Hotel deposit...when?
Posted by dynel

Just wondering when this happens.  According to the email I got back when i got my room:

After housing registration closes on July 15, 2019 the assigned hotel(s) will charge a non-refundable deposit equal to one-night stay plus tax per room to issue reservations confirming each assignment. The non-refundable deposit also serves as the reservation cancellation fee if the guest cancels with the hotel directly after July 15, 2019.

So I was curious if this started happening yet.  I know it hasn't been 24 hours yet.  I only go every two years, and I don't remember last time when the deposit came out.

Posted by maijstral2

I think it differs depending on the chain. I've been charged right away and sometimes a few days later.

And while I haven't received a confirmation email from them the hotel(staybridge suites) has already charged my card.

Posted by cman811

The Hyatt Regency charged me at around 4pm.  

Posted by dynel

Well, I certainly don't want to seem impatient. This, however, is one of my irrational fears - that my reservation gets lost and I'm stuck without a room. I try not to let it get to me, but every time I go to Gen Con I have this worry. Crazy, I know!

My reservation this time around is at the Hilton, a place I've stayed a couple times before. They didn't have an issue those times, so I'm hopeful that they are just a little slow in charging the deposit.

Posted by sstalker23

If you have an account with the hotel chain you can verify they have the reservation.  I have a res at the Marriott and it shows in my Marriott account even though I have not been charged the deposit yet.

Posted by dynel

I have Hilton Honors, but since I don’t have the actual confirmation number (only the acknowledgement number thing) I can’t locate it or Aden it to my HH account for points.

I did dig out another email that says:

Hotels will begin charging deposits and issuing guest reservations as early as 12:00 am EST, Tuesday July 16. Please allow 24 to 72 hours for processing prior to contacting the hotel about your reservation. 

So, if I don’t hear anything by later today I’ll give them a call.

Posted by burrfoot72 cman811

cman811 wrote:
The Hyatt Regency charged me at around 4pm.  

Well look at that.....they took my deposit too.  Nice to know.  

Posted by traveller

Posted by rhapsodic_college_dropout

I just got off the phone with Sheraton City Centre and they notified me that Gen Con has not supplied them with the reservation rooms List yet. Come on Gen Con, don't let me down on this one; I actually got lucky this year and got a downtown room.

Posted by therealeljeffe

Does anyone know if the Westin has gotten their room list?

Posted by buffythecatslayer rhapsodic_college_dropout

rhapsodic_college_dropout wrote:I just got off the phone with Sheraton City Centre and they notified me that Gen Con has not supplied them with the reservation rooms List yet. Come on Gen Con, don't let me down on this one; I actually got lucky this year and got a downtown room.

It has nothing to do with Gen Con.  The service that handles the room bookings (Q-rooms) is responsible for transferring the info to the hotels.

Everyone, stop freaking out that your hotel doesn't have the information yet.  Last year it took over a week before Hampton Inn had the info, and it will probably take up to that long for some hotels this year.

Posted by dynel rhapsodic_college_dropout

rhapsodic_college_dropout wrote:
I just got off the phone with Sheraton City Centre and they notified me that Gen Con has not supplied them with the reservation rooms List yet. Come on Gen Con, don't let me down on this one; I actually got lucky this year and got a downtown room.
Yep, I got off the phone with the Hilton a little while ago and they said the same thing - it didn't look like they got their list yet.  She said it usually takes a couple of days (speaking from experience?) and told me that if I don't see a CC charge by Friday, to give them a call back.

Interestingly, between then and now, I got another hotel acknowledgment email that looks like the one I got back when I originally reserved the room.

Posted by shortred20 therealeljeffe

therealeljeffe wrote:
Does anyone know if the Westin has gotten their room list?
I'm at the Westin too, and no it does not seem to have come up yet.

Posted by bushmaster

It is entertaining watching people freak out about the handoff of hotel reservations every year. 

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Don't Panic

Could not get the image to embed in the post...

Posted by shadowsummoner

Just checked my bank and the JW has charged their deposit as well.

Posted by dynel

I don't think anyone is seriously freaking out.  I made this thread to find out what the status was of hotel room deposits, because I was genuinely curious if others have seen deposits hit yet (and a little paranoia, but far from freaking or panicking).  :)

To those not interested in participating in the discussion, or only participating to be derogatory, I kindly ask you to not threadcrap.  

Posted by hawkeye dynel

dynel wrote:
I have Hilton Honors, but since I don’t have the actual confirmation number (only the acknowledgement number thing) I can’t locate it or Aden it to my HH account for points.
Hotels will begin charging deposits and issuing guest reservations as early as 12:00 am EST, Tuesday July 16. Please allow 24 to 72 hours for processing prior to contacting the hotel about your reservation. 

I also have a HH account, and my reservation at Embassy Suites is already showing in there (I gave Q Rooms my HH# when making the reservation). I also have a pending charge for 1 night on my credit card that was put on there today.

Posted by dynel hawkeye

hawkeye wrote:
dynel wrote:

I also have a HH account, and my reservation at Embassy Suites is already showing in there (I gave Q Rooms my HH# when making the reservation). I also have a pending charge for 1 night on my credit card that was put on there today.
Yeah, I totally forgot to do that.  Don't know why I forgot to do it.  

Posted by xcoconutmonkey06x

I am staying at the JW Marriott and I got my initial deposit charge last night at around 7pm Eastern. No email confirmation yet though. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.