Is there a chance for housing to open up?
1 3 5
1 3 5
Posted by komoridarkclaw

A note
I already have suitable arrangements, but I will say that there are a couple of AirB&B locations for 4 people, Wednesday July 31-Aug 5, for ~$200-300 just on the other side of the I-65 if someone is desperate. A couple of miles but still downtown, and AirB&B is iffy, but those are much better prices for 4 than I have seen for a while there.
~Komori

Posted by nuyawkdawg buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
Not sure what your point is. If you are paying $300 for an out-of-block room that is downtown, then you have a great deal. But, since you are renting a car, seems like you're not downtown, and you are way overpaying.  Nice rooms 12 miles away are about $150-$175 in-block; why pay almost double that?
Sorry, was not clear. The room is under $300 total for 4 days. It is out of block and about 6 miles due south of the convention. Two queen beds, and need the rental car because this hotel is not on a bus route. 

Posted by buffythecatslayer

$75/night?  Check for bodies under the mattress. ;-)

Posted by nuyawkdawg buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
$75/night?  Check for bodies under the mattress. ;-)
Been in worse places. And besides, not throwing a party, basically someplace to crash. It beats the floors I used to sleep on, under tables, in my much younger days. Game on!

Posted by jishosan hendelbolaf

hendelbolaf wrote:
I am not sure what “too far” is, but I drive 14 hours from Dallas. I guess if I was in California or the Pacific Northwest, I would consider flying.

A fellow Dallas driver! :) DO you drive it all in one day? I tend to go leisurely and give myself an extra day and stop in Springfield, MO. 

Posted by hendelbolaf jishosan

jishosan wrote:
hendelbolaf wrote:
I am not sure what “too far” is, but I drive 14 hours from Dallas. I guess if I was in California or the Pacific Northwest, I would consider flying.

A fellow Dallas driver! :) DO you drive it all in one day? I tend to go leisurely and give myself an extra day and stop in Springfield, MO. 
Usually we drive it one day, but that is when I have more than myself as an adult driver. If I am alone or with my son, then we will split up the trip into two easier segments.

I did well in the housing lottery so we have a place from Tuesday night until Sunday night this year or else I was planning on going most of the way on Tuesday and leave about three hours on Wednesday and then reverse it on the way home. That would let me save money on a cheap hotel outside the city two nights. Since we did well on the lottery, we are leaving DFW around 6:00 AM Tuesday and should arrive in Indianapolis around 8:00 PM...

Posted by jishosan hendelbolaf

hendelbolaf wrote:
jishosan wrote:
hendelbolaf wrote:

Usually we drive it one day, but that is when I have more than myself as an adult driver. If I am alone or with my son, then we will split up the trip into two easier segments.I did well in the housing lottery so we have a place from Tuesday night until Sunday night this year or else I was planning on going most of the way on Tuesday and leave about three hours on Wednesday and then reverse it on the way home. That would let me save money on a cheap hotel outside the city two nights. Since we did well on the lottery, we are leaving DFW around 6:00 AM Tuesday and should arrive in Indianapolis around 8:00 PM...

Fantastic. We are leaving on Tuesday and coming in on Wednesday, and checking out on Monday. Splitting it into two days means my two teen sons can sleep in and we  can stop a couple times on the trip for meals and basically have a leisurely road trip. :) 

Posted by aldctjoc

Daaaaaamn. I've done 14 hour drives myself back when I was a college kid, but that's too much for me now. Thank goodness my trip to Indianapolis isn't anywhere near that long. 

Posted by aldctjoc

Oh! That whole 'from Dallas' thing reminds me: If anyone is taking a route through southern Indiana that uses I-69 this coming August, keep an eye out for news about construction. There's a segment between a small town called Martinsville and Indianapolis itself that is scheduled to be built (there's still a state highway there - I-69 turns into IN 37 there - so there are no worries about getting up to Indy, you just stay on that same road). Major construction isn't supposed to start until 2020, but there is auxiliary preparatory construction (upgrading local roads, creating access roads, etc.) that may take place this year. And it doesn't take much thought to conclude that it can impact current traffic to some degree. 

Next year will be an issue. In 2020, that state highway will have a section entirely closed with traffic diverted to other state highways. I fear that'll be a friggin' mess in the short term, but it's supposed to mean faster construction and less pain in the long run. There's no word yet that I've found that says whether that closure will be end of July through start of August though, so maybe it won't be an issue? Fingers crossed. 

tl;dr - If you're taking I-69 through southern Indiana, watch for news and allow for construction. 

Sources and sites to use to keep up with this stuff:

Posted by bushmaster

Thanks for the heads-up.  Last year I drop up from St. Louis and found a fair amount of road construction along the way.

Posted by komoridarkclaw

Keep looking ;)

Just found a Skywalk Marriott King room in the housing portal. Picked it up, even though I am really looking for a 2 bed room as its better than the 8 mile out one I had previously. You never know when something will pop up.

~Komori

Posted by sarudy

Also if you find a place inside the beltway (or loop, or whatever they call it in Indy), look into BlueIndy.  They're rental electric cars and you only pay for the time between charging stations, and there are plenty of charging spots downtown.  It may actually wind up being more cost-effective than paying for parking.  You can buy membership by the week, so no commitment for the rest of the year.

Posted by bloodyfire

question....when rooms open up...is it better to book one day or wait and try and get all 4 in a different hotel?

Posted by squirecam bloodyfire

You have to have a Saturday night. Which won’t come available by itself as there is a minimum stay.

Posted by glory

I just swapped out a room at the Hilton 5 blocks away for a room at the JW - so stuff does pop up. :)

Posted by komoridarkclaw

Just reviving this thread as people are going to be moving reservations now that the events list is out, and even more so in 2 weeks once people do/do not get the events they want.
Case in point, there is a Candlewood Suites 2.8 miles away that currently has an opening.
~Komori

Posted by burrfoot72

Yeah.  I was able to grab a king at the Hyatt a few days ago for wednesday through sunday.  Was just in the portal a minute ago and the JW was available but someone snagged it up already.  Stuff is moving a little it seems.  Just keep trying is all I can say as well.  

Posted by komoridarkclaw

Cross Posting as I know there are interested people watching this thread:
https://www.gencon.com/forums/43-travel-housing-and-dining-2019/topics/14973-out-of-block-downtown-ish-reservation-takeover-drawing

Posted by brumcg

Our group had no rooms in the block but grabbed a room at the Westin for close to $500/night.  Within the last three weeks, we got two rooms at the JW.

Keep trying.  My friends thought I was weird for checking every day, but it paid off.

Posted by divachelle brumcg

brumcg wrote:
Keep trying.  My friends thought I was weird for checking every day, but it paid off.
So much this.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 5
1 3 5