When does Will Call open?
Posted by dcgragg13

Hey! Been searching but cannot find the days/times that Will Call will open. We are arriving on Tuesday and am hoping to avoid long lines by getting our badges early. 

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Wednesday, around noon.  Stays open 'round the clock until Sunday afternoon.

Posted by dcgragg13 buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
Wednesday, around noon.  Stays open 'round the clock until Sunday afternoon.
Thanks! Will plan accordingly and get our badges as early as possible.

From what I've seen on these forums, Wed night is usually the best time.  During the day Wed it can be busy; avoid like the plague Thur morning.

buffythecatslayer wrote:
From what I've seen on these forums, Wed night is usually the best time.  During the day Wed it can be busy; avoid like the plague Thur morning.
Will definitely avoid Thursday morning. Nice pic of pup :)

Buffy the Cat Slayer in all her glory. :-)

buffythecatslayer wrote:
Buffy the Cat Slayer in all her glory. :-)
Hahaha love it!

Posted by funny-shaped dice buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:

Depends on what you consider "busy" - I normally get into town and get in line to pick up my materials on Wednesday afternoon - around the 3-4PM time.  Last year, it took us about 45 minutes to get through the line - and that's been the longest in 4 years.  The line was constantly moving throughout.  For Gen Con 50, arrived about the same time and we were done in about 20 minutes - and that was with them having to reprint our badges and tickets because they couldn't find them.

Gen Con has Will Call down.

Late Wednesday night - or late on any night - is definitely even faster; Thursday morning is definitely the worst.

Busy, to me, is anything over 15 mins. Time is money, friend!

Posted by dcgragg13

I’m hoping to spend no more than an hour in line for Will Call, so I have a feeling I’ll be good for Wednesday...

Posted by hendelbolaf

Still worth $10 to me to have it sent to me, but different strokes and all...

Posted by dcgragg13 hendelbolaf

hendelbolaf wrote:
Still worth $10 to me to have it sent to me, but different strokes and all...
unfortunately they won’t post internationally...so will call it is for us...

Posted by funny-shaped dice

You have to sign for delivery when you choose shipping, don't you?

Posted by hendelbolaf funny-shaped dice

funny-shaped dice wrote:
I have never had to sign for it. It may not be automatic, maybe there is a choice to make on shipping options for your carrier.

Posted by mikeboozer hendelbolaf

hendelbolaf wrote:
funny-shaped dice wrote:
I have never had to sign for it. It may not be automatic, maybe there is a choice to make on shipping options for your carrier.

There is not a choice all shipping requires someone to sign for it. We only ship to US addresses since it's via USPS.

Posted by bushmaster buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:Buffy the Cat Slayer in all her glory. :-)
Looks like my Sadie!
Time in the will call does go fast as you chat with those around you and watch all the cool characters walking around.

Posted by funny-shaped dice

I can empathize with those who are concerned about time in Will Call.

To be fair, though, for apple-to-apples time comparisons between Will Call and Shipping, I think we have to take into account the effort to either arrange someone to sign for the package and that person's time or the time spent going to the post office to sign for the package yourself or the time you spend on the day of delivery waiting to sign for that package.  It still may work out that you're ahead; but that is unlikely to be true for everyone.  In the end, for most people, its just a matter of whether you are investing the wait time on one date or another.

Shipping is an awesome option and even though I don't use it, I'm glad it is available (it keeps the Will Call line shorter :P ).  But for those considering Will Call - other than Thursday or Saturday morning before 8AM games start *** - don't let the time in line be the only factor you consider. The Gen Con staff is *awesome*, the Will Call line moves really smoothly and you (or someone you trust) are going to spend the time waiting one way or another: in line at Gen Con with lots of other excited gamers or at your home waiting to sign, or driving to the post office and back (to sign).  There will, of course, be those for whom the USPS delivery lines up for when they are already available - but that's not going to be everyone.

Last plug to assuage concerns about lines at Will Call - in addition to potentially meeting some great people in line and saving $10, Will Call reduces the stress of worrying about when your package is going to be delivered to your home, the stress of fearing you might forget it or lose it before you get to Gen Con, and the cost to replace it if you lose or forget it. 

Have a great Gen Con, everyone! Will Callers or Shippers! Pick what works best for your situation.

*** Seriously, if you're picking up on Thursday or Saturday morning - either do it at 4AM or some other odd hour or pay the shipping!  Those times are nuts!

Posted by trace_sl

Will Call is like the tides, it ebbs and flows based on time.  It is busy at peak times starting at Noon Wednesday as it opens and when people check-in to their hotels 3 to 5PM and then disappear around 9PM Wednesday night but that secret is out and sometimes it is later.  :) 

I like my badges delivered but then you always hear stories about that too.    

Posted by kellishaver

I get my badges mailed, but last year I had some last minute event tickets that I had to pick up at will call. We got there about 5pm on Wednesday and the wait was maybe 30-45 minutes. By Wednesday night, we were seeing reports of the line being super long.... I'm glad we picked our tickets up when we did.

That said, while I obviously prefer not having to wait in line, I have to say it was far and away the most efficient line I've ever been in, plus it was a good chance to socialize with people in line around me. I'm normally the world's biggest introvert, but I met a few people waiting in will call that I saw off and on throughout the con. It was fun to talk to them in the halls and compare notes about what we'd all been doing and what our con highlights had been. 

You're there to game and have fun. Not a lot of stuff is going on Wednesday, so if you do get stuck in a long line, make the best of it and use the time to talk about the fun things we're all there to do with other like-minded people.

Posted by trace_sl kellishaver

kellishaver wrote: Not a lot of stuff is going on Wednesday

We are not going to the same Gen Con as there is a lot going on Wednesday for me.  :) 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.