Congrats on the "Sell Out"
Posted by mhayward1978

Can anyone think of a reason why Gen Con is "sold out" of 4 day badges while individual badges for each day are still available?

Surely they are sold out only because attandance is capped?

And just as surely a 4 day badge would indicate attendance on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday?

But one can still add to the attendance of any day by buying a one day badge?

Not sure how that makes sense?

Posted by zaphod

It costs $270 to attend now for 4 days, and since the con is already close to full they are trying to get as much money as possible.

Posted by stiehle

My guess would be that GenCon prints these badges ahead of time, and they allot a certain amount as 4-day badges and another amount as 1-day badges.  This year they ran out of the 4-day badges first, as they were the hot item (and I bet that they usually wind up selling more of those than the 1-day ones every year).

Posted by glory stiehle

stiehle wrote:
My guess would be that GenCon prints these badges ahead of time, and they allot a certain amount as 4-day badges and another amount as 1-day badges.  This year they ran out of the 4-day badges first, as they were the hot item (and I bet that they usually wind up selling more of those than the 1-day ones every year).

Marimac has stated, definitively, that this is not the case. Why do people keep repeating this? It would take no time at all to get more badges. OMG. ​

Posted by squirecam mhayward1978

mhayward1978 wrote:
Can anyone think of a reason why Gen Con is "sold out" of 4 day badges while individual badges for each day are still available?
Surely they are sold out only because attandance is capped?
And just as surely a 4 day badge would indicate attendance on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday?
But one can still add to the attendance of any day by buying a one day badge?
Not sure how that makes sense?

Imagine this....

You have a 100,000 person limit. This is the MAX number of attendees that you can have at the convention at one time. You also know that 80% of your attendees purchase 4 day badges and 20% only come for one day (but different days).

So, you set a limit of 80,000 4 day badges and 80,000 single day badges (20,000 each day). 

Pretty easy to see how it sells out. They have to have badges available for both sets of attendees. They cant just sell 100k 4 day badges and tell the single day attendees "sorry we dont want your business".

Gencon did not do anything wrong on this one.

Posted by roganca glory

glory wrote:
stiehle wrote:

Marimac has stated, definitively, that this is not the case. Why do people keep repeating this? It would take no time at all to get more badges. OMG. ​
Agreed, this supposition is hilarious. It's like arguing they are capping attendance because they ran out of lanyards. And you can't have badges without lanyards, right? Makes. Perfect. Sense.

Posted by divachelle

I think that they allotted a certain amount of 4-day badges and sold out of those. What's left is the Sunday Family deal and the individual day badges.

Of course they could get/make more if they wanted, but they are limited by their plan and the venue's capacity. It's a planned capacity issue, not a supplies issue.

Posted by stiehle roganca

roganca wrote:
glory wrote:
stiehle wrote:

Agreed, this supposition is hilarious. It's like arguing they are capping attendance because they ran out of lanyards. And you can't have badges without lanyards, right? Makes. Perfect. Sense.

Err... yes, I was more speaking to the allotment issue than the actual act of printing of the badges.  No need to jump down my throat there...

Posted by elvinlord

One day passes are popular.  If they take out single day passes people who always get one day would be upset, so you trade one group of upset for another.

Gencon wants people to buy 4 day badges, from hotel booking to the price discount its clear they want people to buy 4 day.  If there was a way to make everyone happy I am sure they would.  

Considering they are warning single day badges are in short supply there probably aren't many of those left. 

Posted by janeritt

Yeah, allotting different caps for 4-day and single day feels very reasonable considering the scope of planning they've had to do. I don't suspect any ~sinister motivations~ at play here.

Posted by mikeboozer divachelle

divachelle wrote:
I think that they allotted a certain amount of 4-day badges and sold out of those. What's left is the Sunday Family deal and the individual day badges.
Of course they could get/make more if they wanted, but they are limited by their plan and the venue's capacity. It's a planned capacity issue, not a supplies issue.

Ding! Ding! 

Have plenty of badge stock.
Have sell out numbers for all badges. 4-day limits were reached first.

If you still want to go you will need to buy individual day badges while they last...

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by elvinlord

I am guessing the single days aren't evenly sold out either.  Makes it kind hard to make four day badges If only three days are avaiable.

And from a business stand point if your going to sell out anyway why do all the extra juggling 

Posted by mhayward1978 elvinlord

elvinlord wrote:
I am guessing the single days aren't evenly sold out either.  Makes it kind hard to make four day badges If only three days are avaiable.
 And from a business stand point if your going to sell out anyway why do all the extra juggling 

If there's one thing we know for certain, it's that all four days are available, as evidenced by 1 day badges being on sale for all 4 days.

Posted by roganca stiehle

stiehle wrote:
roganca wrote:
glory wrote:
stiehle wrote:

Err... yes, I was more speaking to the allotment issue than the actual act of printing of the badges.  No need to jump down my throat there...
I didn't appreciate the distinction you were making. My bad. (The "can't-get-cardboard-badges-back-from-the-printer-in-time" theory is going around, like a bad case of con crud.)

Posted by elvinlord

I would bet by the end of July you will see Fri and Sat sell out.  Time will tell

Posted by divachelle mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
divachelle wrote:

Ding! Ding! Have plenty of badge stock.
If you still want to go you will need to buy individual day badges while they last...
Mike Boozer
Gen Con LLC
BOOM!

Thanks for clearing that up, Mike.

Posted by vohdre mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:Ding! Ding!Have plenty of badge stock.
Mike Boozer
Gen Con LLC

But what was the limit for 4-Days?  I may have a pool going...

Posted by burlybc vohdre

vohdre wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:Ding! Ding!Have plenty of badge stock.
Mike Boozer
Gen Con LLC

But what was the limit for 4-Days?  I may have a pool going...

You're not the only one, there may be lots of money riding on this.  Money that could easily be spent on Gencon merchandise if we were to get an answer before Aug 16

Posted by gharris

The part that concerns me is that we are already going to be massively overcrowded based on four day badges alone, yet Saturday badges are still being sold. I am so glad that I won't be anywhere near that exhibit hall on Saturday because it is going to get ugly...

Posted by vohdre gharris

gharris wrote:
The part that concerns me is that we are already going to be massively overcrowded based on four day badges alone, yet Saturday badges are still being sold. I am so glad that I won't be anywhere near that exhibit hall on Saturday because it is going to get ugly...

Ditto here.  You can find me boardgaming over at the JW all day.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.