Is there a chance for housing to open up?
1 2 4
1 2 4
Posted by fleviseur

Omni Severin downtown had openings 15 minutes ago.  In block.

Posted by jimmythesaint

I was able to grab a JW Marriott room this morning, so rooms are opening up.

Posted by komoridarkclaw jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint wrote:
I was able to grab a JW Marriott room this morning, so rooms are opening up.
Ditto, upgrade/sidegrade. Went from a King Wed-Sun night to double Queen for Thurs-Sat night, which will work better for our group, at the Indianapolis Marriott.

Coincidentally, there is a King available :P

~Komori

Posted by matthias9 ar6474

ar6474 wrote:
You dont have to rely on the housing block. I never do .
FYI, I just checked Marriott's site and I found several hotel within 15 miles of DT that have standard rates starting at $141 per night. Buy the parking pass from Gate 10 and arrive early. The last 3 years this is what we did. I was able to get DT rooms this year. However I was also able to get special rates at the Hampton through Costco.
IF you are willing to drive 20 minutes and park you can still get good rooms
https://www.marriott.com/search/filterSearch.mi?filter=false

I'd like to underscore the above because I think it is good advice.  You should STILL be able to get a room outside downtown for a good price.  You will still need to solve the transportation problem, but worth it in my opinion.  Your mileage may vary.

Posted by dynel

Be patient.  I, literally, just got the Hilton less than 10 minutes ago.  Vigilance is key, I believe.

Posted by fethbone dynel

dynel wrote:
Be patient.  I, literally, just got the Hilton less than 10 minutes ago.  Vigilance is key, I believe.

^^ Yes, it is. I booked outside the block, but I got a room for my friend at the JW before the events list dropped. Once I finally got a clue I could still use my spot in the housing portal, I checked twice a day and it took about 10 days. Not excessively onerous imo. 

Posted by tony_4 aabacus

aabacus wrote:
The good news is that we've got a room at the Staybridge just a 15 min walk to the front door of the center.
The bad news is that it's $480/night. I have certainly spent more on a hotel...but never a Staybridge.   
That's about twice what I wanted to spend.  
Is there any chance that housing downtown will open up in one of the nicer hotels nearby or attached or is what's done...done?

I just had to cancel my room due to a conflicting business trip over the same week.  It was down town at the Alexander, $200ish a night.  Good luck if you can get it.

Posted by jimmythesaint

A member of our group is releasing a room at Hyatt House in about 2 minutes. Good luck.

Posted by madsalad

I see a Sleep Inn room just opened up 2.3 miles away. $190/night. 

Posted by xmidnightxeyesx

They sent an email out last night that (6/4) letting people know that they have to drop their hotels by EOD on 6/10 to avoid getting dinged the cost of a full night.  I've seen a couple of downtown hotels hit and managed to get a Hilton and then switched again to a Home2.  Keep checking throughout the day this week.  You should hopefully get lucky!

Posted by madsalad

Ugh, I wish there was a better way than "need to constantly hit "find" on the housing portal and be married to your computer all day". 

Posted by elmnstr2

Hampton Inn Downtown has an opening currently for $216 in block if anyone wants downtown. Probably the best price you find 2 blocks away.

Posted by benny6toes

Yesterday morning I grabbed the Hampton Inn Downtown Across From Circle Center for $236/night, but I had to check the housing portal every 20 minutes to luck into it. I also didn't have another room reserved (other friends did).

For those who may be looking to upgrade (and for my own knowledge), can you search for different housing without cancelling your existing housing reservation first?

Posted by komoridarkclaw

Yes you can search without updating your reservation.

Hitting the Find New Hotel button does nothing to your reservation until you hit Save. Don't hit save, your reservation stays exactly as it was.

I almost missed an upgrade because I almost didn't hit the save after I made the adjustments I needed, so you need to be pretty committed to the change before it will be possible :)

~Komori

Posted by brumcg benny6toes

benny6toes wrote:
For those who may be looking to upgrade (and for my own knowledge), can you search for different housing without cancelling your existing housing reservation first?

Yes you can.  Just be sure to hit MODIFY.  After clicking the scary 'Yes', it will let you search for a new room.  If the search doesn't find anything (as usual), I play it safe by closing the tab.

Posted by benny6toes

Good info. Thanks!

Posted by talonkane

Just grabbed The Westin across the street from ICC and attached via Skywalk. But now I'm broke for spending cash at the Dealer's Room. LOL.

Posted by cman811

There's a room at the Omni open

Posted by choriqueso talonkane

talonkane wrote:
Just grabbed The Westin across the street from ICC and attached via Skywalk. But now I'm broke for spending cash at the Dealer's Room. LOL.

Yea, I snagged an out of block room after losing the hotel lottery once... almost 2k but damn it was nice not having to drive.

Posted by ematuskey

I grabbed an out-of-block room at the Conrad for my friend and I to share: only $270ish a night after taxes--per person.  :p  Ouch!  I'm keeping my eyes on the housing block just in case, but I'm guessing 2Q downtown rooms are going to be mighty hard to come by!  I could have snagged a 1K at the Omni if I'd been willing to ditch my friend, heh. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 2 4
1 2 4