Dress Code ?
Posted by bigtimeadl traveller

traveller wrote:

• Clean underwear (every day and bring more than one for each day, you never know).
  • ICC and hotels are open to the public, so there is that.
  • Probably want to avoid anything that would not be appropriate for your preferred house of worship, or for those that do not worship, avoid anything that would get you kicked off southwest airlines.
  • Deodorant, it's not optional.   
  • Avoid perfume, cologne, body spray.  
  • Con Funk is a real thing, plan to change shirts at least twice a day.  This means into an actual laundered shirt, not one that was frebreezed.
  • parts of the ICC are COLD bring something lightweight you can put on in those cases.
  • Never noticed one day being Hawaiian shirt day.

points 3, 6, and 9 very solid advice

Posted by mhayward1978 danielscooby

danielscooby wrote:
I look over the event rules and don´t find a dress code
Also, i think it will be good sense wear anything that is not illegal, right?
I read about using comfortable shoes and cothes.
That said, there is any other tips or rules i should attend?
Someone tell me that saturday is the haway shirt day (not that i use something like that)
Any other tip about that part? 

You've gotten a lot of practical, glib, and funny advice.

It is worth noting though, that Gen Con does actually have a dress code (or, at least policies that bear on dress and accessories):

Costumes and Weapons

Weapons and items that appear to be weapons are not allowed at Gen Con. Self defense, recreational and utility items such as knifes, tazers, pepper spray, BB guns, cap guns, air-soft weapons, paintball guns, water guns, martial arts weaponry, including wooden practice weapons, etc., are not welcome, even if it is lawful to own and carry them in other public places. Off-duty security, law enforcement and military personnel are not allowed to bring their weapons to Gen Con. Items resembling futuristic weapons, fantasy weapons, and non-projectile boffer weapons may be allowed provided they are not handled in a careless, threatening, or destructive manner against persons or property.

Questionable items can be brought to the Information Desk in the convention center during operating hours to be checked for compliance with this policy. Some events may provide exceptions to this policy under strict circumstances defined by that event. Items purchased in the Exhibit Hall which violate this policy must be wrapped and immediately removed from the convention premises.

20th and 21st century uniforms may not be worn as costumes. These include any uniform that can be construed as a military uniform from any country or a uniform worn in an official capacity, such as security guard, police officer, deputy, fire marshal, paramedic, etc. Active duty military personnel are permitted to wear their government-issued uniforms.
Gen Con Event Staff or security personnel may inspect any item or costume at any time during the convention. Failure to comply with these policies and/or the instructions of Gen Con Event Staff or security personnel may result in immediate removal from the convention without refund.

If you have any questions about these policies, please contact [email protected] before the convention or visit the Information Desk in the convention center during operating hours.

https://www.gencon.com/attend/policies

Posted by kosmosis

Banana hammocks….in or out for 2019?

Posted by buffythecatslayer kosmosis

kosmosis wrote:
Banana hammocks….in or out for 2019?

i think I expressed the group consensus on that topic:
Let's not go too far there.. banana hammocks are casual, but none of us need to see that at the con. :-) 

Posted by indyfoodguy

Just please shower and put on clean clothes.

And no fedoras.

Or jean shorts not properly cut from jeans.

Or open-toed shoes.

And for the love of god stop using hair gel.

Posted by urielblue buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
What about flip flop ?I keep thinink if i would get my feet hurt

Have you previously walked and stood around for 10-12 hours for 4 days in flip flops?  If you haven't, don't make Gen Con your trial run.  Good walking shoes are the way to go.

Also, if (Like me) you are buying new shoes to wear at the Con, start breaking them in now...

Posted by raidkillsbugsded indyfoodguy

indyfoodguy wrote:
And no fedoras.
Or open-toed shoes.

I like that I can’t actually determine whether you are being facetious or serious.  

Posted by stahlnee

Keep in mind the map is upside down. North is heading South.

Posted by armadilloal

As Weird Al once said..."Everything you know is wrong.  Black is white, up is down, and short is long."

Posted by tinabear81 branstark

branstark wrote:
You will do a TON of walking.
Wearing flip flops for four days and walking for miles really, really hurts.  Bring tennis shoes.
Also, I've found it's really useful to bring some kind of cream or powder to put on the inside of my legs.  I'm not fat, but I still wear that area raw from all the walking at GenCon.  It helps a LOT.
Monistat, yes that Monistat, makes a product called Anti-Chafing Powder Gel. This stuff is amazing. It’s not at Walmart or Target, but it’s at Costco and Amazon. I wore it under a dress with no tights in 100 degree heat for 6 hours. Reapplied in the bathroom out of fear of friction burns  around hour 4, but didn’t really need to. I had no chafing for the first time in years. I am fat and chub rub rash is a thing that I now avoid. Seriously, recommend getting some. 

Posted by aaronmlopez tinabear81

tinabear81 wrote:
branstark wrote:
Wearing flip flops for four days and walking for miles really, really hurts.  Bring tennis shoes.
Also, I've found it's really useful to bring some kind of cream or powder to put on the inside of my legs.  I'm not fat, but I still wear that area raw from all the walking at GenCon.  It helps a LOT.
Monistat, yes that Monistat, makes a product called Anti-Chafing Powder Gel. This stuff is amazing. It’s not at Walmart or Target, but it’s at Costco and Amazon. I wore it under a dress with no tights in 100 degree heat for 6 hours. Reapplied in the bathroom out of fear of friction burns  around hour 4, but didn’t really need to. I had no chafing for the first time in years. I am fat and chub rub rash is a thing that I now avoid. Seriously, recommend getting some. 

There is also stuff called "Glide" that is available on Amazon and local retail stores: Here is the Amazon link

Posted by maijstral2 aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:
tinabear81 wrote:
branstark wrote:

There is also stuff called "Glide" that is available on Amazon and local retail stores: Here is the Amazon link
Heck I just use gold bond and have never had a problem.

Posted by indyfoodguy raidkillsbugsded

raidkillsbugsded wrote:
indyfoodguy wrote:
And no fedoras.
Or open-toed shoes.

I like that I can’t actually determine whether you are being facetious or serious.  

v serious, obv

Posted by mikeptas stryyder

stryyder wrote:
I usually will advise people think of the convention using "warehouse" rules for footwear.  Nothing open-toed or open-heeled. (though, I doubt anyone will need steel-toes)
Not only are sandals/flip flops not as orthapedically sound as a full comfortable shoe, but in high traffic areas it is very likely someone will step on you at some point.  having someone step on the heel of your flip flop is horrible.
I'm not so sure on the steel-toed boots.  Have you seen some of those lead figures?  I mean, personally I have a couple of Warjacks (War Machine Geek here) that could cause a problem.  So, yeah, maybe steel-toed boots if you are around heavy minis.

Posted by dhampire

Some friends and I do intend on doing some CosPlay and the characters are barefoot.
While mandatory footwear is not really a make-or-break issue with the costumes, I would prefer going without.
The lack of a clear 'no shirt/no shoes/no badge' sign is making it rough to get a final call on the decision.

Posted by aaronmlopez dhampire

dhampire wrote:
Some friends and I do intend on doing some CosPlay and the characters are barefoot.
While mandatory footwear is not really a make-or-break issue with the costumes, I would prefer going without.
The lack of a clear 'no shirt/no shoes/no badge' sign is making it rough to get a final call on the decision.

For those times when you are cosplaying a barefoot character, I recommend wearing some type of easily slip on/off sandal or shoe (such as Crocs) where you can easily step out of them when doing photo shoots. They encourage cosplayers not to stop in the middle of hallways for pictures anyway. I would hate for anyone barefoot to step on a dropped d4 or a phone charger (prongs up)...

Posted by ladye indyfoodguy

indyfoodguy wrote:
raidkillsbugsded wrote:
indyfoodguy wrote:
And no fedoras.
Or open-toed shoes.

v serious, obv
Well, there goes my Stranger Things mall cosplay. I had so wanted to wear the jean shorts I saved from the 80's.

Posted by urielblue aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:
Comfortable shoes made for walking on concrete are the best. Your regular day-to-day shoes may not cut it. Trust me... there is a difference.
If you are cosplaying, unless it is a ridiculously looking over-accentuated Anime style weapon, don't bring it. If you have doubts about it - ask here before you bring it to the Con. 
Socks - you may consider changing your socks halfway through the day. Buy a pack of new ones and throw the old ones away if you don't want to carry around stinky used socks all day.
Deodorant and clean clothes - they're not optional. 
Make sure all the naughty bits are covered. Please... ask a friend for help with this. You may look great in the mirror, but at a distance or from another angle, you may leave more exposed than intended or what convention staff considers decent. (I have seen a lot of people with shirts that are long enough when their arms are down but reach for something, or after a bit of walking, the bottom of their gut hangs out. If you don't mind this, then you are ok. But if it is not intended, then ask a friend if what you are wearing covers everything you intended.) 
I'd like to double, and tripled agree with the socks thing. I buy new socks for Gencon, and they are already packed away Also, in the foot care department, some powder, or even wet-wipes / those little fast-food serviettes. Keep the foot funk down, and your feet happy.

Posted by urielblue indyfoodguy

indyfoodguy wrote:
And no fedoras.
Or open-toed shoes.

Fedoras are fine if you are doing an Indiana Jones cosplay...Now, those trilby hats that my fellow nerds call fedoras...Ugh. 

Posted by dhampire aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:
dhampire wrote:

For those times when you are cosplaying a barefoot character, I recommend wearing some type of easily slip on/off sandal or shoe (such as Crocs) where you can easily step out of them when doing photo shoots. They encourage cosplayers not to stop in the middle of hallways for pictures anyway. I would hate for anyone barefoot to step on a dropped d4 or a phone charger (prongs up)...
I'll carry some flip flops. They can be easily stashed in the costume and if somewhere has a footwear policy I should be ok.

Appreciate the advice.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3