The Westin is TERRIBLE
Posted by blinkin03

I just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem this year.

The Westin had some rooms available a few days before housing opened. It was a bit more expensive than through the housing portal, but the last few years we have missed out on staying downtown, so we decided it was worth it. I booked two rooms for our group and received confirmation emails and my credit card was charged.

We ignored the housing portal since we already had these rooms booked. The next week after the portal had opened, I get a call from the Westin telling me that the rooms were listed as available by mistake and they were cancelling my reservation.

I have spoken with several people at the hotel, including the general manager, and everyone has basically told me tough luck and it's not their fault. I have opened cases with Starwood corporate and Mariott corporate and everyone there is ignoring my emails and phone calls.

I have had wonderful experiences at Westins in the past and this is extremely disappointing to me.

Posted by traveller

This story, or one like it, comes up every year.  I hate <brand> hotel, they cancelled my out of block (OOB) reservation.  The hotels are only going to maintain a very very small selection of rooms (for there high value rewards members) that are OOB.  Every other room is going to q-rooms (the third party group that manages the housing lottery).

Did you book your room via the hotel website or some third party vendor?  

Posted by blinkin03 traveller

traveller wrote:
This story, or one like it, comes up every year.  I hate <brand> hotel, they cancelled my out of block (OOB) reservation.  The hotels are only going to maintain a very very small selection of rooms (for there high value rewards members) that are OOB.  Every other room is going to q-rooms (the third party group that manages the housing lottery).
Did you book your room via the hotel website or some third party vendor?  

It was through their website. 

Posted by david campbell

I feel your pain, I had that happen a few years back as well; not Westin, but one of the downtown hotels had a block of rooms in January that I booked through and it turned out to be a "tough luck" mistake. 

Posted by blinkin03 david campbell

david campbell wrote:
I feel your pain, I had that happen a few years back as well; not Westin, but one of the downtown hotels had a block of rooms in January that I booked through and it turned out to be a "tough luck" mistake. 

Thanks, and it's not so much the mistake that bothers me. Everyone makes mistakes. But they are taking no ownership of the mistake and arent even offering me some Marriot points or some concellation prize. They are just saying it was a "computer glitch" and wiping their hands of the situation. 

Posted by david campbell blinkin03

blinkin03 wrote:
david campbell wrote:

Thanks, and it's not so much the mistake that bothers me. Everyone makes mistakes. But they are taking no ownership of the mistake and arent even offering me some Marriot points or some concellation prize. They are just saying it was a "computer glitch" and wiping their hands of the situation. 

Agreed; that is lousy of them. They should offer something for the inconvenience and let down; they must understand how important a downtown Gen Con room is the impact of taking one away. Good luck on the escalation; if they can't help you this year maybe they can help with a 2020 room?

Posted by squirecam

This is why I use Hilton Honors points for stays whenever possible. They cant cancel out from under you that way. I also see that Mariott has the same policy. If you book with rewards points, they are required to have such a room available, and when you book it, they cannot say that room was intended for Q rooms...

Blackout dates traditionally refer to a limited number of dates, such as during peak travel times throughout the year, when a hotel can choose not to have Members redeem Points for a Free Night Award stay. With our “No Blackout Dates” policy, hotels are required to have a limited number of standard rooms available for redemption every day.

Posted by bugwar

Thanks for the heads up.

It got me to wondering if my travel agency had any protections against that sort of thing.
I called them and found out that they do not.
Bummer.

Posted by traveller blinkin03

blinkin03 wrote:
david campbell wrote:

So, let me see if I understand this.  This is not your first go around with traveling to GENCON and housing.  You opted to take a chance on booking directly with a hotel (with no reasonable expectation of room guarantee)  You were informed that there was a computer error and your rooms would not be available on the date you requested.  You were informed promptly, and I will assume any deposit money was refunded.  Now you feel you are owed some compensation for the error.

You were informed of the error in a reasonable amount of time to make other accommodations (based on your post, you had 7 months to book rooms).  As you stated, mistakes happen, and I assume that somewhere in the communication there was a "we are sorry for any inconvenience" note.  Beyond that, why do you feel you are entitled to more?    

Posted by bugwar

"You opted to take a chance on booking directly with a hotel (with no reasonable expectation of room guarantee) "

Um, forgive my ignorance, but when people book with a hotel isn't it the assumption that the room is guaranteed?
Else why bother booking at all?

Posted by blinkin03 traveller

traveller wrote:
blinkin03 wrote:
david campbell wrote:

So, let me see if I understand this.  This is not your first go around with traveling to GENCON and housing.  You opted to take a chance on booking directly with a hotel (with no reasonable expectation of room guarantee)  You were informed that there was a computer error and your rooms would not be available on the date you requested.  You were informed promptly, and I will assume any deposit money was refunded.  Now you feel you are owed some compensation for the error.You were informed of the error in a reasonable amount of time to make other accommodations (based on your post, you had 7 months to book rooms).  As you stated, mistakes happen, and I assume that somewhere in the communication there was a "we are sorry for any inconvenience" note.  Beyond that, why do you feel you are entitled to more?    

Absolutely. Their website said a room was available. I opted to take it (and pay more than through the housing portal) so that I wouldn't risk getting a bad time slot and missing out on staying downtown. Then they didn't tell me there was an error until well after the housing portal had completely sold out of downtown rooms. I have no room in downtown Indy as a direct result of their "glitch" which is code for someone screwed something up and they are blaming the computer. 

Posted by blinkin03 bugwar

bugwar wrote:
"You opted to take a chance on booking directly with a hotel (with no reasonable expectation of room guarantee) "
Um, forgive my ignorance, but when people book with a hotel isn't it the assumption that the room is guaranteed?
Else why bother booking at all?

That's always been my assumption as well. It's like the Seinfeld episode with the car rental.

"See, you know how to take the reservation, you just don't know how to *hold* the reservation and that's really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them."

Posted by bugwar blinkin03

blinkin03 wrote:
I booked two rooms for our group and received confirmation emails and my credit card was charged.
We ignored the housing portal since we already had these rooms booked. The next week after the portal had opened,...

Just out of curiosity, did you call the hotel and speak with the front desk to confirm the reservation (before they cancelled it)?
I have always been worried that just because a computer says it is so don't necessarily correspond to reality.

Posted by blinkin03 bugwar

bugwar wrote:
blinkin03 wrote:
I booked two rooms for our group and received confirmation emails and my credit card was charged.
We ignored the housing portal since we already had these rooms booked. The next week after the portal had opened,...

Just out of curiosity, did you call the hotel and speak with the front desk to confirm the reservation (before they cancelled it)?
I have always been worried that just because a computer says it is so don't necessarily correspond to reality.

I did not. But only because the reservation confirmation email specifically said:

I will be from now on though :)

Posted by bugwar

Yeah, I feel better when I get a human to look at things.
Though of course if they really want to dump you for someone paying more, they can just say that the human didn't see that your reservation was a double booking over another one.
Assuming they want to go to the trouble of coming up with a reason in the first place.

Posted by cmegus

So you convinced me to call my hotel front desk and confirm my reservation... 

I am confirmed. Good advice though...

G

Posted by dranthor

I have an OOB room at the westin that I booked as soon as they opened booking for the time frame. Almost a year in advance.  I have steadily checked to make sure my booking stayed booked.  I check every month. I have had no problems and even added a day recently.  I know that the only sure fire way to guarentee a room is to put a deposit down and I was willing to do so. I've never had issues with either marriot or hyatt and have member ships with both of them. when I made the inital reservation I called the westin direct.  I always call the hotel I will be staying at to make my reservations because many times the booking line doesn't know specifics of the hotel.

I'm sorry you had difficult. I wish you the best. 

Posted by blinkin03 dranthor

dranthor wrote:
I have an OOB room at the westin that I booked as soon as they opened booking for the time frame. Almost a year in advance.  I have steadily checked to make sure my booking stayed booked.  I check every month. I have had no problems and even added a day recently.  I know that the only sure fire way to guarentee a room is to put a deposit down and I was willing to do so. I've never had issues with either marriot or hyatt and have member ships with both of them. when I made the inital reservation I called the westin direct.  I always call the hotel I will be staying at to make my reservations because many times the booking line doesn't know specifics of the hotel.
I'm sorry you had difficult. I wish you the best. 

Thanks. I have booked many many rooms online and I've never had an issue. But, I think I will start calling as well from now on. Just takes one bad experience I guess  :)

Posted by syntyche

We picked up a Westin room on Housing Portal day and got it canceled out too, despite it being a pay in full one. We ended up going with Marriott, and then stalking the housing portal until we got a much more reasonably priced room, but we were very lucky in that.

Posted by bugwar dranthor

dranthor wrote:I know that the only sure fire way to guarentee a room is to put a deposit down and I was willing to do so.  

Good to know.  Your source?

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.