Ten dollars to mail a badge, really?
2 4 5 6
2 4 5 6
Posted by buffythecatslayer

This is a safe space, we don’t judge.

Posted by armadilloal nlgplayerone

nlgplayerone wrote:
But it is bolstering to know it's been like that for years now. Thanks for that info.

Checking my receipts, shipping was $3 in 2012 and $10 in 2014 (I didn't go in 2013), so it changed in either 2013 or 2014.

Posted by aldctjoc

Remember, they used to have a choice of tracked, USPS Priority Mail - which I believe was always $10 - and regular, untracked US mail, which was cheaper but which would cost you badly if the post office lost it, since you'd have to buy a new badge. Now they only have the Priority Mail option. And that covers you in case of non-delivery.

Posted by rayken

It's 30-40 minutes in the will call line on Wednesday afternoon. It's not understaffed at all. It flows incredibly well for the size of the event and the space they are afforded to work with.

Posted by remnant nlgplayerone

nlgplayerone wrote:
Come on GenCon. The will call line is WOEFULLY understaffed so it's either wait hours in line or pay $10 for shipping? Next year I guess it will be $20-30? Then $50? Come on.

Never really saw a problem with it, if people don't want to pay they go to will call (no chance of forgetting your badge/tickets/lanyard advertisement that they stuff in the package that's delivered to you at home.  For 60k people lets say just 10% get it shipped, how quickly can someone or multiple somones drop all those badges and event tickets into an envelope smack a label on it and place them someplace to get shipped out (correctly) for 6k people with a smile on their face.  

Posted by ryric

With the switch to electronic ticketing, I anticipate Will Call will go even faster as they likely won't have the big boxes of envelopes to search through any more. They may not pre-print any Will Call badges at all. Origins has a system where you can just scan your confirmation email or type in your code and it prints on the spot.

Posted by braewe

I was stationed in England and at first, loved loved that it was a flat fee. computer game? 35 pounds. How much? 35 pounds. Done and done. AAaaaannnnd then I stayed there awhile and discovered that that price had all the same things added in and then some. So the computer game was really probably 28 pounds, and everything else was added in and I was just ignorant of how MUCH was actually added on. Discovered that when I got a part time job. Something we were charging almost 1.5 for actually was .78. 

So I guess, yes, it is a badge plus tax plus shipping but at least you KNOW what each thing is and can figure out why it costs what it costs. The $10 is also signature-required now, which it didn't used to be, so if it's lost in the mail or delivered incorrectly, you're covered. Used to be, you had to rebuy everything. Now /that/ was terrible.

Posted by rhone1

This is going to be one of those posts that never dies.  

Posted by traveller

This will die with the housing portal opens.  It may get resurrected after a while but it will die again when the ticket portal opens.  So many new things to whine about...

Posted by raidkillsbugsded rhone1

rhone1 wrote:

Despite hacking them to pieces, we always forget to finish these things off  with fire or acid damage.

Posted by nlgplayerone raidkillsbugsded

raidkillsbugsded wrote:
rhone1 wrote:

Despite hacking them to pieces, we always forget to finish these things off  with fire or acid damage.

But it was so cute when it was little!

Posted by brooks nlgplayerone

nlgplayerone wrote:
raidkillsbugsded wrote:
rhone1 wrote:

But it was so cute when it was little!

I blame whoever fed it after midnight. 

Posted by mikeboozer

When we start talking about a thread being too long...

Just some clarification and observations here.

We do flat rate priority mail service from USPS (Only within the US) with signature required to make sure you get it and we know that you get it.

We also strongly encourage you to use this service so that you don't need to stand in a line for Will Call and waste your valuable Gen Con minutes on a line no matter how long or short it might be. Unless of course waiting in a line is a thing for you. Then we encourage you to do that!

That said, we staff Will Call 24 hours a day beginning on the Wednesday of the convention. If you do use Will Call we encourage you to come in at off hours. 10 pm - 7 am when there is little or no line.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager (Will Call, Fulfillment, and Badge Reg lackey)
Gen Con  LLC

Posted by jpederso

In the past, I've come into Indy on Wednesday evening between 7 and 11.  Last year was the first time I waited in line for more than 30 minutes.  Like waiting in line for the consignment store, it's a good time to talk to other attendees.  Last year the 2 gentlemen in front of us were from the UK and the group of 3 behind us were from Chicago.  Everybody's in a great mood and it's good to talk to other gamers.  I also do will call because there are always events I pick up after the shipping deadline.

Posted by technoir hendelbolaf

hendelbolaf wrote:
$10 is SOOOOO cheap compared to standing in that horrible Will Call line...
It also includes sending your event tickets, so it is not at all outrageous to me.

IDK 20mins of my time vs $10. I'm not a white collar worker so I don't make over 30 bucks an hr. So I feel like my 20 min waits at Will Call for 10$ when I would be doing nothing anyways are alright 

Posted by ascantla

Now we've covered the "shipping too much $" thread this year. What is the next one that comes up? Is it housing next? or moving cities? or was strollers in the dealer hall supposed to be next? I can't keep track of the order these always come in.

Posted by technoir ascantla

ascantla wrote:
Now we've covered the "shipping too much $" thread this year. What is the next one that comes up? Is it housing next? or moving cities? or was strollers in the dealer hall supposed to be next? I can't keep track of the order these always come in.
Housing/Outgrown Gen Con
Backpacks 
Attendees without badges 
Cosplayers 

I think it's somewhat in that order 

Posted by mbeauparland ascantla

ascantla wrote:
I think it's "Gen Con is a GAMING convention not a Cosplay convention..." ;-)

Posted by traveller technoir

irontk wrote:
ascantla wrote:
Housing/Outgrown Gen Con
Backpacks 
Attendees without badges 
Cosplayers I think it's somewhat in that order 

Housing starts 1 min after the hotel lottery.  Outgrown and backpacks are palette cleansers until wish list processing starts.  Attendees without badges (ghosting) doesn't start until we get close to sellout. 

Posted by kd8esu traveller

traveller wrote:
irontk wrote:
ascantla wrote:
Housing/Outgrown Gen Con
Backpacks 
Attendees without badges 
Cosplayers I think it's somewhat in that order 
Housing starts 1 min after the hotel lottery.  Outgrown and backpacks are palette cleansers until wish list processing starts.  Attendees without badges (ghosting) doesn't start until we get close to sellout. 

To add, Cosplay =/= Gen Con is usually during slow periods, so somewhere in Mid-April.

Also, we need a giant Pyramid post of people quoting and replying to others somewhere along the way.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
2 4 5 6
2 4 5 6