VIG Lottery
Posted by graysinger

How do I put my name in the hat for the VIG lottery??

Posted by noone

As per the GenCon VIG page:

To enter the random selection process for the 2020 show please send your Gen Con ID number, name, and the email associated with that account between November 15 and December 8, 2019 to [email protected] and we will enter you into the random selection process. You must have a Gen Con account to enter. You must be 18 years old to purchase a VIG package.

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Seems like it's too late, unless they allow late entries.

Posted by narzat

I suggest you put a reminder on your calendar for next year, assuming you'll be attending.  Dates will probably be similar.  Too easy to forget otherwise!  Also make sure that you are on the Gen Con email distro list, follow the official and fan social media pages, etc. so you'll get notifications of this and similar important info.  Good luck!

Posted by audioslave

I don't think they will allow late entries, seeing as that the VIG drawing happened last week. 

Posted by mikeboozer audioslave

audioslave wrote:
I don't think they will allow late entries, seeing as that the VIG drawing happened last week. 

Hello,
We do not allow late entries.
For next year you can find The entry information on the VIG page at the bottom:
https://www.gencon.com/attend/VIG

Posted by sstalker23

Can you share any information on when the actual lottery/VIG notification will take place?

Thanks!

Posted by austicke

Many folks were notified a couple weeks ago, but often last minute slots open up when returning VIGs don't renew.

Posted by mikeboozer sstalker23

sstalker23 wrote:
Can you share any information on when the actual lottery/VIG notification will take place?
Thanks!

The random selection process has taken place and people are being notified if they have been selected.
As Alec said some last minute slots do open up so some people will be notified later.

Mike

Posted by flamepulse

I honestly would like to know what past VIG's have gotten in their Gift Bags and Exlusive coupons.  $700 is alot of money for just for 10 minute head start to the vendors room and a special lounge.

Posted by mikeboozer flamepulse

flamepulse wrote:
I honestly would like to know what past VIG's have gotten in their Gift Bags and Exlusive coupons.  $700 is alot of money for just for 10 minute head start to the vendors room and a special lounge.

You can go here to see what the program and benefits entail:
https://www.gencon.com/attend/vig

Others can tell you what the program values are specifically for themselves.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager (VIG wrangler)
Gen Conn LLC

Posted by fethbone flamepulse

flamepulse wrote:
 I am not a VIG and have never participated in the program, but at one point my group did discuss trying to get at least one person a VIG badge mainly for the purposes of having first dibs on the housing portal. Obviously, I don't know how baller the the gifts and privileges really are in practice, but as a newb the main reason I would want to participate in VIG is for the housing dibs. 

I will say that last year my group was finishing dinner upstairs as the VIG Mixer was starting downstairs at Oceanaire Seafood, and it looked like a very nice party, assuming the food and drinks were included.

Posted by ryric

This will be my 3rd year as a VIG. First, they took away the early dealer hall access, so that's not a thing any more. The swag bag is generally pretty good, the last two years I'd say it's a couple dozen games of various price points, genres, and style. You also get a backpack, a t-shirt, and other goodies like mugs/tumblers, shot glass, and so forth. The lounge is nice - I do Gen Con with a bunch of non-VIG friends so I don't really "hang out" there, but free drinks and coffee is great, and the bag check is awesome when you want to lighten your load. The lounge also has a dedicated ticket booth so you can register for events and buy generics with basically no line. The lounge staff is always super nice. I haven't done the mixer so I can't speak to it - I'd rather be having dinner with my friends I only see once a year. There is a "backstage tour" which is quite good and certainly worth doing. 

The big perk is really the early hotel registration. If you are a VIG you will probably get exactly the hotel you want, although there is some competition for rare rooms like suites within those hotels. 

If you're really curious about the swag bag contents there are "unboxing" videos on Youtube with previous VIG bags. 

Posted by mikeboozer fethbone

fethbone wrote:
flamepulse wrote:
 I am not a VIG and have never participated in the program, but at one point my group did discuss trying to get at least one person a VIG badge mainly for the purposes of having first dibs on the housing portal. Obviously, I don't know how baller the the gifts and privileges really are in practice, but as a newb the main reason I would want to participate in VIG is for the housing dibs. I will say that last year my group was finishing dinner upstairs as the VIG Mixer was starting downstairs at Oceanaire Seafood, and it looked like a very nice party, assuming the food and drinks were included.

The food in drinks are included. There is no extra charge for the mixer you just need to reserve a ticket. There is limited seating so you should always sign up for it as soon as it goes live!

Posted by traveller

Hotel is nice, swag is interesting, don't discount the room and refreshments.  The bag check rocks.  Priority seating at seminars.  Our own ticket counter is a nice plus.  There are VIG only events (mixer for example), the tour, events in the room.  They can even send a runner to get your friend their badge so they don't have to wait.

Posted by brotherbock

I heard, if you're playing a 5e game, if you're a VIG and your character dies, you can pick another player's character to die instead. Just once per game though, and only 5e, harsh.

Posted by mikeboozer brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
I heard, if you're playing a 5e game, if you're a VIG and your character dies, you can pick another player's character to die instead. Just once per game though, and only 5e, harsh.

That's only if your playing in a game I'm running. However your character is also instantly resurrected in my game if you give the DM a Maple Bar, so...

Posted by brotherbock mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
brotherbock wrote:

That's only if your playing in a game I'm running. However your character is also instantly resurrected in my game if you give the DM a Maple Bar, so...

Maple bar? I am unfamiliar with Canadian nightlife, so I don't know that I can take advantage of that rule.

Posted by mikeboozer brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
brotherbock wrote:

Maple bar? I am unfamiliar with Canadian nightlife, so I don't know that I can take advantage of that rule.

I'm from Alaska...although some of my best friends are Canadian! They don't have Maple Bars where you're from?

Did I just derail a conversation?

I'll say something VIGish to get us back on track. The program's biggest draws are the hotel perk, Lounge (and all it's amenities) and the Swag. Which is largely different games or merchandise from the Exhibitorrs and a few extra goodies we throw in.

Posted by crowingcommando

The hotel perk is pretty awesome. I really enjoy the swag bag as it introduces me to a ton of games I’d probably not of had on my radar, and the game stuff in it is pretty cool. I especially loved the backpack a couple years ago and they gave us a tumbler I still use at work. The lounge is nice, really enjoy the drinks and open tables to enjoy lunch at or just chill for a minute and charge the phone. Price is steep but worth it for my vacation every year. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.