Ever abandoned a game that is not going well?
1 3
1 3
Normal
Small
Posted by ascantla

See a lot of RPG and LARP here. We're mostly board gamers and have left a table a couple of times in the last 8 years.

We played a Descent type board game 1 vs many where they booked "DM" to 2 tables and you had to wait for them to do one table then the next. We talked to the other players at our table and let them know we wanted to leave, but were willing to stay if they wanted with no issues. Ended up they felt the same we did. We told the person running the game how we felt and they apologized and offered to try to find someone, but we told them we were done and left. 

This year we had a learn to play event and the 2 of us ended up on opposite teams each with a random person, not a big deal for us. The learn to play was staggered with another event by an hour so once we were an hour in the person running had to go teach another table. When you get into the meat of a game an hour in, that's not the time to leave new players. The random guys we were paired with then ended up arguing about every rule we didn't know, and we ended up leaving them at the table, with a "you guys don't need us to argue amongst yourselves." and we ditched.

Once three of us showed up to what ended up being 1v1 games so i was with a random person, not a big deal. The other 2 in my group quit half way through, they were playing together and didn't like the game. I stayed, even though i didn't care for it, because the person i was paired with really wanted to play the game. So i gave it my all and gave them a good experience.

I will always voice how we're feeling to who is running the game, if they are there, and if it effects another player will see how they feel about it and salvage it for them if i can. 

Normal
Small
Posted by quarex

I have a thus-far unique game-abandonment story!  A year or two ago, I was playing in an OD&D game, along with two of my real-life friends, at a table of like 10 or so (I think the game was slated for 6 but the DM allowed generics obviously).  Perhaps because there were too many players at the table, because the DM was not this kind of DM, or because we were supposed to pick up on the nuance of it being an OD&D game in the pre-"amateur theater" style, well, as soon as one of my friends and I started bantering with each other in-character over the quest we had been given, the DM looked kind of horrified.  Once we finished talking, he made some comments like "well, now that that's over, let's get back to the game."

So basically I felt it was immediately obvious my style of gaming was not wanted at this table, and two of the three of us left at the first opportunity.  I imagine the game was better for it, even though I hardly think we were doing anything wrong, nor that a just-mechanics game is inherently bad (though obviously not my thing).

Normal
Small
Posted by the chronek

I've left two games early. The last game I left early was in 2014. It was a QAGS game, and there was a player in there who was really dominating the action. To me it seemed like the GM wasn't reigning him in. It's a shame, because I enjoy the QAGS system, and I've had lots of fun playing in their games previously, and I know I had seen the player previously in other QAGS games. I just got tired of it when it seemed like my character wasn't even driving a little bit of the action, so I left.

The other game I left early was a Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG. This game was a mashup between Buffyverse characters and comic book characters, like Constantine. Two players really started dominating the session, and I finally got to the point where I asked the GM, point blank, if there was any reason for my character to be there. When he said no, I said, ok, my character catches a bus and leaves town. With that, I left the table.

I have no regrets about either time I left the table early. My time is limited, and if I'm not enjoying myself in the game, especially after I've made an effort to bring it up, I have no problem leaving.

Normal
Small
Posted by rutherfordr

A few years ago, I barely escaped a disastrous LARP game.

Everyone had assembled in the room at the beginning of the session, and the organizer said, "Sorry, but I haven't written this one yet. I'll make up some characters for you in a few minutes, and then we'll get started."

I traded my ticket with someone who had generics, and quickly got out of there.
And I'll never attend another LARP run by that group again. Life (and Gen Con) is too short for that kind of nonsense.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.
1 3
1 3