Pop-Up Gen Con
(Pinned)
Posted by mikeboozer

Can’t make it to Indianapolis for Gen Con 2019?

Pop-Up Gen Con brings the convention experience to a store near you! We’ll ship exclusive demo copies of new games debuting at Gen Con to game stores across the United States (and a couple in the U.K.), so you can play and pre-order convention-release games before they hit the market!

In the pilot year of the program, activations will occur at over 40 participating stores this August 1-4, and feature video content streamed live from Gen Con 2019 in the Indiana Convention Center.Gather with your local gaming community, try out hot new games before anyone else, and feel the excitement of The Best Four Days in Gaming™ — all from the comfort of your friendly local game store!

Check the list below to find your nearest participating store! Registration (coming soon) is just $5 and includes a commemorative badge and an exclusive Pin Bazaar: Gen Con pin.

Participating Publishers: Breaking Games, Czech Games, Forbidden Games, Greater Than Games, Paizo Inc., Pandasaurus Games, and Renegade Games.

Have questions? You can ask them on this thread!

Check out the FAQ,  By registering for Pop-Up Gen Con, you agree to abide by the Pop-Up Gen Con Terms of Service.

Posted by quarex

Probably my most useful contribution to this thread is that there is no "list below" in your post in which to find the participating stores.

Now my less-useful contribution but still something I have been wondering since the announcement.  First let me say that I think this idea is absolutely rad and I love that you are doing it, this is not meant in any way as disapproval or anything, but: was the idea behind this to counterbalance the event selling out, to further promote the brand in places it is lesser-known, a mixture of both, or some other business concept my non-business brain has never considered?

Believe it or not, I ask for a potentially practical reason: I feel if the main goal is mitigating the pain of Gen Con badges selling out, that surely you should have partner stores in the Indianapolis area?  If the main goal is promoting the brand in areas it is lesser-known, why have pop-up events as little as a 90 minute drive away?  If a mixture of both, then ... uh ... why do people collect pins?  Oh that is totally unrelated, never mind

Posted by bakermouse10133 quarex

... uh ... why do people collect pins?  Oh that is totally unrelated, never mind
reasons I collect pins:
#1 I grew up in the 80's.....pins were cool then, and now they are again!
#2 My inner child wants them. 
#3 They are neat souvenirs that don't take up much space. 

Posted by mikeboozer

This is a pilot program. Thanks for your feedback. The main goal is to have a place to go for people who cannot attend Gen Con. People in Indianapolis can attend. Even if it is for 1 or 2 days. Single day badges sell out much later than 4-day badges...which are very close to selling out!

Program improvements will be made as we collect data from this years pilot program.

Posted by joelf847

Just bought my pop up badge, and my confirmation mentions will call at the ICC kiosks.  I assume it's actually will call at the local game store.  A) can you confirm this, and b) feedback for next year to have a separate email template for pop up badges than for the main event badge purchases.

Posted by mikeboozer joelf847

joelf847 wrote:
Just bought my pop up badge, and my confirmation mentions will call at the ICC kiosks.  I assume it's actually will call at the local game store.  A) can you confirm this, and b) feedback for next year to have a separate email template for pop up badges than for the main event badge purchases.

It is at the local game store that you pick up your badge!

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.