Getting Ready
Posted by whisper721

OK.... SO  right at a month away!!!!!!     Whats everyone's preparations looking like???   When do you start getting ready....   I myself only pack 2 days prior... lol

Posted by brion

I usually pack up on Tuesday night, as our group begins the drive down after work on Wednesday. It's about 5 hours, so saving even 10 minutes from having to throw stuff in the bag is nice.

Posted by elvinlord

Need to get some new luggage and nerd clothes.  Do some research into new board games.  Reinstall spotify so I can listen to the gencon playlist on my 7 hour drive down. 

Try to keep myself busy to make the time go faster

Posted by whisper721 elvinlord

elvinlord wrote:
Need to get some new luggage and nerd clothes.  Do some research into new board games.  Reinstall spotify so I can listen to the gencon playlist on my 7 hour drive down. 
Try to keep myself busy to make the time go faster
IKR.. I have an 8 hr drive from Memphis....    I usually listen to a book on CD on the way... and one on the retrun lol.  Maybe Ill do a GC playlist this year... never thought about that.

Posted by crusader77

Whats on everyones Gen Con playlists? Alestorm and Van Canto are on mine

Posted by elvinlord crusader77

crusader77 wrote:
Whats on everyones Gen Con playlists? Alestorm and Van Canto are on mine
Last year someone from the gencon fans facebook group took a bunch of suggestions and made a pretty cool playlist.  Probably still on spotify think it was named gencon 2018.

Posted by a dark rider on a pale ... unicorn?

Preparation Level: Calm Nervousness.

Everything that can be booked has been.

Trying not to worry too much about the O'Hare to Union Station connection at Chicago; I'll either make it or not, and if not, that's what fun travel stories are made of.

Need to do a test-pack, to see whether I can fit everything into my carry-on plus a foldable bag for the trip home.

Posted by rooandboo

I'm pushing the wheel of pain to get all buff for orc killing.

a dark rider on a pale ... unicorn? wrote:
Trying not to worry too much about the O'Hare to Union Station connection at Chicago; I'll either make it or not, and if not, that's what fun travel stories are made of.
Need to do a test-pack, to see whether I can fit everything into my carry-on plus a foldable bag for the trip home.
Hmmmm how much time do you have between your flight landing and the train at Union?  Are you planning on a cab or taking the El / Subway blue line from the airport?

Posted by darkeldar

Poor, pitiful me, I can only attend Saturday, so not much preparation. Using all my vacation time for a trip to Europe, shortly after GenCon, part of which includes a Homecoming event with one of the Exhibitors.  See them at the convention, then see them at home.

Posted by llenlleawg burrfoot72

burrfoot72 wrote:
Hmmmm how much time do you have between your flight landing and the train at Union?  Are you planning on a cab or taking the El / Subway blue line from the airport?
That was my question! I would strongly urge not taking a cab, with the potential nightmare that traffic on the Eisenhower can be at nearly any time of day. Besides, I doubt you'd save much time by taxi vs taking the blue line to Clinton (plus a short walk to Union Station).

Posted by brooks rooandboo

rooandboo wrote:
I'm pushing the wheel of pain to get all buff for orc killing.

Very cool... wish I had your dedication. 

Posted by a dark rider on a pale ... unicorn? llenlleawg

llenlleawg wrote:
burrfoot72 wrote:
That was my question! I would strongly urge not taking a cab, with the potential nightmare that traffic on the Eisenhower can be at nearly any time of day. Besides, I doubt you'd save much time by taxi vs taking the blue line to Clinton (plus a short walk to Union Station).

I've got 3.5 hours between flight and train, so the plan is for the Blue Line.
( did think about a cab, but the thought of being trapped in traffic did not appeal )

Posted by bugwar whisper721

whisper721 wrote:
OK.... SO  right at a month away!!!!!!     Whats everyone's preparations looking like???   When do you start getting ready....   I myself only pack 2 days prior... lol
1. Whats everyone's preparations looking like?
  Fine. 
  Got my flight and hotel reservations (and pet resort boarding for my cat while I'm away), Gencon tickets already arrived. 
  Test pack completed about two weeks ago, checklist verified and updated.

2. When do you start getting ready...?
  It is an ongoing process starting when I decide I have the money to make the trip.  So about the time the Event List opened up.
  I figure that around the first week of July I will get my GO Express tickets for getting between the hotel (I will be at the airport) and the convention center.
  I suspect that I will do a final pack about two days prior to my flight, and the following day drop my cat off at the boarding resort.

Posted by pexsis whisper721

whisper721 wrote:
1. My preparations is all of my tickets and badge safely stored away in my bag where I can not forget them.  Snacks, bottled water, and Monster have been bought and stored for the Con.

2. I will clean the house thoroughly and spend time with my wife and kids the week leading up as they're not coming. And spend all of Wednesday packing and tripple checking that I have packed and loaded up the car.  Driving to pick up my roommates and then crashing at the last roommates house before driving up to hotel!

Posted by roundtop

Looking out con items like clothing, badge holders, etc.

Training hard for the Orc stomp. Working out budget for how much I can spend.

llenlleawg wrote:
burrfoot72 wrote:

I've got 3.5 hours between flight and train, so the plan is for the Blue Line.
( did think about a cab, but the thought of being trapped in traffic did not appeal ) 
Yeah that train at Union leaves around 6 I think so you are getting in around 2 or 3.  Definitely take the blue line down.  That trip is about 45 minutes.  Blue line trains leave O'Hare about every 10 minutes.

Posted by komoridarkclaw

I have been forcing myself to not get ready yet :P

Lists. Lists are my friends. Lists make sure I don't do something stupid like not pack the badges. I have promised myself that I will not start making lists until the start of July, so I am ready for Monday :D Also, by making lists early, if I randomly think of something I should add, like start taking Vitamin C tablets a few days before, I can just run and add it to the appropriate list.

I have several lists.
One is "Stuff to do this month" and includes things like get a haircut and break in my new shoes as my old ones are getting too worn out.

Another is "Stuff to do the week before" and has things like start packing the tickets and clothes, and stopping by the bank to get cash for the vendor hall.

Next is "Stuff to do the day/night before" and is things like pack whatever I won't need in the morning, get clothes ready for the morning, charge my battery pack and laptop, double check that the tickets are packed, order a Lyft to take me to the airport, etc.

Finally, there is a "Stuff to do in the morning before going to the airport", which is triple check that the tickets are packed, use and pack up the toiletries like toothbrush, feed the cats, and general panic. 

There is also just a list of things to pack, which includes things like my phone charge cable and the sleeping mask I'll want at the hotel, things that aren't immediately obvious like clothes.

Having done this 3 times, I have not forgotten anything important so far and it soothes the obsessive planner side of me :)

~Komori

Posted by andrewj.rager

- Start taking Airborne from now through the con.
- Plan places to eat lunch and dinner everyday.
- Catch up on lots of board game news about games, so I know what to buy.

Posted by roderick

I pack like Indiana Jones - last minute; jacket, whip, revolver...

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.