Mobile app
Posted by vectorlit

Newest version is out for both iPhone and Android! It has a bunch of new features:

1) You can filter by start time for events.
2) You can now jump straight to a map from the the event by tapping on the location.
3) Typing an event name should now be easier.
4) Search should no longer bug out and show blank screens.
5) The loading indicator should now properly show when it's doing something.

Aaronmlopez - regarding the search for Event ID, I think I know what you're doing. First, an explanation: when you search, there are the "title" results that appear just below the typed words. These are "suggestions" for you to click on (similar to how google will autocomplete words for you). You don't have to click on these words, though - the real search results are below that drop-down. So if you instead click on the magnifying glass, or on the empty area below the drop-down suggestions, they will clear out and just leave you with the results of your search instead.

So what was happening when you were typing the Event ID was: you were clicking on the "suggestion", which replaced your event ID in the search with the title of the event instead.

I realize that this behavior was obviously confusing for Event IDs - so in the new version (which is out now!), if you type an event ID, the suggestions will "turn off" when you reach the final 2 characters of the event ID. Instead, you will only see the exact events in the search results list (no suggestions necessary!).

Try it out and let me know if you have any questions, or further suggestions!

Posted by aaronmlopez

Puargs,

When I go to the search bar and type in, for example, RPG17120757, All I get is a loading screen now. When I type in Core 3-1 I do get an auto-complete with the rest of the title, but the events are not loading. It may be my internet here at work. I'll check when I get home and follow up. 

Posted by vectorlit

Aaronmlopez:

I took a video of how the process *should* look for that on both platforms:

Android: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LgUdtdXxYE
iPhone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0NeHMrPyIU

Does it not work like this for your phone? If not, could you tell me exactly which phone you're using? I can try to replicate your situation.

Posted by aaronmlopez vectorlit

puargs wrote:
Aaronmlopez:
I took a video of how the process *should* look for that on both platforms:
Android: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LgUdtdXxYE
iPhone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0NeHMrPyIU
Does it not work like this for your phone? If not, could you tell me exactly which phone you're using? I can try to replicate your situation.

It is working from home where my internet connection is much better. (I am using iPhone, btw) so I am going to chalk it up to slow internet speed while at work.

Thanks for all you did with the app! It is great!

Posted by vectorlit

Fantastic! Great to hear. If you or anyone else has any further suggestions before the con, let me know :D

Posted by gcwebber

Hey!  Love the app(s), I have both.  The Lucas Oil Stadium map appears for me in the iOS app but not the Android, just FYI.  

Also - and I admit to not having played with them too much - it would be nice to have a way to input your game schedule, or mark games for which you are registered.

Posted by aaronmlopez gcwebber

gcwebber wrote:
Also - and I admit to not having played with them too much - it would be nice to have a way to input your game schedule, or mark games for which you are registered.

On the app, once you open an event, there is an "Add to Calendar" option on there. Just select it for each of your events. This should meet your needs as you just have to pull up your calendar to see your schedule.

Posted by vectorlit gcwebber

gcwebber wrote:
Hey!  Love the app(s), I have both.  The Lucas Oil Stadium map appears for me in the iOS app but not the Android, just FYI.  
Regarding the Lucas Oil Stadium map - if you update to the newest version of the Android app, it should be there; try checking for an update in the Play store and seeing if that fixes your problem. If you update to the newest version and it doesn't fix your problem, please let me know.

Then also as for the scheduling - as aaron said above, you can use the "add to calendar" feature in order to directly add it to your device's calendar (that way if you use a synchronized calendar like Google or ICloud, you'll see the events on all your devices at the same time).

I am also working on a feature that will allow you to save an *internal* list of events that you'd like to be notified of changes to when they occur. So when the device updates your events, it would let you know if one that you're interested in has changed. I am not sure about the general interest in this feature though, and it may take a while before I have it deployed.

Posted by jtzell

I think I may have found a bug, but I am not sure. I was trying to search the list on my flight today and without an Internet connection it kept crashing. As soon as I connected to wifi it was fine. It would be nice to be able to use it without need a connection especially at GenCon.

Posted by vectorlit jtzell

jtzell wrote:
I think I may have found a bug, but I am not sure. I was trying to search the list on my flight today and without an Internet connection it kept crashing. As soon as I connected to wifi it was fine. It would be nice to be able to use it without need a connection especially at GenCon.

Are you on iOS or Android? Had you already synced up the app to download the events before trying to open it when you had no internet? On which screen exactly was it crashing? Could you do anything before it crashed, or it crashed more or less immediately? Let me know and I'll look into it, thanks!

Posted by jtzell

I am on IOS  and I did do an update before trying to run it on the plane.  It is Crashing before it ever gets to the main screen.  it is trying to start but as I said it just crashes and immediately.

Posted by aaronmlopez

itzel, have you tried completely uninstalling the app and then re-installing rather than updating it?

Posted by vectorlit

Jtzell,
I don't know if this bug fix will specifically address your issue, but I was able to find a bug in the app that only happened when it was offline under certain circumstances. I have pushed an update to fix the problem. The update should be live on Android in about 2 hours, and live on iPhone in about 2 days (unfortunately, that's just how Apple rolls, it takes a while to get updates pushed out).

Thank you so much for reporting a problem! Try again when you receive the update (again, should be a few days for iPhone), and let me know if it fixes it for you!

Posted by vectorlit

Jtzell,
Also, in the meantime - if you have internet back, you can get the app working again by uninstalling it and then reinstalling it, as aaronmlopez mentioned. It should fix the problem for you for now, at least while you are online.

Posted by jtzell

So I reinstalled the new version and then disconnected all internet and it works like a charm. I will let you know if I run into anything else, thanks!

Posted by wendel

Seems to me that Gen Con should have an app for the convention!

Posted by vectorlit jtzell

jtzell wrote:
So I reinstalled the new version and then disconnected all internet and it works like a charm. I will let you know if I run into anything else, thanks!

Great! I have just been informed by Apple that the newest update is also now available as of 2 hours ago. It should hopefully fix any remaining bugs, if you have any. Feel free to update if you see the need.

Posted by vectorlit

Just a note that I am aware there have been some additions to the food truck schedule; the update should be ready tomorrow inside the app.

Posted by jevertt

Thanks for much for doing this, puargs - it's much appreciated, by many!

Posted by caitcreates vectorlit

puargs wrote:
Just a note that I am aware there have been some additions to the food truck schedule; the update should be ready tomorrow inside the app.

I love the app - great job!  I do have a question, though.  I'm running it on my iPad.  When I look at the Food Truck listings, the names of the trucks are all showing up in blue and are underlined, which make them look like links.  However, when I tap on them, nothing happens.  I've tried tapping and holding which creates a pop-up menu.  The pop-up menu also seems to imply that they are valid links - it includes the URL and various options to access the website, but choosing "Open" doesn't actually do anything - other than dismissing the pop-up menu.  If I use that menu to copy the URL, I can paste it into Safari and that brings me to the website.

Is this expected behavior?

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.