When is the event schedule available
Posted by deadsaidfred

I can’t remember about when the event schedule is available for review.  Hoping someone can give an idea...

Thanks-

Posted by wdavidlewis

I think it's ten days to two weeks before event registration.  Registration is 17-May so probably early May.

Posted by buffythecatslayer

If it's like previous years, May 3, 2 weeks before registration.

Posted by deadsaidfred

Thanks wdavid & buffy!

Posted by stahlnee

Looking forward to seeing the event catalog in 10 days.

Posted by helenbb

1 more week!

Posted by donaldbain helenbb

helenbb wrote:
1 more week!
Until the assumed, projected date based on previous, no-binding experience, give or take 5-7 days.  We think.

Posted by captain 10beers

They need to make a official decision on if they will be having the convention this year.  They can’t release the event schedule until they do.

Posted by donaldbain

Why not?

Posted by del_grande donaldbain

My best guess: to avoid the hassle of having to refund everybody's event fees. How many events fill up pretty much immediately, so telling people to wait and see if it will be cancelled will fall on deaf ears?

Posted by aegoce

They could release the schedule, it doesn't become a potential financial problem until actual registration day May 17.  People might end up wasting time building wishlists that don't get processed.  That could be a bit annoying, but at least it would eat up time we're mostly stuck at home anyway for.

Posted by hendelbolaf

Refunding the event tickets or giving system credit will be relatively easy and not overly costly. The large cost is if they cannot recap the investment in the convention center and their overhead, including any costs associated with the hotel block.

My hope is that we still have a convention, even if it is not at 60,000 plus attendees.

My greater hope is that this does not bankrupt the Con as I don't think they run the greatest of profitability margins. It is all just speculation at this point.

My events have been submitted for a few months now and I will be there if there is still a convention.

Posted by donaldbain

I'd like to see the see the event list.  I go through it trying to find new games that sound interesting to try out.  If GC is cancelled this year, I'll look into some of the games I find on the list and buy them through the publisher. 

Posted by matthias9 captain 10beers

captain 10beers wrote:
They need to make a official decision on if they will be having the convention this year.  They can’t release the event schedule until they do.

They have made a decision and an announcement:  "We will begin by posting this:

At this time, we do not anticipate a cancellation or alteration of our plans for Gen Con 2020. Should our plans change based on recommendations from the CDC or the State of Indiana, we will promptly inform our attendees."

Yes, as they say in the announcement, that could change.  But, that's 2020 for you...

Posted by captain 10beers matthias9

matthias9 wrote:
captain 10beers wrote:

They have made a decision and an announcement:  "We will begin by posting this:At this time, we do not anticipate a cancellation or alteration of our plans for Gen Con 2020. Should our plans change based on recommendations from the CDC or the State of Indiana, we will promptly inform our attendees."
Yes, as they say in the announcement, that could change.  But, that's 2020 for you...
Yeah, but have you noticed there hasn't been ANY kind of updates for 3 weeks.  You know, like NORMAL.  Guest Speakers, featured artists & musicians, and other highlighted activities.  Those usually came every Friday until the convention.

Posted by lore seeker captain 10beers

captain 10beers wrote:
matthias9 wrote:
captain 10beers wrote:

They have made a decision and an announcement:  "We will begin by posting this:At this time, we do not anticipate a cancellation or alteration of our plans for Gen Con 2020. Should our plans change based on recommendations from the CDC or the State of Indiana, we will promptly inform our attendees."
Yeah, but have you noticed there hasn't been ANY kind of updates for 3 weeks.  You know, like NORMAL.  Guest Speakers, featured artists & musicians, and other highlighted activities.  Those usually came every Friday until the convention.

The key words there being "normal" and "usually." These are not normal or usual times. All those guests' schedules are probably in flux right now as they ponder whether or not they want to venture out. As far as we know, though, the convention itself is still on.

Posted by rfsullivan

There have been a few updates over on the general thread. NASCRAG is out (and to quote their Facebook, "see you when there's a vaccine", so 2021 is up in the air as well). True Dungeon is in limbo, due to the Illinois stay-at-home order. Others no doubt will have issues depending on how much of their crews are either high risk themselves, or have high risk folks in their households. 

Posted by nascragman

I'm hopeful there will be an effective vaccine or ubiquitous testing by next August.  Nascrag is eager to get back to GenCon. 

Posted by tinabear81

Right. There’s a stay at home order in place in my state too, and non-essential travel violates that. I suppose the owner of a company like TD, which needs the cons to make money could very easily argue that travel to the cons is essential. The problem is getting enough employees and volunteers to shop up as well. 

Posted by roderick

The official thread is the place to talk about all things Coronavirus. Please take this part of the conversation there. 

https://www.gencon.com/forums/59-general-info-2020/topics/16048-official-gen-con-specific-only-coronavirus-thread

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.