Ten dollars to mail a badge, really?
1 3 5 6
1 3 5 6
Posted by traveller kd8esu

kd8esu wrote:
traveller wrote:
irontk wrote:
ascantla wrote:
Now we've covered the "shipping too much $" thread this year. What is the next one that comes up? Is it housing next? or moving cities? or was strollers in the dealer hall supposed to be next? I can't keep track of the order these always come in.
Housing/Outgrown Gen Con
Backpacks 
Attendees without badges 
Cosplayers I think it's somewhat in that order 
Housing starts 1 min after the hotel lottery.  Outgrown and backpacks are palette cleansers until wish list processing starts.  Attendees without badges (ghosting) doesn't start until we get close to sellout. 
To add, Cosplay =/= Gen Con is usually during slow periods, so somewhere in Mid-April.Also, we need a giant Pyramid post of people quoting and replying to others somewhere along the way.
True!  Maybe a one word story.......:evil grin:

Posted by del_grande technoir

irontk wrote:
ascantla wrote:
Now we've covered the "shipping too much $" thread this year. What is the next one that comes up? Is it housing next? or moving cities? or was strollers in the dealer hall supposed to be next? I can't keep track of the order these always come in.
Housing/Outgrown Gen Con
Backpacks 
Attendees without badges 

Don't forget, "Why does it cost so much to refund a badge?" (and pretty much invariably, they're getting a refund because they didn't get a downtown room in the lottery)

And remember, Cosplay Is Not Consent, and that includes taking photos (although I assume that being in the costume parade implies consent for videos)

Posted by noone del_grande

del_grande wrote:
irontk wrote:
ascantla wrote:
Housing/Outgrown Gen Con
Backpacks 
Attendees without badges 
Don't forget, "Why does it cost so much to refund a badge?" (and pretty much invariably, they're getting a refund because they didn't get a downtown room in the lottery)And remember, Cosplay Is Not Consent, and that includes taking photos (although I assume that being in the costume parade implies consent for videos)
actually if you would read the terms of service by buying a badge you have given consent to have your picture taken while at the con it's under exploitation of name and likeness

Posted by donaldbain noone

"I hereby agree that Gen Con may photograph and/or record my likeness and/or voice and my participation in the Convention".  That doesn't apply to attendees.

Posted by noone donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
"I hereby agree that Gen Con may photograph and/or record my likeness and/or voice and my participation in the Convention".  That doesn't apply to attendees.
sorry but you're wrong. As an attendee I can have my picture taken without permission at any time I'm at the con playing games waiting in line in the dealers hall. At any time.  If you would reread the terms of service it says asignees as in anyone gencon gives permission to take photographs ie press, gencon staff and attendees

Here is more

• Attendees may not block aisles or walkways, impede movement, or disrupt the convention for photo-taking or recording purposes.

Gen Con's Ethics, Conduct, and No Harassment policy extends to photos, recordings, and act of recording taken by attendees at Gen Con. Attendees acknowledge that their photos and recordings must comply with Gen Con's Ethics, Conduct, and No Harassment policy, and that a failure to do so may result in expulsion without refund from the convention. This policy is enforced

No where does it say you must ask for permission and the part where it says co.ply with federal laws it is illegal to say some people can be photographed without permission and others you must have permission 

Posted by noone

Ps. Look and read the back of your badge. Around the 3rd paragraph

Posted by mp3chaos captain 10beers

captain 10beers wrote:
If your worried about $10.00 at GenCon, you should just stay home.  
THIS

Posted by raidkillsbugsded noone

miked wrote:actually if you would read the terms of service by buying a badge you have given consent to have your picture taken while at the con it's under exploitation of name and likeness

And “in all media now and hereafter known...in perpetuity.”   Gen Con has rights to use that picture of you in the background shoving a taco into your face FOREVER...

It would be exponentially better, though, if they could just word it this way:   “...Ad infinitum for cassettes, video tapes, bubble chips, and all other methods of recording, known and unknown.  Sign here.  Use my back...”  

Posted by noone

Years ago it was stated in plain English but I guess someone thought they had to have lawyers rewrite it

Posted by ryric

Years ago my then-girlfriend used to do cosplays and we would walk around the convention center and attendees would take her picture. Most people would ask, some wouldn't, but only the square root of the number of pictures taken would say anything other than asking. For example, if 49 people took pictures, only 7 would actually compliment the costume or say anything at all besides "can I have a picture." I tracked this over multiple days and years and the square-root formula was a surprisingly good fit. 

There's probably a sociology paper in there somewhere for an enterprising researcher. 

Posted by raidkillsbugsded

I appreciate that we have polymorphed a thread on the cost of badge shipping into a thread regarding photo consent and GC terms and conditions 

Posted by andrewj.rager raidkillsbugsded

raidkillsbugsded wrote:
I appreciate that we have polymorphed a thread on the cost of badge shipping into a thread regarding photo consent and GC terms and conditions 
Isn't that a Gen Con forums tradition? Derail a thread and devolve it down into a discussion at best, and an argument at worst. lol

Posted by technoir del_grande

del_grande wrote:
irontk wrote:
ascantla wrote:
Housing/Outgrown Gen Con
Backpacks 
Attendees without badges 
Don't forget, "Why does it cost so much to refund a badge?" (and pretty much invariably, they're getting a refund because they didn't get a downtown room in the lottery)And remember, Cosplay Is Not Consent, and that includes taking photos (although I assume that being in the costume parade implies consent for videos)
Oh yes... the good old "Cosplay is not consent" 

I prefer "Keep your hands to yourself weirdo" 

It's much less 'nice'. 

Posted by mikeboozer

Back on target please.

Posted by traveller

Posted by raidkillsbugsded

I personally am fine with paying 10 bucks for shipping.  It’s not like it’s some secret surcharge...you know up front the cost and what you’re getting for it.  Either pay it and get your stuff mailed or don’t and wait in line for it.  I mean, it’s Gen Con.  I’ve paid more than that shipping cost to pretend my toy spaceships are shooting other toy spaceships for an hour and a half.  You’re going to spend money on things you don’t necessarily need that you know you’re paying more than they’re worth to do or get...

Posted by hendelbolaf technoir

irontk wrote:
hendelbolaf wrote:
$10 is SOOOOO cheap compared to standing in that horrible Will Call line...
It also includes sending your event tickets, so it is not at all outrageous to me.

IDK 20mins of my time vs $10. I'm not a white collar worker so I don't make over 30 bucks an hr. So I feel like my 20 min waits at Will Call for 10$ when I would be doing nothing anyways are alright 
Nothing to do with white collar or blue collar. I personally never saw the line for will call where it looked like it was only 20 minutes or less until around Friday the last few years.

In fact either last year or the year before I saw it go down the length of the convention center out the door on the west end by Victory Field and down the sidewalk along Missouri Street until it reached almost to Lucas Oil Stadium. That was long...

Anyway, yes even 20 minutes of my time when I have games starting at 8:00 AM on Thursday and running straight through until around 2:00 PM on Sunday is too long and worth $10.00, but that is me and I realize that others may disagree.

Posted by buffythecatslayer

As the WoW Goblins say, "Time is Money, friend!"

It's up to each person how much of their time they want to give up to save the $10.  If you can get there late Wed, you will probably not spend much time in line.  Other times, especially Thurs morning, expect to spend 1-2 hours.  After that, it calms down a bit, but I remember Sunday morning last year also was ridiculous, with all the Sunday-only people picking up their stuff.

Posted by crusader77

I have never, even at the worst of times, had to wait an hour for my badge at will call. They are usually VERY quick and cutting through those lines.

Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent

The cost isn't their fault.  The shipping companies set the prices.  I mean, a flat rate USPS priority mail envelope costs $7.

Will Call line is hardly understaffed.  At peak times they have pretty much the maximum number of humans they can fit into that amount of space.  They could increase this, but to what purpose?  Outside of a pretty specific window, the demand is too small to justify that.

I think it's really weird that after paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars for badges, event tickets, travel, lodging, and food, it's a $10 shipping charge that breaks you.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 5 6
1 3 5 6