Hotel lottery question
Posted by kbeal2k

If both my wife and I are going- would it be better for us to each sign up for a badge separately and therefore have two different chances on the hotel lottery?

Is there any downside to doing it this way?

Posted by andrewj.rager

Yes you would want to each buy your own badge. This gives you two entries into the lottery.

The only downside to this is if you plan on having your badge and tickets mailed to you. You will have to pay the $10 shipping charge twice, once for each account.

If you are doing Will Call, then there isn't a downside, as you can still purchase event tickets in May on one account for any friends.

Posted by buffythecatslayer

The downside to Will Call is that this year, on Thursday morning,the line was over an hour, maybe even more. If you can get there Wednesday, then WC is not that bad

Posted by raptorov

My wife and I are having to go lottery this year. My badge is paid by the company I volunteer for but I must go the reimburse route.
So, fingers crossed we get downtown and not some "No tell-Motel" at the airport.

grrrrr.

Posted by captain 10beers

Good luck in the lotto man!  The Will Call line was still a 30 min wait on Wednesday at 1:00 p.m.  (My buddy had to go to it)  BUT compared to that line on Thursday!!  It was worth paying the $10 to have my badge and everything shipped to me.  (My buddy said he won't make that mistake again)

Posted by andrewj.rager captain 10beers

captain 10beers wrote:
Good luck in the lotto man!  The Will Call line was still a 30 min wait on Wednesday at 1:00 p.m.  (My buddy had to go to it)  BUT compared to that line on Thursday!!  It was worth paying the $10 to have my badge and everything shipped to me.  (My buddy said he won't make that mistake again)
This was weird to me as 3 years ago Gen Con 2016 it was long but fast, then 2 years ago for Gen Con 50, it seemed like the Will Call line was never busy. Then last year, Gen Con 2018 it was bonkers.

I wonder if there was less staff or just more Will Call customers. I know some people might not have the opportunity to pick up their badges before Thursday, but if you can do so. Even if its in the middle of the night late Wednesday early Thursday.

Posted by dorfsrule

I would say the difference lat year is that everyone bought separate tickets for the lottery picks. That adds $10 each to the price of a badge. Before you could stick 3 people on one order and $10 wasn't bad. I will be buying three separate badges for me and my boys so we will get three lottery chances. Saving $30 at will-call is worth it to me. I plan to come in Tuesday night though.

Posted by matthias9

Will Call is not so bad as long as you can get it done before Thursday morning.

On Wednesday afternoon, which is probably busiest Wednesday time, my group waited in line.  It took nearly 30 min (more than previous years), but you spend that time hanging out with people and talking about games, the Con, flipping through the onsite booklet, etc. 

I would not want to deal with that if I arrived on Thursday morning, though.

Posted by ar6474

This year it is said they will be doing Etickets so the price for shipping may be no longer needed

Posted by matthias9 ar6474

ar6474 wrote:
This year it is said they will be doing Etickets so the price for shipping may be no longer needed

There's still the badge itself...

Posted by alans

If they go the all e-ticket route, that will pretty much do away with Will Call madness. Joy!

Posted by technoir

eTickets... interesting 
so will they be connected to the badge?

SO 4, 3, and 2 years ago I did Will Call. Most of the years I waited an hr-ish. Then 2 years ago I only waited 1min. Literally it took me longer to walk around the little lane dividers than it did for me to wait in the line and be called up. I showed up Wednesday around 2pm
Last year I had a bunch of system credit and I had it mailed to me. I was a little upset because my last name is really late in the Alpha and I had to wait FOREVER for my badge. HOWEVER I was overjoyed when I saw the Wednesday night will call line(which I'll often wait for) was outside the door and around the block. 

Posted by marimaccadmin

Hi,

Yes, e tickets are connected to badges.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Posted by qwaserity

An odd question: If you get a hotel through the hotel lottery, what do the prices run?

Posted by technoir qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
An odd question: If you get a hotel through the hotel lottery, what do the prices run?
Anywhere between 150-400 

BUT the 400 is a off case when you get one of the deluxe suites offered at some places. 

More likely 180-250 downtown normal room. 

Posted by selene314 qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:

Last year's prices:
https://www.gencon.com/attend/hotelmap?#downtowncampus
Most are around $250/night after you include the 17% tax.

Posted by marv marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
Hi,
Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC
Are all events going etickets this year? The Host Event Policy doesn't reflect this. Only certain events will be etickets. 

Posted by marimaccadmin marv

marv wrote:
marimaccadmin wrote:
Hi,
Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC
Are all events going etickets this year? The Host Event Policy doesn't reflect this. Only certain events will be etickets. 

Yes, that's correct; as noted in the Event Host Policy, only certain events will have etickets.

Marian McBrine
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by ytuni

Their hotel pricing page is already up for this year.

Click on 'Attend' and then 'Hotel Information' at the top of the page.

Posted by andrewj.rager ytuni

ytuni wrote:
Their hotel pricing page is already up for this year.
Click on 'Attend' and then 'Hotel Information' at the top of the page.
I didn't realize the Hyatt House / Hyatt Place was opening as soon as it is (April) That's cool. We stay at the Regency now by that's a nice option. In 2016 I stayed at the Hyatt Place in the North district and it was very nice.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.