The Westin is TERRIBLE
Posted by blinkin03 syntyche

syntyche wrote:
We picked up a Westin room on Housing Portal day and got it canceled out too, despite it being a pay in full one. We ended up going with Marriott, and then stalking the housing portal until we got a much more reasonably priced room, but we were very lucky in that.

I'm glad to hear you got a room. Did you talk to anyone at the hotel when it was cancelled? I talked to several people including the general manager and everyone was extremely dimissive of me. It was very frustrating. 

Posted by blinkin03 bugwar

bugwar wrote:
 dranthor wrote:I know that the only sure fire way to guarentee a room is to put a deposit down and I was willing to do so.  

Good to know.  Your source?

I'm not sure about that. I prepaid for these two rooms in full. They had no problem cancelling them. 

Posted by syntyche blinkin03

blinkin03 wrote:
syntyche wrote:
We picked up a Westin room on Housing Portal day and got it canceled out too, despite it being a pay in full one. We ended up going with Marriott, and then stalking the housing portal until we got a much more reasonably priced room, but we were very lucky in that.

I'm glad to hear you got a room. Did you talk to anyone at the hotel when it was cancelled? I talked to several people including the general manager and everyone was extremely dimissive of me. It was very frustrating. 
A friend was the one who booked. I think they might have gotten some points out of it, but I can't say for certain.

Posted by bugwar blinkin03

blinkin03 wrote:The Westin had some rooms available a few days before housing opened.

The next week after the portal had opened, I get a call from the Westin telling me that the rooms were listed as available by mistake and they were cancelling my reservation.

I just finished talking with the desk at the Westin in Indianapolis.
They said in effect that back in November there was a change in corporate owners and that due to that (change in computer reservation systems?) rooms were overbooked.

From what I've read from you, you made your reservations in January, right?

Posted by blinkin03 bugwar

bugwar wrote:
blinkin03 wrote:The Westin had some rooms available a few days before housing opened.
...The next week after the portal had opened, I get a call from the Westin telling me that the rooms were listed as available by mistake and they were cancelling my reservation.

I just finished talking with the desk at the Westin in Indianapolis.
They said in effect that back in November there was a change in corporate owners and that due to that (change in computer reservation systems?) rooms were overbooked.From what I've read from you, you made your reservations in January, right?

Yes. It was two or three days before the housing portal was opened. 

Posted by glory

Unfortunately, you are not the only one that this happened too. I've found that booking with points and my rewards membership is a pretty safe thing to do. Though, of course, I always have an option A and B. That said, I do have gold status with Bonvoy which is a slightly higher tier so that might be part of it. 

Posted by oneleafclover83

I have terrible luck with the housing lottery so I usually buy downtown hotel rooms out of block and I have about a fifty fifty chance of getting my hotel reservation cancelled. I’ve booked seven hotel rooms in the past four years and had three cancel on me. I’m kind of numb to it now honestly. This year was bad because usually my rooms get cancelled because they forget when gencon is and put out cheap hotel prices and then cancel them; this year I paid 450 a night for the Marriott and they cancelled me still.

On the the plus side I’ve never been cancelled after about February so I’ve had time to get a different room. Also one year I got the Conrad and only paid about 195 a night which is cheaper than the housing portal and they honored it. 

Posted by twilightknight bugwar

bugwar wrote:
 dranthor wrote:I know that the only sure fire way to guarentee a room is to put a deposit down and I was willing to do so.  

Considering the OP paid for the room in full, it’s not as sure fire as you would claim

Posted by squirecam twilightknight

twilightknight wrote:
bugwar wrote:

Considering the OP paid for the room in full, it’s not as sure fire as you would claim
The best way is to use a rewards program. Most hotel policies require them to have a few reward rooms available no matter what date. Get one of those and they cant cancel to move the room in a block or outside it. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.