4-Day Badges Sold Out, Limited Single-Day Badges Remain
(Pinned)
2 4 5
2 4 5
Posted by jm.spellslinger divachelle

divachelle wrote:
jm.spellslinger wrote:Ill be there too, taking photos to send all of my sad friends who are unable to attend due to badges selling out!
Are there really lots of people who missed out on 4-day badges? We always buy ours way early, so this is a foreign concept to me. I'm asking honestly, not being a jerk.

Well if they continued selling from release day until now, I would assume there is still demand and there will be people a large number of people that miss out. I was joking tho, I got my badge the first day it was available and asked all of my friends at that point. The people that will miss out were not hellbent on attending, but there will be plenty of disappointment I'm sure. 

Posted by bith divachelle

divachelle wrote:
jm.spellslinger wrote:Ill be there too, taking photos to send all of my sad friends who are unable to attend due to badges selling out!
Are there really lots of people who missed out on 4-day badges? We always buy ours way early, so this is a foreign concept to me. I'm asking honestly, not being a jerk.
There's one person posting on FaceBook that he missed out. 

Several of my friends would have missed out if I hadn't notified them of the initial "we might sell out this year" email, since they buy on sight to avoid the line.  There will certainly be people who show up expecting to be able to buy a badge because they always have been able to and they didn't bother to check.  At this point though, that's on them.  GenCon did everything it could to make people aware of this.

Posted by jcirillo1971

Those spontaneous, badge-less people that fly in or drive long distance to GenCon are going to have a rude awakening on the Wednesday/Thursday if they didn't receive the press release or was told of it.

Posted by nialith roganca

roganca wrote:
worst BADGE CAP Ever!

This made my day.

Posted by rhone1

I know that someone will post something soon about flying in to Gen Con from far away and now being stuck because they didn't buy their badge, but I just have a difficult time wondering why they didn't buy one sooner.  

Posted by gulfcoasttiger rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
I know that someone will post something soon about flying in to Gen Con from far away and now being stuck because they didn't buy their badge, but I just have a difficult time wondering why they didn't buy one sooner.  

Maybe because it's never sold out before? 1 and a half months prior to the event... Well, count me as the first.  Flew from China with my girlfriend to go to our first GenCon.  Terrible news.

Posted by roganca nialith

nialith wrote:
roganca wrote:
worst BADGE CAP Ever!

This made my day.

Posted by choriqueso

Well according to some "MAX Occupancy" calculator I found online... The full 1,300,000 sq ft of the property could hold 220k people standing. The 500,000 sq ft exhibition hall could hold 90k people standing. Food for thought. So it's ABSOLUTELY somewhere between 90 and 200 thousand people!

Posted by trace_sl choriqueso

shavenskaven wrote:
Well according to some "MAX Occupancy" calculator I found online... The full 1,300,000 sq ft of the property could hold 220k people standing. The 500,000 sq ft exhibition hall could hold 90k people standing. Food for thought. So it's ABSOLUTELY somewhere between 90 and 200 thousand people!

Laws, fire marshal and safety inspectors may disagree with than.  :)  It is like gaming, 3' X 3' square, so that 90k for dealer hall becomes 55k.  Then you have the second floor and weight limits, you have number of exits per people. 

We know the largest convention has been 70,000 for the American Rife Association, so, I lean to 75,000. 

Posted by roganca trace_sl

trace_sl wrote:
shavenskaven wrote:

Laws, fire marshal and safety inspectors may disagree with than.  :)  It is like gaming, 3' X 3' square, so that 90k for dealer hall becomes 55k.  Then you have the second floor and weight limits, you have number of exits per people. We know the largest convention has been 70,000 for the American Rife Association, so, I lean to 75,000. 

75k sounds just about right to me, too. That's my attendance guess.

Posted by grimgravy trace_sl

trace_sl wrote:
grimlon42 wrote:
I have a friend who has been a little down financially recently and did not get a chance to purchase the 4-day badge, and he was going to purchase it this upcoming week. Is buying each individual day pass the only way for him to attend the con now?

He can volunteer at the ENnie booth for 3 shifts and they will provide a badge - see EN World for details.

Do you know how to go about contacting them? And how long is a 'shift'?

Posted by trace_sl grimgravy

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?554864-2017-Booth-Duty-Volunteer-Sign-ups

shift is 2 hours, so 6 hours total

grimgravy wrote:
trace_sl wrote:
grimlon42 wrote:
I have a friend who has been a little down financially recently and did not get a chance to purchase the 4-day badge, and he was going to purchase it this upcoming week. Is buying each individual day pass the only way for him to attend the con now?

He can volunteer at the ENnie booth for 3 shifts and they will provide a badge - see EN World for details.
Do you know how to go about contacting them? And how long is a 'shift'?

Posted by marimaccadmin trace_sl

trace_sl wrote:
You know, I really do hope the cap is due to building code, I would hate to think it was because they did not buy enough 4-day badges :)

You know, I keep seeing this weird rumor pop up that we didn't buy enough badge blanks.  I'm not going to answer any questions about numbers, or get into specifics, but I want to make it absolutely clear that we have plenty of badge blanks, that is not the issue.  That's possibly the silliest rumor I've seen floating around.  We've got more than enough.  We could easily order more in a very short period of time if that was the issue.  But it's not.  And I know you're joking but please feel free to dispel this rumor when you see people posting it.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Posted by mudman2001 bith

bithlord wrote:
So, who's up for that Thursday rush to the dealer hall?  Gonna be waaaaaay too crowded.

Hell nope, I have an 11am event.

Posted by rutherfordr marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:I'm not going to answer any questions about numbers, or get into specifics

Why not? (Asking honestly, not trying to be a jerk.)

What's wrong with saying, "We have to limit attendance to 75,000 (or whatever) due to the fire code"?

Posted by boc_mage mudman2001

mudman2001 wrote:
bithlord wrote:
So, who's up for that Thursday rush to the dealer hall?  Gonna be waaaaaay too crowded.
Hell nope, I have an 11am event.

11am? Decided to sleep in? I'm due on shift by 8:30am Thurs morn, dungeon's don't run themselves.

-To those who waited tough luck, Gencon posted notice and reminders that this was coming. If you're local and was on the fence i can understand. To anyone who has to schedule hotel and flight/drive in then what was your issue waiting? Not like we didn't have months to get the badge or plan it out. In the grand scheme of things a gencon badge is a small portion of the total cost of con for what i'd bet be majority of us.  

Posted by rvb24

Yeah so this actually hurts a lot of people who don't know if they can go until the week of. So I can either spend $270 before tax for 4 days of badges instead of I'm assuming around $120 for a 4 day, or not go for the first time since 2007.... this is the most infuriating choice I'm going to have to make this year... also don't know If I should work on cosplays now since I enter the contest about every year, but looks like I wont be able to wear them. 

Posted by sithina rutherfordr

rutherfordr wrote:
marimaccadmin wrote:I'm not going to answer any questions about numbers, or get into specifics

Why not? (Asking honestly, not trying to be a jerk.)What's wrong with saying, "We have to limit attendance to 75,000 (or whatever) due to the fire code"?

I can't recall them ever posting numbers before the event. Usually they'll post Unique and Overall numbers about a week after the convention. Given the various badges selling out or on their way to selling out, they might give more detailed information on the max capacity for the convention. Or they might not. The max capacity information embargo could be a contractual thing between Gen Con and ICCLoS.

Posted by rbree trace_sl

trace_sl wrote:
shavenskaven wrote:

Laws, fire marshal and safety inspectors may disagree with than.  :)  It is like gaming, 3' X 3' square, so that 90k for dealer hall becomes 55k.  Then you have the second floor and weight limits, you have number of exits per people. We know the largest convention has been 70,000 for the American Rife Association, so, I lean to 75,000. 

The last Star Wars Celebration in Indy sold out and attenedence was announced at 75K   That was before the ICC expansion, so maybe a few thousand above that.

Posted by elvinlord gulfcoasttiger

gulfcoasttiger wrote:
rhone1 wrote:

Maybe because it's never sold out before? 1 and a half months prior to the event... Well, count me as the first.  Flew from China with my girlfriend to go to our first GenCon.  Terrible news.
hurry up and buy one days passes.  It will cost more but you could still go

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
2 4 5
2 4 5