17-travel-housing-and-dining-2016/topics/325-downtown-restaurant-bar-review-hub

Posted by nikki

We ate at the Yard House for the first time last year.  We had a party of nine and every single one of us had our minds' blown by yumminess.

Colt's Grill is amazing.  Several of my friends say their mac and cheese is the best they've ever had and look forward to eating it every year.

The Ram is a lot of fun because they love us gamers and cater to us.

Posted by ploveking

Ten years of gencon, never gone to the ram. It's packed for the duration of gencon, with a wait to get in. Meanwhile, anything a block away is pretty much empty.

For a really good meal, the capital grill is awesome, but very spendy. It is our sunday night tradition now. I've been to two other capital grills, and the one in indy is the best of them. Another good high end option is Fogo de Chao.

Posted by brotherbock

Agree about the Ram.

Food is okay, but I'm busy during the Con. I rarely have the time to wait 45 minutes minimum before I eat.

Posted by lore seeker

Yeah, I've heard the Ram is hit-or-miss, depending on which day you eat there. Long waits, running out of items...I'll have to check it out though. If it's ridiculously packed, I'll just walk out and head somewhere else.

Posted by nikki

Regarding the Ram:  we always go early, usually when they first open on Wednesday or Thursday.  We don't have a long wait and they always have all the food.  I can see trying to go during the peak hours would make for a long wait because it is so popular.

Posted by klaron

Easy, The Greek Islands. 

Easy walk (4 or 5 blocks?) and they have fantastic food.  Family run restaurant and you can order Greek beer and flaming cheese!  Opa!  We've been going here once or twice per Gen Con since 2008.  The staff is so friendly and the owner is a super nice guy.  Say hello to the "Greek Godfather", if you see him, you'll know who we are referring to.  Wonderful man.

http://www.greekislandsrestaurant.com/

Posted by brotherbock klaron

klaron wrote:
Easy, The Greek Islands. 
Easy walk (4 or 5 blocks?) and they have fantastic food.  Family run restaurant and you can order Greek beer and flaming cheese!  Opa!  We've been going here once or twice per Gen Con since 2008.  The staff is so friendly and the owner is a super nice guy.  Say hello to the "Greek Godfather", if you see him, you'll know who we are referring to.  Wonderful man.
http://www.greekislandsrestaurant.com/

Ooh, that sounds interesting. Saganaki is super tasty, and I like supporting locally owned places.

Posted by timbery30

If you want to really splurge on a nice, expensive dinner, St. Elmo's is a good choice. My hubby and I always make it our one romantic dinner of the Con.

If you want something quick and cheap but still very good, the Steak n' Shake is fantastic. Both are a block east of the convention center so super easy to get to. Also open early and late so if you need a late night meal, it works quite well.

The Ram is good but you need to get there early. Otherwise yes, the wait is brutal! I've heard the Slippery Noodle is excellent - it's on my list of places to try out this year.

Posted by jeffro412

Spaghetti Factory, Buca de Beppo, Tilted Kilt, The Cladagh, Jimmy Johns, Webers Grill, Circle Center Mall Food Court, Shrimp Cocktail at St Elmos ( high end) is incredible, Rathskellar ( German food, music and beer) Slippery Noodle for the Blues. Too many small places to name. Just remember Indiana does not have carry out alcohol on Sunday.

Posted by aldctjoc

The Ram is very "meh" food-wise. But dammit, I have to give 'em a hearty thumbs up just for how much they embrace the Gen Con crowd. 

If people are willing to make the trek (likely by car, since it's a bit of a walk): City Market at lunch. You'll see at the link that it's not a single restaurant, instead it's more like a "farmer's market" sort of setup for multiple food vendors. 

Also: http://www.indianapolismonthly.com/best-restaurants. Few of them will be close to the ICC, but still, it's a list to consider.

Posted by sulis

We like to make a point of eating at the Claddagh every year. Not a long walk, but far enough away that you're not waiting an hour for a seat. Also, the food is amazing. Rock Bottom Brewery is also really tasty.

For a good, quick lunch, Ali Baba's is a quick walk, and also not within the general realm of crazy-busy places. A five minute walk, tasty gyros and baklava for lunch, and back in less than half an hour. Also, very reasonable prices.

If you feel like driving to Fountain Square (Virginia Street), there are SO many excellent options. It's a five minute drive. Maybe. And it's worth it. Mama Irma's does excellent Peruvian food. Kuma's Corner is burgers and some of the best mac and cheese I've ever eaten, served with heavy metal and sci-fi movies. Shapiro's for some great Greek food.

Posted by garhkal

It also depends on what sort of meal you are looking for.  For me, there is a great Indian restaurant downtown almost opposite the train station hotel (can't remember its name right now), called Haveli's..

Posted by aaronmlopez

I am sure somebody has been to The Tamale Place (featured on Triple-D). Is it worth the drive for those of us who are not local?

Posted by brotherbock aldctjoc

aldctjoc wrote:
The Ram is very "meh" food-wise. But dammit, I have to give 'em a hearty thumbs up just for how much they embrace the Gen Con crowd. 
If people are willing to make the trek (likely by car, since it's a bit of a walk): City Market at lunch. You'll see at the link that it's not a single restaurant, instead it's more like a "farmer's market" sort of setup for multiple food vendors. 
Also: http://www.indianapolismonthly.com/best-restaurants. Few of them will be close to the ICC, but still, it's a list to consider.

The City Market is walkable. It's maybe two blocks past Scottys, isn't it? 

Posted by nscott brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
aldctjoc wrote:

that would depend on which direction you were approaching Scotty's from :). Its at the northeast corner of Market and Delaware.

Posted by brotherbock nscott

nscott wrote:
brotherbock wrote:
aldctjoc wrote:

that would depend on which direction you were approaching Scotty's from :). Its at the northeast corner of Market and Delaware.

If you're talking about the market right next to the farmers market, groups of us from the old forums have gone there before. Easily walkable. 

Posted by adam_26 aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:
I am sure somebody has been to The Tamale Place (featured on Triple-D). Is it worth the drive for those of us who are not local?
I'm a local and I say it depends... Of course I'm a bit of a hipster because we used to go for the great portions and price; but then they got TV famous and the portions and price went in different directions. The food is still good though and the chips and queso are great. I actually get the half torta over the tamales. There are 2 locations, one in the City Market and then the normal store location. You could do the City Market in a LONG walk from the convention center if you wanted. I say go for it if you are interested in the slightest, it is good food, but don't expect to be knocked off your feet.

Posted by stevespikes

My votes has to go to The Claddagh and Scotty's Brewhouse.

The Claddagh is wonderful.  The service is beyond belief.  And the food is so delicious.

Scotty's Brewhouse is a hump, but they welcome Gen Con attendees like there's nothing else -- especially with their themed menus, and custom dice they give out (while supplies last).  Each day has its own color.  Be sure to drop by for that day's die.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3
1 3