Spicer's 5-4-3-2-1 Rule
Posted by garhkal doombunny

doombunny wrote:
"Younger me" would have scoffed at 5 ours of sleep. "Current me" very much agrees that it's a good idea. I miss "Younger me", He was hardcore. I have a 2am Pathfinder game though so this year I might have tough through it for one day.

Same here.  As a early 20s gamer i could routinely do 26-30 hr game weekends (starting late friday going till we dropped in the wee hours of sunday morning, NO breaks other than for food/toilet)..  Now days i feel NACKARED after sunday..

Posted by bith

Current me scoffs at 5 hours of sleep as well.  Not anywhere near enough sleep.

Posted by rhone1

5 hours of sleep seems a bit light.  If you want to avoid the Con Crud best to think more about 7 -8 hours.

Also, please shower, wear deodorant and wash your hands after going to restroom!

Posted by doombunny

Yeah what is with people not washing their hands? It's gross.

As for sleep, many years of working multiple jobs has conditioned me to get by on less sleep."Younger me's" record was four days of being awake, not for gaming, it might have been an unfortunate amount of work schedule shuffling with multiple jobs, but I no longer remember. I just never went to bed and didn't even really feel tired but by the end of the fourth day I was watching a garbage can melt. It was a "unique" experience. At any rate I am certainly no longer capable of such feats, and don't really recommend them to others.

Posted by kaliena

2013 GenCon I averaged 9 miles per day -- shuttled from airport hotels.  2015 GenCon I averaged 11 miles per day, DownTown hotel.

If you are a RPGr or Magic person and generally just sit most con, you probably can skip your normally skipped meals. If you are me, on the other hand...

• Pack 2 pairs of trustworthy, not too old, but not new-new shoes.
  • Full clothing change out is essential half way through day. Shower if Downtown, use wipes in rest room if commuting.  Dry shampoo for your hair is handy-dandy too.
  • Eat when you're hungry. Pack sealed snacks to save money and time. More protein and fat, less sugar.  It's fine to graze from your backpack for breakfast and lunch and have a fulfilling dinner with something fresh and green. 

Posted by garhkal rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
5 hours of sleep seems a bit light.  If you want to avoid the Con Crud best to think more about 7 -8 hours.

True, 7-8 hrs is often the normal recommended time to get, but if you have games starting at 8am each day, that usually entails stopping gaming at around 10 to 10.30pm, so you can get back to your hotel, have a little unwind time, shower and hit the sack..

Posted by rayken

Everyone's individual needs vary wildly. Sticking to a strict number thing is kind of arbitrary. 

For instance, 3 meals a day? 2 showers? 5 hours of sleep? 

Some people are fine with 4 hours of sleep and coffee some nights, and more sleep other nights. Some people are fine eating twice a day and snacking. I personally eat one meal a day and then small snacks most of the day.

The 2 showers is just weird to me. How sweaty are you? I can shower before bed and I am fine the following day, typically. I rarely stand outside in the heat and find that as long as proper antiperspirant deodorant is utilized, you're fine. For larger individuals that don't wear deodorant, I have smelled them pretty far away, but I suspect they aren't showering even once a day at that.

I'm also seeing people start to peddle around the "drink water, wear good shoes, eat food if you are hungry" over and over. These lists are starting to become more like explaining to kids what to do as parents, instead of actual advice. It's a air conditioned building where you'll walk a few miles. Not war.

I suspect soon these lists will include breathing at proper times for good oxygen regulation, too.

Posted by bith rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
THIS!  The largest factor for "con crud" isn't sickness you picked up at the con.  It's sickness you already had, that your body is too exhausted to fight off because you didn't sleep.

If your "con crud" is picking up within 24 hours of the convention ending, odds are very strong you already had it, and the exhaustion exacerbated it.  Incubation periods being a thing and all.

Posted by gharris acedaryl

acedaryl wrote:
  GenCon staff doesn't want to be picking some con-goers up off the floor because they thought they could exists on Mountain Dew and Cool Ranch Doritos for 4 days straight.

Nobody wants to smell what a gamer smells like after they have been living on Mountain Dew and Doritos either. Real food is not only much better for your metabolism but it also helps to cut down on gamer funk.

Posted by stiehle

Six hours sleep for me is about right, and man I always have to shower in the morning just to wake up!  Not to mention my hair feels greasy and I just feel plain icky throughout the day if I don't get that a.m. shower.

Posted by garhkal rayken

rayken wrote:The 2 showers is just weird to me. How sweaty are you? I can shower before bed and I am fine the following day, typically. I rarely stand outside in the heat and find that as long as proper antiperspirant deodorant is utilized, you're fine. For larger individuals that don't wear deodorant, I have smelled them pretty far away, but I suspect they aren't showering even once a day at that.

Well, i've known some people who ARE naturally smelly, in some cases to where they HAVE to shower 2 to 3 times a day, just to not stink someone out with their BO..

Posted by nascragman

4 events per day depends on the length of the events you are playing.  I generally play 4 hour RPGs.  Four of those a day would be a brutal 16 hour marathon, especially if they were back to back.  I do 2-3, one usually a seminar or something shorter.  Then spend some time in the dealer area (usually in the morning).  That's plenty and allows for meals.

Posted by jeff321

Yeah I disagree with most of these.

5 hours sleep?  Should be 7.  I agree with others, this is the #1 way to avoid the con crud.  No sleep = weak immune system = sickness.
4 scheduled events?  I do as many as I can fit, leaving some time for dealers and meals.
3 meals?  I usually skip breakfast in real life so 2 is fine.  Hydration is super important though.
2 showers?  Most people don't have connected hotels to be able to do this.  1 shower though, absolutely.
1 trip through exhibit?  Ok, agreed.

Posted by lordnlkon

Yeah I will definitely be showering twice. At wake up and before bed. But I normally do that already so not a big deal. 

Posted by garhkal nascragman

nascragman wrote:
4 events per day depends on the length of the events you are playing.  I generally play 4 hour RPGs.  Four of those a day would be a brutal 16 hour marathon, especially if they were back to back.  I do 2-3, one usually a seminar or something shorter.  Then spend some time in the dealer area (usually in the morning).  That's plenty and allows for meals.

It IS brutal.  Leaving only 8 hrs between each day for food, sleep, moving from/to the hotel and showering..  But i'm used to it, having done it for 13 of the past 17 gencons i have been to.

Posted by urielblue ladyimm

ladyimm wrote:
Vitamin C too - for those prone to things like con-crud (read, ME) -- and thanks for the idea about making sure I eat enough.  I've been on a faithful Weight Watcher's diet (and a different one before that) since March and I was planning to keep to the points I'm at now - but I think I can afford more with all the extra walking I WILL do.
Fantastic tips, Spicer - as usual!
I already started with multivitamins, and extra C, to get myself kickstarted. I don't always take them at home, but getting into the habit @ Gencon extends after (Usually...).

Posted by bith

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jan/24/health-foods-immune-system-colds-vitamins

"Why binging on health foods won't boost your immune system"

Posted by david campbell bith

I'd be willing to bet there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that invalidates the science behind that!

(Yes, I know what I said...:))

Posted by stiehle bith

It's just as I thought.  Pizza, hot wings and soda is THE perfect diet...  :)

Posted by roganca bith

Nah, the Mayo Clinic website says cold symptoms appear 1 to 3 days after infection. If you have a cold right after the Con, it had something to do with those 60,000 people you gamed with.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.