2021 Downtown Room for $162/night
Posted by knuteski

(DEAL IS NOT DEAD but you must now book Mon-Sun in which case the rates start at $148/night)You must arrive on Tuesday or earlier as the price jumps for Wed arrivals.

The Tru By Hilton hotel just opened and they have rooms available for Gen Con 2021 for cheaper than the in-block rates.  Not the closest hotel but only 1 block East of the Lucas Oil Stadium.

It must be booked on Hilton.com (just search for downtown indianapolis hotels).

King rooms are even cheaper.

(Note that it says the deposit will be charged to your card but I didn't get anything charged to mine).

Posted by lore seeker

Of course, the big thing to check is whether or not it's refundable.

Posted by knuteski

Yes, 100% refundable (although again they didn't charge me) / cancellable until the day before arrival.

Posted by donaldbain

Up to $253 a night.  They must have caught on. 

Posted by knuteski donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
Up to $253 a night.  They must have caught on. 
I just checked and it's still showing $152/$162.  Make sure you pick Tuesday (or earlier) as your arrival.  It doesn't work for Wed arrival.  In fact, Tues-Sun is cheaper in total than Wed-Sun.

Edit:  I got the $253 for Wed-Sun so it appears that's what you did.  

Posted by knuteski

OK, now I'm a little nervous for the future of our convention.  There was a time (ie every year) that if there was a low priced walkable hotel room available outside of the block, it would be snatched up within minutes/hours yet this deal is still available.

This is a downtown room (yes, it's a slight longer walk but you can be inside within minutes by taking the stadium route), $40/night cheaper than in-block rooms, does not require payment before arrival (I never was charged), can be cancelled up to August, and is directly from Hilton.

What's not to like?  What am I missing?

Posted by lore seeker knuteski

knuteski wrote:
OK, now I'm a little nervous for the future of our convention.  There was a time (ie every year) that if there was a low priced walkable hotel room available outside of the block, it would be snatched up within minutes/hours yet this deal is still available.
This is a downtown room (yes, it's a slight longer walk but you can be inside within minutes by taking the stadium route), $40/night cheaper than in-block rooms, does not require payment before arrival (I never was charged), can be cancelled up to August, and is directly from Hilton.

Nobody knows what's going to happen between now and next summer. People are waiting to see how things develop before locking down any plans to the tune of several hundred to over a thousand dollars - they don't want to risk being on the hook, even if it says "refundable."

Posted by raidkillsbugsded

I think people are generally waiting to see what develops with things.  I considered setting a reservation, but my wife and I are not even totally sure we will go to GC next year, assuming it's on.  We might do something a bit different than usual after several years of attendance as a couple and my own attendance straight through since 2006. 

If you look, there really isn't even as much activity on the forums and such as you would see normally this time of year.  I think people just have a different set of priorities right now given the state of things.   

Posted by raidkillsbugsded lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:

Nobody knows what's going to happen between now and next summer. People are waiting to see how things develop before locking down any plans to the tune of several hundred to over a thousand dollars - they don't want to risk being on the hook, even if it says "refundable."

Also, what he said ^^^

Posted by dotificus knuteski

knuteski wrote:

On my Hilton Honors account, it says I will be immediately charged the full amount, so I think people are hesitating on this one for that reason. As for people hesitating about Gen Con, I think there is HUGE pent-up demand. Almost ALL the Hilton properties are already booked for Gen Con weekend. Which is way earlier than usual. Normally, you could still book the Airport Hampton Inn in September. Even some of the far away ones are full. 

I'm nervous about not being able to get our badges this year, actually. I've been checking compulsively to see if they've gone on sale ever since Mike said don't hesitate to buy yours this year. 

Posted by knuteski

Yes, I saw the same message but I booked 2 rooms and neither charged my credit.  So, I can confirm 100% that there's no charge to the account.

I rolled my badge from last year so I'm good to go in the badge department (I 100% agree that there is now pent up demand...)

Posted by mikeboozer raidkillsbugsded

raidkillsbugsded wrote:
I think people are generally waiting to see what develops with things.  I considered setting a reservation, but my wife and I are not even totally sure we will go to GC next year, assuming it's on.  We might do something a bit different than usual after several years of attendance as a couple and my own attendance straight through since 2006. 
If you look, there really isn't even as much activity on the forums and such as you would see normally this time of year.  I think people just have a different set of priorities right now given the state of things.   

There is never much activity on the forums this time of year! It starts ramping up in November/December.

Posted by knuteski

Yeah but still...it's $162! and yes you have to arrive before Wed...but it's $162 for 2Q beds ($152 for a King room I believe).

Posted by rringenbach

I read if you pay the flexible rate, you can cancel up to the day before arrival. The site suggested that you have to book this reservation by 9/30/2020.  They say they do charge the balance and I had to rent Tuesday to Friday. This is the cheapest we have ever gotten a room downtown (by a lot.) Thanks to Knuteski who started the post!

Posted by rringenbach

To clarify, I think the flexible rate (with the cancellation option) has to be booked by 9/30.

Posted by matthias9

Yeah, I'll add my thanks as well.  I also booked a room as a result of this post.

Posted by technoir knuteski

knuteski wrote:
That's not true at all. I've been booking out of block downtown rooms for right around the same price as in the block and have a lot of experience in this area

I think this one is still around because it seems to a newer hotel and so it's not as well known. 
All the usual Marriot rooms I look at are gone.
All the usual Hilton rooms I look at are gone(I of course have my room at the Embassy) 

Posted by gib_rebeg

I just checked. The rooms are gone. Ether they noted their error, or Gencon/Indy Tour contacted them informing them of it.

Ether way I do note there are a lot of impressive deals for those who are not afraid to drive 20 min. in right now. Less then $100 for some real nice hotels on the rim. Haven't seen that in a long time.

But then again, hotels are hurting bad right now and a deal is a deal.

Will say, next year will look interesting. There was an article a couple days ago talking about a large number of hotels about to fold due to lack of guest. Many in the DT area. Which could complicate our situation.

Posted by knuteski

I just checked as well and they are still available.   I have s feeling you picked a Wednesday arrival day... it has to be Tuesday or earlier to get the lower price

Posted by urielblue

It's listing as 249/night now,and I tried booking Tuesday through Monday checkout.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.