Can my daughter play a guitar as part of her cosplay?
Posted by genghis_sean

My thirteen-year-old daughter got a guitar for Xmas and has started taking lessons.  She told her teacher on day one that she wanted to learn The Last of Us theme song so she could cosplay as Ellie at this year's convention and she could play it within a week.  She's continuing to practice, but it just occurred to me that I don't even know if it's allowed.  Last year, I went as Joel and had a shotgun taken from me despite its plastic tip because I didn't read the rules closely enough beforehand.  Well, I'm trying to do my due diligence this year, but she'll be crushed if she's denied.  Who can I ask about this?

Posted by traveller

You may need to contact [email protected] to get an answer.  Also check Entertainment Acts/Events for some important details that *may* impact her.

Posted by david campbell

There was someone a few years back cosplaying with a guitar, no idea what it was but I would see him here and there.  Had some kind of small amp clipped to his belt. Unless something has changed, I'd assume a guitar is OK.

Posted by kellishaver

I believe I saw a couple of people last year sitting around playing guitars.  I don't really think there's any issue with having and playing a musical instrument on the basis of it being a musical instrument. So long as you aren't busking, or disturbing an event/demo I'm guessing it would probably be fine. 

That said, I'd be concerned about the relative size and fragility of a guitar given the size of the crowd. I definitely wouldn't take it into places like the dealer hall. It's also a pretty awkward/heavy thing to be carrying around for hours at a time. 

So if you have a connected hotel or are parking very close by, I'd say it's probably fine to bring the guitar out in am open space for short periods of time. But it's probably something you wouldn't want to do beyond that.

Never hurts to check with the staff to make sure, though. 

Posted by genghis_sean kellishaver

kellishaver wrote:
I believe I saw a couple of people last year sitting around playing guitars.  I don't really think there's any issue with having and playing a musical instrument on the basis of it being a musical instrument. So long as you aren't busking, or disturbing an event/demo I'm guessing it would probably be fine. 
That said, I'd be concerned about the relative size and fragility of a guitar given the size of the crowd. I definitely wouldn't take it into places like the dealer hall. It's also a pretty awkward/heavy thing to be carrying around for hours at a time. 
So if you have a connected hotel or are parking very close by, I'd say it's probably fine to bring the guitar out in am open space for short periods of time. But it's probably something you wouldn't want to do beyond that.
Never hurts to check with the staff to make sure, though. 

Ugh.  You're right.  I didn't think of that.  I've got an email into Gen Con now.  Thanks for the advice, all.

Posted by qwaserity

And whatever the answer, please look into walking the costume parade on Saturday!!!

Posted by genghis_sean

I did decide to email Gen Con to get a formal response.  Haven't heard back yet, but this was my concern:

Roving EntertainersGen Con does have roving entertainment that is hired to busk the hallways during the convention. There are specific guidelines about who can and does work in this capacity. We have limited to no openings to be involved in this program year over year. Only approved entertainers are given this opportunity to busk. Anyone caught roving during the show without approval from Gen Con will be asked to stop and your badge may be forfeited.

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Busking includes collecting donations for playing.  If your daughter is just playing, but not collecting any money, she should be OK.  But, still, check with the Con, so you all don't get kicked out if someone tosses her a quarter.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.