Please Change "Spouse Activities" Category Name
1 3 5
1 3 5
Posted by traveller stahlnee

stahlnee wrote:
raidkillsbugsded wrote:
raidkillsbugsded wrote:
Other fun fact:  This category actually DOES have another name:  Supplemental Activities (SPA).  No, seriously, look far enough down the rabbit hole that is this very website, and you will find what I just did...

I’m not kidding...Do a Google search for Gen Con Spa (don’t use quotation marks )and see what comes up.  There is a link to this website (The Gen Con website) to Spa where it’s called Supplemental Activities rather than Spouse Activities (with zero use of the word spouse on the page); funny thing is, it’s not linked to any drop down menu here on the site itself.  Weird...(maybe a little too weird...)
I saw it a few years ago and was disappointed it wasn't spa. I could go for a foot massage on Saturday afternoon at GenCon.
There is an entire area setup for massages inside the convention center.  My <insert non-gender/sexual orientation description for entity> makes use of it every year.

Posted by trace_sl

SPA and Workshops seem to have a good bit of overlay in them.  

Posted by adcjones lona

lonamoore wrote:
This will be my first time attending GenCon with my husband and friends, and when I saw this category name in the event filter, I was first intrigued. However, when I looked what events were in there, this category is basically "wife activities". This is really demeaning. 
You can still have activities that are targeted towards women, but to have a category that is labeled this way is insulting towards women. Some events in there sound really fun, but this label makes it sound like women are put here while their husbands do other things.
I feel like the intentions behind having this category were genuine and that they were attempting to provide activities for non-gamers, but calling them spouse activities does not reflect the openness that I would expect from GenCon. These events could be fun for anyone who needs a break from gaming during the con, not just someone's spouse (husband or wife).

Hmm...I certainly don't see "spouse activities" as being for females only.  You seem to be imposing your own viewpoint on the meaning of "spouse," which is something in itself that might need to be addressed. If, indeed, the activities were for women only then that would be kind of crappy.  But if you step back, calm down, and look at the reality, it is not.  We all need to stop getting offended at every little thing- and this is coming from a hardcore progressive.  Plus, it's literally called Spouse Partner Activity, so "partner" implies gender neutral and status neutral.  This business at being offended by literally everything has got to stop.  That's life- we all have to deal with things that make us uncomfortable.

Agreeing with you, you are correct the events listed as "spouse activities" could be done by anyone, and should probably be reworded not because it's supposedly offensive but because it makes logical sense to call it something else, like "non-gamer events."  

Posted by ahsoka323

I vote for changing the name to "Side Quests".

I like "Non-Gamer Events" as well, but "Side Quests" has a nice ring to it and goes with the overall geeky theme of GenCon. 

Posted by remnant

I usually don't comment on these kinds of post but my dumb questions are do the people creating and running any of the numerous events and the reoccurring people that constantly do some of these events every year have an issue with the naming would be my thought process. 

Posted by tokihughes

There is a difference between segregation and segmentation and I think the current labeling, intentional or not, makes it fall into the former category.

For one, it automatically states that the only reason you are there is because of someone else.  It connotes an "Other" that isn't very welcoming or inclusive.  It seems to say "Fine, you don't like gaming.  Go over here and don't bother us."

If it's truly meant to be a category meant to be inclusive and welcoming to those that don't game, or just need a break from all the gaming over four days, it should be labeled as such.

"Non-gaming activities" seems to fit the bill nicely.  It takes out the pretext of why you are there.

Posted by bugwar

""Non-gaming activities" seems to fit the bill nicely.  It takes out the pretext of why you are there."

Ya know, there is a difference between segregation and segmentation and I think your labeling, intentional or not, makes it fall into the former category.
It connotes an "Other" that isn't very welcoming or inclusive.  
It seems to say "Fine, you don't like gaming.  Go over here and don't bother us."

Posted by tokihughes bugwar

bugwar wrote:
""Non-gaming activities" seems to fit the bill nicely.  It takes out the pretext of why you are there."
Ya know, there is a difference between segregation and segmentation and I think your labeling, intentional or not, makes it fall into the former category.
It connotes an "Other" that isn't very welcoming or inclusive.  
It seems to say "Fine, you don't like gaming.  Go over here and don't bother us."

I'm not understanding the point you are trying to make. Can you make an argument using clear, concise points, please?  Much appreciated.

Posted by bugwar

"I'm not understanding the point you are trying to make. "

I am sorry to read that.
Especially considering what you wrote in an earlier post.

Posted by ozmar lona

lonamoore wrote:
This will be my first time attending GenCon with my husband and friends, and when I saw this category name in the event filter, I was first intrigued. However, when I looked what events were in there, this category is basically "wife activities". This is really demeaning. 
You can still have activities that are targeted towards women, but to have a category that is labeled this way is insulting towards women. Some events in there sound really fun, but this label makes it sound like women are put here while their husbands do other things.
I feel like the intentions behind having this category were genuine and that they were attempting to provide activities for non-gamers, but calling them spouse activities does not reflect the openness that I would expect from GenCon. These events could be fun for anyone who needs a break from gaming during the con, not just someone's spouse (husband or wife).

Ok, changed the name. It is now called "Events for Silly Girl-Types Because Girls Don't Know How to Play Games"

Is that better? :)

Posted by fethbone

I agree that the name should be changed and have felt that way since I saw the category. The events within the category are fun (I've done a few), but it would be easy enough to come up with a different name. I won't wade into the argument about whether the term and the events in the category are gendered or not, but why even imply that if you attend as a couple, one person is not going to be into gaming?

Posted by cmegus

While I don’t really care either way... I vote for “Side Quests”.

Brilliant actually.

G

Posted by bugwar fethbone

fethbone wrote:...but why even imply that if you attend as a couple, one person is not going to be into gaming?

Why not?
Shouldn't people celebrate their differences from gamers?
Are they not allowed to have pride in their culture that does not include gaming?
Not everyone at GenCon is a gamer, shouldn't we be inclusive and proclaim our support for those who self identify as such?

If I am a spouse, shouldn't I take pride as being one and not see the convention trying to cover up my identity with event labels that hide what I am?

Posted by andrewj.rager cmegus

cmegus wrote:
While I don’t really care either way... I vote for “Side Quests”.
Brilliant actually.
G

Yup Side Quests is a perfect name. But you could also use Side Quests for the Isle of Misfit Events category.

Posted by cloak72 fethbone

fethbone wrote:
but why even imply that if you attend as a couple, one person is not going to be into gaming?
They aren't.    They're saying that SOME couples will consist of a gamer and a non-gamer.    These events were added at the request of just such couples, in fact.

Posted by xcoconutmonkey06x raidkillsbugsded

raidkillsbugsded wrote:
xcoconutmonkey06x wrote:
This post = *Face Palm*

This is the kind of thread that hasn’t been around much lately this year. It’s a reminder of the timeworn days of such arguments as baby strollers in the dealer hall, Gen Con’s best potential location, and how Gen Con has turned away from its ‘roots’ as a gaming convention...
lol, true. I guess people need to find SOMETHING to complain about. Can't please everyone, I guess

Posted by xcoconutmonkey06x tokihughes

tokihughes wrote:
There is a difference between segregation and segmentation and I think the current labeling, intentional or not, makes it fall into the former category.
For one, it automatically states that the only reason you are there is because of someone else.  It connotes an "Other" that isn't very welcoming or inclusive.  It seems to say "Fine, you don't like gaming.  Go over here and don't bother us."
If it's truly meant to be a category meant to be inclusive and welcoming to those that don't game, or just need a break from all the gaming over four days, it should be labeled as such.
"Non-gaming activities" seems to fit the bill nicely.  It takes out the pretext of why you are there.
So the above is your viewpoint, of which I totally respect. I will, however, present another viewpoint. My wife or "spouse" in this instance, is not really a gamer but this year, she wanted to come with me to GenCon to experience what I am always so crazed about. She recently discovered this category and got super excited because it had events that she felt were more tailored to her. I told her about this thread and she could not see how anyone would be offended or labeled because the category contains what it needs to and pertains to who it needs to, in her view point. 

So the overall point I am going to make is that ultimately, you will not be able to please everyone because someone somewhere will find an issue with it and try to change the whole world to suit their very specific view. On paper, this category is NOT gender/role specific (of which I am grateful for) so to champion an overhaul is really quite a waste of time/energy because if it isn't broke, don't fix it. 

Posted by funny-shaped dice xcoconutmonkey06x

xcoconutmonkey06x wrote:
tokihughes wrote:
She recently discovered this category and got super excited because it had events that she felt were more tailored to her. 

I think this is key: it is a smaller, subset of activities that may appeal to a particular *segment* of attendees.  The fact that it overlaps with other activity categories is, frankly, irrelevant - it is easy to point a common, particular segment of attendees to a curated list of activities that may particularly appeal to that segment.

Renaming it - or combining it with other categories - potentiallly contributes to an overwhelming number of events or introduces friction to a particular segment of attendees for which reducing friction may be a key requirement.

My experience was the same as xcoconutmonkey06x - when my wife first started attending Gen Con, rather than pointing her at 16000 events, I started by pointing her to Spouse and Partner Activities (SPA) events and she was really excited about it. That curation mattered.

Today, she navigates the entire catalog like I do - but that first time, that curation made a big difference.

Names like “Side Quests” and “Non-Gamer Events” are cute - but don’t reflect the value of curation. 

Posted by mstreffa

Ok I'm really annoyed because all this time I thought the Spouse category was couple activities and didn't realize what that category really was. I'm regretting all the events from that category I would have done had I realized what the title actually meant. That is so misleading!

Posted by tokihughes xcoconutmonkey06x

xcoconutmonkey06x wrote:
tokihughes wrote:
So the above is your viewpoint, of which I totally respect. I will, however, present another viewpoint. My wife or "spouse" in this instance, is not really a gamer but this year, she wanted to come with me to GenCon to experience what I am always so crazed about. She recently discovered this category and got super excited because it had events that she felt were more tailored to her. I told her about this thread and she could not see how anyone would be offended or labeled because the category contains what it needs to and pertains to who it needs to, in her view point. So the overall point I am going to make is that ultimately, you will not be able to please everyone because someone somewhere will find an issue with it and try to change the whole world to suit their very specific view. On paper, this category is NOT gender/role specific (of which I am grateful for) so to champion an overhaul is really quite a waste of time/energy because if it isn't broke, don't fix it. 
It's funny because I was looking over the events page (the classic view by date and times, not the filter one) with my wife to chose things.  She is into games but no where near obsessed like I am.  We get to the first block of Spouse Events and she says, "What are those?" reads the events and then says "Why are they all chick things?"

I mention it because it just so happens that the first few events listed on Thursday as Spouse Activities are stereotypical female things.  It's not until you look at a different web page view and see ALL the Spouse Activities that you realize it really is gender neutral and encompassing.  

At least for me (and maybe the OP) that unfortunate timing is part of what lead me to turn my head and say, "Ummmmm..."

In the grand scheme of things it's small, but I really do think that "Non-gamer Activities" or "Side-Quests" would just avoid this and other above mentioned confusions. 

Take it or leave it, it's not a hill I'm going to die on, just offering my perspective.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 5
1 3 5