Mobile app
Posted by vectorlit

Caitcreates,
It is not expected behavior. It should open the link and to the truck's website. In this case, I use a simple HTML file and open it in the device's built-in web handler. Clicking the link should open the website (I test on 3 physical Android devices, 2 virtual Android devices, 1 physical iOS device, and 2 virtual iOS devices).

I did find that the physical iOS device failed to load the links *sometimes*, but not all the time. This happened only once during my tests and I chalked it up to internet problems. If you are having the same issue, it is possible I'm violating some kind of security policy involving nested pages. If you're on an older Android device, I could also see it happening if it's a bit out of date and the web handler isn't functioning as expected.

Bottom line, thank you for reporting the problem- if this is happening for you, it's undoubtedly happening for someone else out there. I won't have enough time to come up with a fix for this year (it boils down to the fact that I simply can't rely on device manufacturer's own built-in functionality, which SHOULD work properly but doesn't). However, for next year I might be able to simply make a custom page view without any built in HTML and open links in an external browser, avoiding the issue altogether.

In the meantime, I have 2 alternate suggestions if you need to be able to pull up the list at any time:

1) Bookmark the web resource directly from my site: you can find it here: https://vectorlit.net/images/foodtrucks.html
2) Grab the PDF made by James Zell and posted to the Unofficial Gen Con Facebook group, he has added links in his updated PDF as well.

The reason I don't use a PDF in my app is because it has even worse compatibility than embedded HTML files.

So again- thank you for reporting it! And I'm sorry wasn't able to give you the best "oh cool I fixed it" answer we were all hoping for.

Enjoy the con!!!!!!!

Posted by caitcreates vectorlit

puargs wrote:
Caitcreates,
It is not expected behavior. It should open the link and to the truck's website. In this case, I use a simple HTML file and open it in the device's built-in web handler. Clicking the link should open the website (I test on 3 physical Android devices, 2 virtual Android devices, 1 physical iOS device, and 2 virtual iOS devices).
I did find that the physical iOS device failed to load the links *sometimes*, but not all the time. This happened only once during my tests and I chalked it up to internet problems. If you are having the same issue, it is possible I'm violating some kind of security policy involving nested pages. If you're on an older Android device, I could also see it happening if it's a bit out of date and the web handler isn't functioning as expected.
Bottom line, thank you for reporting the problem- if this is happening for you, it's undoubtedly happening for someone else out there. I won't have enough time to come up with a fix for this year (it boils down to the fact that I simply can't rely on device manufacturer's own built-in functionality, which SHOULD work properly but doesn't). However, for next year I might be able to simply make a custom page view without any built in HTML and open links in an external browser, avoiding the issue altogether.
In the meantime, I have 2 alternate suggestions if you need to be able to pull up the list at any time:
1) Bookmark the web resource directly from my site: you can find it here: https://vectorlit.net/images/foodtrucks.html
2) Grab the PDF made by James Zell and posted to the Unofficial Gen Con Facebook group, he has added links in his updated PDF as well.
The reason I don't use a PDF in my app is because it has even worse compatibility than embedded HTML files.
So again- thank you for reporting it! And I'm sorry wasn't able to give you the best "oh cool I fixed it" answer we were all hoping for.
Enjoy the con!!!!!!!

Thanks for the suggestions - those will work just fine. And thanks so much for creating this app - it's incredibly useful!

I'm PMing you my setup in case you need more info on my setup - for next year, of course :)

Have a great con - you deserve it!

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3