What is Day 0?
Posted by onibaku06

Hi folks. I was wondering what Day 0 is for Gen Con?

Do you need an extra pass for it?

Thanks. 

Posted by buffythecatslayer

I guess you mean Trade Day on Wednesday, and yes, it costs an extra $90. Also, you have to be either an educator or in the gaming business to attend. There are a bunch of seminars on gaming from either an educational or business point-of-view.

Posted by nscott

There is also Wednesday gaming that occurs in Union Station that is separate from Trade Day. You sign up for these events during registration but tickets are free for all the Wednesday games. If you are doing will call pick up, there isn’t a problem if you go to a game before you’ve picked up your packet - if the lines are long.

Posted by roundtop

Day 0 is like pre-drinking before going to the big event.  You get into your hotel, meet interesting people, pickup your badge (if at will-call), game a bunch, and possibly attend something like The Stink. Then you hit the bars, crash out, and prepare for the start.

Trade day also exists, but no dealers hall, and it is only for educators and companies.

Posted by hendelbolaf

I sign up for free tickets for Wednesday events at the Union Station and I will run some games, too.

Posted by trace_sl

Simple answer is Wednesday.  Badges are needed for Trade Day as that is industry insiders but for your average gamers, there are a number of free events and gettogethers; such as The Stink. 

In the event book (when it comes out) you will see events tickets for them but cost is free, all the ticket does is make sure you get a spot, get in first and tracks information.  

It gives you something to do Wednesday after you check into your hotel.    

Posted by quarex

It is still a funny thing that Day 0 has official events, haha.  I have no doubt it is extra-confusing for anyone unaccustomed to the terminology that has existed since before anything "actually" happened before Thursday.

Posted by mvotruba trace_sl

trace_sl wrote:
Simple answer is Wednesday.  Badges are needed for Trade Day as that is industry insiders but for your average gamers, there are a number of free events and gettogethers; such as The Stink. 
In the event book (when it comes out) you will see events tickets for them but cost is free, all the ticket does is make sure you get a spot, get in first and tracks information.  
It gives you something to do Wednesday after you check into your hotel.    
+1.  Trace put it well.  While I likely need to miss 0 slot events this year, it is some of my favorite Gen Con gaming.  Games we play then to be a bit more casual and my Gen Con gaming group & I use the opportunity to catch up and relax before the big event.  It's a great time to connect with fellow gamers before the rush of Gen Con pulls everyone in different directions.

If you can work it into your travel schedule to arrive and enjoy Wednesday, I would encourage you to do so.  When possible, I try to arrive in Indy on Tuesday to take full advantage of "0 slot" events.

Cheers, 

Posted by cali159 onibaku06

onibaku06 wrote:
Hi folks. I was wondering what Day 0 is for Gen Con?
Do you need an extra pass for it?
Thanks. 
could be Wednesday

Posted by nascragman

So is there room for Open Gaming in Union Station on Wednesday?

Posted by nscott nascragman

nascragman wrote:
So is there room for Open Gaming in Union Station on Wednesday?
Just looking at the Wednesday events I'd guess there will be. The Union Station HQ is staffed on Wednesday so Just ask them about an available table- just like you would in the gaming hall during the rest of the convention.

Just curious about the scheduled events in Union Station on Wednesday.  Many of them begin at or before noon.  If you are getting your packets from will-call, it seems like you can't get tickets for those events?

Posted by nscott buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
Just curious about the scheduled events in Union Station on Wednesday.  Many of them begin at or before noon.  If you are getting your packets from will-call, it seems like you can't get tickets for those events?

Since all the tickets are free, it doesn't really matter. As the GM you just put people down as "comp" who don't have tickets yet or are walk-ups. Since everything is free you don't take generics for walk-ups.

Posted by qwaserity

Day 0 is where you pick up your GM badges and tickets then go to Dave & Busters on the north side of Indy for half priced video game day. You can also wander the halls and show the new attendees where they can find their events on Thursday so they don't get lost running for events at the last minute.

@nscott That's what I figured.  I'll be roaming Union Station on Wednesday looking for things to do, since I didn't schedule anything in advance, not knowing exactly what time I'll get there.

Posted by roderick

Yep, the Station will be staffed from ~1 PM on Wednesday (morning is for set-up and orientation for my staff, then we have lunch, and then to work!)

We'll know where there will be tables available for open gaming (if you don't check with us, then don't be surprised if we tell you to move half-way through your game). 

Roderick Robertson
Union StationMaster

Posted by cerealkiller195

day 0 for me is tuesday afternoon when i get in, gives me time to get comfortable and enjoy a full day before the madness begins... good luck folks!

Posted by zhycalui

Day 0 for me is to have lunch with my significant other at Mikados before we go pick up our badges.  He then does a ton of the free gaming events for Wednesday and I head back home to do final checks of my bag as well as make sure I've withdrawn cash and have my cosplay stuff ready or my outfits ready for each day ( I may have a slight planning problem, lol )

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.