Breakfast buffet options?
Posted by dynel

With the closing of Shula’s, I find myself loss for my favorite breakfast option. My last Gen Con, my son and I took advantage of their breakfast buffet offering, and I really liked it. Not only was the food good, it allowed us to get our meal started and finished and our “con day” started without having to wait on the server and the kitchen.  I found that a refreshing change over previous conventions.   

I don’t know too many options for breakfast downtown, and no other buffet options.  I’ve been to First Watch, and it was good and I’ve been to Steak ‘n Shake, Which is okay but can get bogged down with the sheer amount of con-goers.  I think the Hilton had a buffet some years back but I think it closed (or the restaurant stopped offering it)

Are there any other breakfast buffet options downtown?  If not, are there any hidden breakfast gems I’m missing out on?

Posted by lmengsol

Café Patachou

Posted by roderick

Standard hotel breakfast buffet at the Crowne, but it may be a bit of a walk for you. 

Posted by otthawk1

$10.00 for the Buffet at the Hyatt ... its a great breakfast bar and skywalk to the Con.

Me :)

Posted by brumcg lmengsol

lmengsol wrote:
Café Patachou

We did Café Patachou once.  It was good, but it was also a madhouse.  We had a bit of a wait, and the service was slow (they were overwhelmed).

Posted by david campbell otthawk1

otthawk1 wrote:
$10.00 for the Buffet at the Hyatt ... its a great breakfast bar and skywalk to the Con.

It's twice that at the Westin; may need to walk over and have breakfast there!

Posted by funny-shaped dice brumcg

brumcg wrote:
lmengsol wrote:
Café Patachou

We did Café Patachou once.  It was good, but it was also a madhouse.  We had a bit of a wait, and the service was slow (they were overwhelmed).

Yeahhhh. I wouldn't call Cafe Patachou a "hidden gem" unless by "hidden gem" you mean: that place *everyone* knows about.

My wife and I eat a late breakfast at Patachou on *Monday* morning just before we hit the road for home. I wouldn't go near there during the con unless you've got lots of time to spare.

Its okay... but not worth a long wait...but YMMV; I dont think *any place* is worth a long wait. When it comes down to it: its eggs and toast...

Posted by indyfoodguy

My recommendation is to never, ever, under any circumstances, consider eating at a breakfast buffet.

Hope this helps!

Posted by dynel indyfoodguy

indyfoodguy wrote:
My recommendation is to never, ever, under any circumstances, consider eating at a breakfast buffet.
Hope this helps!
Haha, no, not terribly helpful but I do appreciate your reply!  :)

I like the buffet not for sheer quantity of food available or variety (though variety is usually a good thing) but for quickness and ease.  Shula's had really good food (in my opinion) and we were in and out and onto the con fairly quick.  Same with McCormick's at the Hilton.  

I appreciate the options given.  Sound like Café Patachou might be a little slow for me.  The one at the Westin was Shula's, and with it closing, I might have to check out the Hyatt.

Posted by indyfoodguy dynel

dynel wrote:
indyfoodguy wrote:
Hope this helps!
Haha, no, not terribly helpful but I do appreciate your reply!  :)I like the buffet not for sheer quantity of food available or variety (though variety is usually a good thing) but for quickness and ease.  Shula's had really good food (in my opinion) and we were in and out and onto the con fairly quick.  Same with McCormick's at the Hilton.  
I appreciate the options given.  Sound like Café Patachou might be a little slow for me.  The one at the Westin was Shula's, and with it closing, I might have to check out the Hyatt.

Aside from the typical Milktooth and Cafe Patachou, consider the following quick, cheaper options then:

• Lincoln Square Pancake House
  • Three Sisters Cafe
  • Long's Bakery
  • The Garden Table

I sometimes cheat and stop in at Whole Foods to grab a good, quick breakfast, too.

Posted by dynel

Yeah, quick is the key for me.  I don't want to spend a whole lot of time eating breakfast, so fast options are what I am looking for.  Lunch and dinner I like to spend a little more time on (to take a break or to unwind after a long day) so that's not a concern.  Appreciate the options, foodguy!

Posted by mhayward1978 lmengsol

lmengsol wrote:
Café Patachou

Patachou is amazing but it's pretty much the opposite of what the OP is asking for.  As it's gotten more and more popular over the last 3-4 years it can easily be a 30+ minute wait to be seated.

It truly was a hidden gem maybe 5 years ago, but now the secret is out.

You can still get in and out pretty well if you get there right at 8 on Saturday or Sunday (when they open) or before 8:15 on Thursday/Friday.

Posted by cincinatas

Pearings Cafe is a great little gem. Their crepes (sweet and savory), smoothies, and coffee are delicious with almost all of their ingredients sourced locally. They would at least work for Thursday and Friday, but they unfortunately do not open until 11am and noon respectively on Saturday and Sunday.

Posted by andrewj.rager otthawk1

otthawk1 wrote:
Is it really only $10? I thought it was a lot more for some reason. We stay in the Hyatt and never really gave breakfast there a thought since we expected it to be a lot. Might have to try that one day.

We stop at Meijer on the way to Indy since we drive and get breakfast and snack options there. So we don't usually go out for breakfast. For quick and cheap, that's the best route.

Posted by rutherfordr

According to the Westin Indianapolis web site, Shula's has been replaced by a restaurant called "Nourish".

I expect it will be the same breakfast they've always had, just under a different name.

Posted by andrewj.rager andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
otthawk1 wrote:
Is it really only $10? I thought it was a lot more for some reason. We stay in the Hyatt and never really gave breakfast there a thought since we expected it to be a lot. Might have to try that one day.We stop at Meijer on the way to Indy since we drive and get breakfast and snack options there. So we don't usually go out for breakfast. For quick and cheap, that's the best route.
So i looked this up and its wrong. The Buffet is $20 listed on the Hyatt website. Not sure where the poster got $10 from.

Posted by llenlleawg

You might want to consider First Watch (Market Tower), 193 N Illinois St., about a 10 minute walk from the ICC. It's not a buffet, but they have great, fresh food, and they open at 7 am.

Posted by david campbell andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:
otthawk1 wrote:
Is it really only $10? I thought it was a lot more for some reason. We stay in the Hyatt and never really gave breakfast there a thought since we expected it to be a lot. Might have to try that one day.We stop at Meijer on the way to Indy since we drive and get breakfast and snack options there. So we don't usually go out for breakfast. For quick and cheap, that's the best route.
So i looked this up and its wrong. The Buffet is $20 listed on the Hyatt website. Not sure where the poster got $10 from.

I guess $10 was too good to be true; thanks for saving me the walk!

Posted by bergec

They used to offer a discount for Gen Con attendees, but haven't done so in years.

Posted by waxahachie

I don't know about buffets, but last year before GMing AM games I went to Subway for a breakfast sandwich. There is no line and it was fast and cheap.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.