Gen Con renews contract
1 3 4 5
1 3 4 5
Posted by nialith

For those people who may not peruse the Facebook group. 

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2016/12/06/gen-con-renews-contract-indy-until-least-2021/95042466/

Renewed through 2021 now. 

Posted by squirecam

Glad it was only a 1 year extension.

I like Indy.....but there are problems that REALLY need solving. Downtown hotel space is #1 and outer hotels with a reasonable shuttle are #2.

If those things are not resolved, and sadly the last few years have been a downward trend, then Gen con needs freedom to explore its options.

Frankly, no more extensions should be made until the above issues are addressed.

Posted by quarex

Granted, Problem #2 could probably be fixed by moving.  But are you aware of the countless conversations people have had in past years where it is generally agreed-upon that Indianapolis quite likely has the most connected-to-convention-center hotel space in the country?  Not going to be possible to beat Indianapolis for #1 unless you lean heavily enough on #2 to make up for it, which means going to a huge city that would then swallow Gen-Con instead of temporarily making its downtown over into a gaming metropolis.  All sound like bad options to me.

Posted by garhkal

Its not just the # of hotels i see an issue, but the "hotel tax" indy also jacks onto the prices that is making it financially an issue for many to come..

Posted by bugwar garhkal

garhkal wrote:
Its not just the # of hotels i see an issue, but the "hotel tax" indy also jacks onto the prices that is making it financially an issue for many to come..

And your recommendation for correcting that is?

Posted by squirecam quarex

quarex wrote:
Granted, Problem #2 could probably be fixed by moving.  But are you aware of the countless conversations people have had in past years where it is generally agreed-upon that Indianapolis quite likely has the most connected-to-convention-center hotel space in the country?  Not going to be possible to beat Indianapolis for #1 unless you lean heavily enough on #2 to make up for it, which means going to a huge city that would then swallow Gen-Con instead of temporarily making its downtown over into a gaming metropolis.  All sound like bad options to me.

I dont care about a "gaming metropolis" feeling. I care about a reasonable close hotel, with a reasonable price, or barring that a reasonable shuttle.

Gen con is failing in its current state on these issues. If I want atmosphere I'll get it inside the convention.

Posted by nscott squirecam

squirecam wrote:
Glad it was only a 1 year extension.
I like Indy.....but there are problems that REALLY need solving. Downtown hotel space is #1 and outer hotels with a reasonable shuttle are #2.
If those things are not resolved, and sadly the last few years have been a downward trend, then Gen con needs freedom to explore its options.
Frankly, no more extensions should be made until the above issues are addressed.
A convention specific shuttle sevice is gencons responsibilty not the city's. If gencon won't set one up anymore in Indy I don't anticipate that they would organize one anywhere else.

Posted by aaronmlopez

Since Gen Con doesn't build hotels, there really is no option for them in Indianapolis. Personally, I think that the hotel situation is as good as it can be with the limited number of hotel rooms available. Nearly 70k people WANT a connected hotel room, but there are only about 29k rooms available. (You may get 1 or 2k more with new hotels being built, but you will still be short.) This was not a problem when attendance was around 30k people. Most got a connected hotel but now Gen Con has grown. and the contract with Indianapolis was already in place. The shuttle idea would be ok, but it becomes a liability issue when you start thinking of insurance for transporting convention goers.

If anybody can provide an identity of a city with A) A large enough convention center to support Gen Con (there are not many, I guarantee it.) AND B) with enough connected or close hotel rooms where more than the 30k in Indianapolis could get a room close. This narrows your choices CONSIDERABLY, and makes the total pretty near ZERO. After 2021, I would be interested in seeing if another venue becomes possible. 

Posted by lore seeker garhkal

garhkal wrote:

I'd be interested to know if the 16% tax is specific to Indy or if it's like that elsewhere.

What doesn't help is the blatant collusion by the hotels to jack up the room rates right at GenCon time. If you look at the rates during the rest of the year and compare it to the GenCon nights, it's ridiculous.

Posted by austicke lore seeker

father bloodlust wrot
What doesn't help is the blatant collusion by the hotels to jack up the room rates right at GenCon time. If you look at the rates during the rest of the year and compare it to the GenCon nights, it's ridiculous.

I know, right? It's almost like there is limited supply and high demand! It's difficult to understand how prices would ever rise without collusion.

Posted by lore seeker austicke

austicke wrote:
father bloodlust wrot

I know, right? It's almost like there is limited supply and high demand! It's difficult to understand how prices would ever rise without collusion.

That cannot possibly account for a Hyatt room jumping up to $650/night (yes, that's a real price quoted from Trivago when I checked for GenCon time rooms).

Posted by austicke lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:That cannot possibly account for a Hyatt room jumping up to $650/night (yes, that's a real price quoted from Trivago when I checked for GenCon time rooms).

$650?!? You mean the price some people are willing to pay? Collusion!!!

Posted by garhkal lore seeker

bugwar wrote:
garhkal wrote:
And your recommendation for correcting that is?

Unfortunately the only one i can think of is to find a city that does NOT gouge visitors like that..
father bloodlust wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I'd be interested to know if the 16% tax is specific to Indy or if it's like that elsewhere.What doesn't help is the blatant collusion by the hotels to jack up the room rates right at GenCon time. If you look at the rates during the rest of the year and compare it to the GenCon nights, it's ridiculous.

Lets see.  Checking out this article from the Wall street journal, the top 5 worst offenders for 'visitor taxing' are
Kansas, NY, Chicago, Seattle and Boston.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10000872396390443749204578048421344521076

Posted by bugwar garhkal

Unfortunately the only one i can think of is to find a city that does NOT gouge visitors like that..
Which would be what city?

Posted by squirecam aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:
Since Gen Con doesn't build hotels, there really is no option for them in Indianapolis. Personally, I think that the hotel situation is as good as it can be with the limited number of hotel rooms available. Nearly 70k people WANT a connected hotel room, but there are only about 29k rooms available. (You may get 1 or 2k more with new hotels being built, but you will still be short.) This was not a problem when attendance was around 30k people. Most got a connected hotel but now Gen Con has grown. and the contract with Indianapolis was already in place. The shuttle idea would be ok, but it becomes a liability issue when you start thinking of insurance for transporting convention goers.
If anybody can provide an identity of a city with A) A large enough convention center to support Gen Con (there are not many, I guarantee it.) AND B) with enough connected or close hotel rooms where more than the 30k in Indianapolis could get a room close. This narrows your choices CONSIDERABLY, and makes the total pretty near ZERO. After 2021, I would be interested in seeing if another venue becomes possible. 
If you need close hotel space and a large convention center its vegas.

But a city with good public transport, like light rail or subways, would work too. Being able to get to the convention without having traffic and parking issues is key.

Posted by garhkal bugwar

bugwar wrote:

Which would be what city?

Any not in that big 5 i listed in that linked article..

Posted by aaronmlopez squirecam

squirecam wrote:
aaronmlopez wrote:
If you need close hotel space and a large convention center its vegas.But a city with good public transport, like light rail or subways, would work too. Being able to get to the convention without having traffic and parking issues is key.

I would not be thrilled about Vegas as it would probably be out of my price range for the time being. Orlando has a nice convention center with plenty of parking and there are several hotels nearby (Not sure if they would be considered "connected" or not). But as for now, I am happy with the Indianapolis location. If there is a rise in attendance (say another 20k average) then Indianapolis will probably not be able to support it. As for the raising of hotel costs? Just look at any vacation resort area. Hotel prices are higher during "peak" times versus "off peak". It is pretty much the same wherever you go. It's not GOUGING. It's supply and demand. High demand + limited supply = higher cost (Action comics #1 is a good example... low supply, high demand = you are going to shell out a fortune to own it. If there were millions of copies available, then the price would be low.)

Posted by squirecam aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:
squirecam wrote:
aaronmlopez wrote:
If you need close hotel space and a large convention center its vegas.But a city with good public transport, like light rail or subways, would work too. Being able to get to the convention without having traffic and parking issues is key.

I would not be thrilled about Vegas as it would probably be out of my price range for the time being. Orlando has a nice convention center with plenty of parking and there are several hotels nearby (Not sure if they would be considered "connected" or not). But as for now, I am happy with the Indianapolis location. If there is a rise in attendance (say another 20k average) then Indianapolis will probably not be able to support it. As for the raising of hotel costs? Just look at any vacation resort area. Hotel prices are higher during "peak" times versus "off peak". It is pretty much the same wherever you go. It's not GOUGING. It's supply and demand. High demand + limited supply = higher cost (Action comics #1 is a good example... low supply, high demand = you are going to shell out a fortune to own it. If there were millions of copies available, then the price would be low.)
If its the holidays...sure.

The price of hotels in the weeks before and after Gen con are MUCH lower. So it IS gouging.
Vegas has higher prices during holidays....but they dont raise prices because a convention is in town. Mostly because a convention is always in town.

The hotels know they can get away with it. So they do.

Posted by nialith

Why does it have to be the Holidays? If enough demand uses up the supply, guess what? The prices go up. This has been occurring since the dawn of time and happens everywhere. I completely understand that you don't like it but it's not price gouging. It's simple economics 101. 

Your Vegas example is pretty much apples and oranges as you point out yourself that there are always conventions. While Indy does make use of the Convention center all the time, we certainly don't host many the size of Gen Con that often. Thus, demand for hotel rooms is much lower most of the time. Same in Vegas really. I paid $70 for a room at the Hard Rock on a Wednesday evening but the same room cost me nearly $300 for the Saturday night. No holiday going on; just bigger demand for rooms on a weekend. Luckily, the company was paying for it or I sure as heck wouldn't have stayed there. 

Posted by garhkal aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote: Hotel prices are higher during "peak" times versus "off peak". It is pretty much the same wherever you go. It's not GOUGING. It's supply and demand. High demand + limited supply = higher cost (Action comics #1 is a good example... low supply, high demand = you are going to shell out a fortune to own it. If there were millions of copies available, then the price would be low.)

While that is true, what i am irked about is that towns such as ind have pushed a tax on VISITORS who have NO capacity to vote on said tax's implementation on us..  Unlike say a new levie for property taxes that we DO get to vote on in our local township/county..

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 4 5
1 3 4 5